What's new

Tekken 4 Progressive? (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
The latest PS2 rumor is that people in Japan have been finding out their copy of Tekken 4 can spit out a 480p signal from their PS2. Can any importers or Japanese member confirm or dispel the rumor?

Normally I wouldn't post a thread on something like this but it has been stated by more than one source on several boards.

Here's one of the comments:

5BNC to play tekken on monitor ... but remember to set the output on ps2 to "RGB" .. otherwise u only got a green screen .. hehe but with very high resolution

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Seeing as how the PS2 is specifically designed, to the best of my knowledge, to spit out a TV signal, I doubt it can be made progressive. But I'm prepared to be wrong.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I talked with an employee of Namco and he said it's possible on a VGA monitor with "the proper cables." There's the one that comes with the Linux PS2 kit that goes straight from the PS2 to the monitor as an example. Also said that "Sony is a real b*tch about releasing the cables to support it."
One other thing I forgot that he mentioned was that Tekken 4 in the arcade is actually just a PS2 inside the big cabinet. Had slots for a memcard and everything.
Although I'm sorry to say the employee (Jason Arney, might know him as he runs most of the Namco tourneys in the states and is our best SC player) didn't know much on the subject it does look like a better possibility, at least on a computer monitor.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Is there a way to make the PS2 send out a special signal other than the normal one that would allow it to do progressive, or is progressive 100% impossible (thats what they said about 5.1 real-time, and they did it with DTS).

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
One other thing I forgot that he mentioned was that Tekken 4 in the arcade is actually just a PS2 inside the big cabinet. Had slots for a memcard and everything.
Well I guess that explains why Namco was able to make a 100% perfect port of the Arcade version :) When I first read that, I thought they were able to pull off some miracle or something :D
Brian

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
A Namco System 246 boardset is indeed based on the PS2, just like the System 11 (Tekken, Soul Blade) and System 12 (Soul Calibur, Tekken Tag) were based on the PSX. These typically have upgrades (plus modifications to keep you from hacking cheap home versions from running code that should be on expensive arcade daughterboards), and it probably has more VRAM than the PS2. It does have two clock speeds, one faster than the PS2, and can supposedly push out 5 million more polygons per second than a PS2. I haven't seem VRAM size published.

They don't make them 'just' identical to a console when they do this, and I think your friend was probably oversimplifying.

Sega has their own version of this board.

This 480p stuff should be easy to verify with a regular HDTV and PS2 component cable (though the colors might be messed up, and you might have to plug the connectors in a different sequence; there are only 6 possible combinations and something should sync). The PS2 does not detect what type of cable is inserted, and RGB uses the same pins as component.

paul h

Supporting Actor
Have just read this on IGN who say they have the import version in their grubby hands!

"Owners of high quality televisions (at least higher quality than my LG monoaurial dome-shaped set) should take note: the back of the box proudly proclaims Progressive-scan compatibility. You can probably expect an arcade perfect image if you`ve got the proper screen"

RANDY FISHER

Second Unit
IGN just opened up their Tekken 4 import review to the general public and have verified that it supports a progressive scan TV.
"Visually, Tekken 4 doesn't look too much different than its arcade counterpart unless you have a high definition television. The first game to support true progressive scan, T4 on one of the high-end monitors is a beauty."
Randy;)

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
Just got the game - the back of the box has a logo saying "Progressive 525p"

I don't have an HDTV, though....

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The Naomi, designed to be very similar in design to a Dreamcast, and allowing for easy porting.
Yeah, but not any more.

I meant that Sega has their own version of the PS2 chipset based, System 246 board.

Sega is done with the hardware market, and that includes the arcades. So they are licensing Sony tech.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Haven't Sega been involved in Triforce as well, along with Nintendo? As thats built up from the Gamecube chipset, it only leaves NVidia's chipset in the X-Box without an arcade counterpart.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
SEGA's Naomi 3 board is just an Xbox...so they have all the current consoles running in the Arcades.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
[linkhttp://www.gamers.com/news/1126169]link[/link]

By: James Mielke April 2, 2002 6:46 PM PST

While most people are content to plug their video game consoles in with the standard RCA cables (or, god forbid, with RF adapters), some swing to the higher end of audio-visual mayhem and prefer their games in as high a resolution as they can get. This usually means using either S-video, or optimally, component cables. Then, for folks who have the luxury of watching their movies on a progressive scan-enabled television, you have to have a progressive scan-enabled DVD player.

Take a look at this story for more on the specifics of progressive scan technology

Since the PS2 is a DVD player, you may have wondered if your PS2 can do progressive scan output. While the PS2 isn't currently equipped to do so, we're still glad to confirm that, yes, it can.

To get the full poop, we contacted Seth Luisi, producer on SOCOM: Navy Seals, over at Sony to see what he had to say on the subject. Word up, yo!

"The PS2 can indeed output in progressive scan and the new Sony Libraries that were just released allow PS2 developers to do Anamorphic Widescreen Progressive Scan output in their games. Actually, Tekken4, which was just released in Japan, is the first PS2 game with progressive scan output.

"We are actually considering adding progressive scan output to SOCOM but we may not be able to do to our tight schedule. In order to do progressive scan output you need to run with a full size frame buffer, not a half size frame buffer that is interlaced, which is what a lot of PS2 games use in order to save VRAM. In order to realistically use a full size frame buffer you have to use dynamic texturing and store a lot of your textures in main RAM, which is the method that SOCOM and most advanced 3rd generation PS2 games will use.

"Dynamic texturing has many pluses besides just allowing a full size frame buffer and progressive scan output. With dynamic texturing, the amount VRAM in the PS2 does not matter because you are only using it as a texture cache, as it was meant to be used. We use over 4MB of textures for our character models in SOCOM alone, even though the PS2 only has 4MB of VRAM. The textures are swapped into and out of VRAM every game frame (1/60th or 1/30th of a second) which the PS2 can do since it has such fast memory access.

"Regarding DVD playback, I am not certain it will be included in the future. However, it is definitely possible and since SCEI has made Anamorphic Widescreen Progressive Scan output available for game it only makes sense to add it to the next release of the DVD Drivers."

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
The X-Box was all set to be progressive scan DVD as well, but the movie industry had a fit over the prospect. Thus, Microsoft was forced to disable progressive scan movie playback before its release.

Therefore, I highly doubt progressive scan DVD playback is in either PS2's or X-Box's future.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Heck yea!! I posted a rumor that turned out to be true, you heard it here first folks! :D

Troy_M

Stunt Coordinator
To all the non-believers out there, I can officially confirm that Tekken 4 supports progressive scan output. All you need are component cables(of course). Right after you pop the game in, hold triangle and x until a screen appears that gives you the 525p option, move the cursor left and voila! Crispness unparalled! You guys are not ready for these crisp graphics! PS2 is the system to own!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks