PS2 flickering

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cory R. B., Apr 19, 2002.

1. Cory R. B.

Cory R. B. Stunt Coordinator

In PS2 games, and even in the browser, words, especially light colored ones, flicker to a good extent. You can noticeably see it. I'm using component cables on an HDTV. Is this the flickering associated with 480i which the removal of is what makes 480p look so much better? If so, I can't wait for Tekken 4 and some progressive capable games.

2. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

Yep.

That's interlace flicker. How noticeable it is depends on the CRT.

The CRT's phosphors have an exponential falloff function that defines how bright they are at a time t after they are initially drawn (or, more accurately, how much energy remains at a time t). On a progressive scan display, each phosphor is lit every 1/60 of a second, which means that phosphors aren't allowed to get as dark as they can on an interlaced display (which allows each phosphor 1/30 of a second to dim).

With bright-color lettering (or images), alternating scanlines are separated by approximately 1/60 of a second on the falloff function, so even if they are supposed to be colored identically, there will be a significant difference in the energy levels between neighboring phosphors. Since the brighter scanline changes every 1/60 of a second, you see strobing/flickering.

Progressive scan also fixes a number of other errors, but interlace flicker is a big one.

3. Cory R. B.

It's funny because I don't notice it all the time, I only really see it after the TV has warmed up, like been on at least 10 minutes. Right when you turn it on, like after only 2 minutes, everything seems more solid.

4. Cory R. B.

I know this topic is old. But it's still bothering me. It's there sometimes, then other times it's perfectly still, no flickering at all. It's usually fine at first, then flickers as time goes on.

5. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

I'm not sure if I get flicker.... but....

I DO notice that the pixels on the screen seem to edge back and forth sometimes. I'm using the Sony Component Cables hooked to a Samsung HD-ready TV (with a line-doubler). Is THAT component flicker?

6. Cory R. B.

Ya. I'm not sure if it is technically flickering or just them moving. But there's definitely something changing.