What's new

Swan Diva/AV123/Athena/Boston Acoustics/Polk/Infinty/BIC... HELP (1 Viewer)

shockemags

Agent
Real Name
Joe Johnson
Ok I have been researching for almost 3 months and finally have a set budget for speakers and created several different packages/options. Many of you have helped me get to where I am but I am to the point where I feel I know what to look for and what I want but I just can't narrow it down so I need some help...again. Please give me your honest opinions and, as always, any feed back is appreciated...

***Preface***
This will be in an apartment. Used for 60% HT/TV/Gaming & 40% Music. My A/V Receiver will be an Onkyo 605.

The Room will look like...

Options
1. The Bank Breaker
Swan Diva 5.1-BC (2 Pair) - $549 per pair/$1098 + $200 Est. Shipping
Swan Diva C3-BC - $329
Total: $1627
It is only a 5.0 system but if they are as good as the look and ppl say I do not mind breaking my budget for quality and adding a sub later.

2. The Good Guys
AV123 X-CS - $139
AV123 X-MTM - R/L Fronts - $449
AV123 X-SLS - R/L Rears - $319
X-Sub - $199
Est. Shipping - $237 Total: $1343
Great Company, Even better owner. Awesome communication. Highly recommended. Great price. 5.1 but not a huge fan of the "boxey" looks.

3. The Feng-Shui
Athena WS-100 - 2 pair - $499.99 per pair/$999.98
Athena WS-60 - Center - $169.99
X-Sub - $199 + $33 Shipping = $232
Total: $1401.97
Very cool looking speakers. Good on the Budget. 5.1. But how do they sound?

4. Old School
Boston Acoustics VR3 - R/L Front - $559.94 (Pair)
Boston Acoustics VR2 R/L Rear - $428.65 (Pair)(+ Tax - 10% off)
Boston Acoustics VRC - $216.49
Total: $1437.08
Very old school, quality feel to them. Nice to be able to go hear them at CC and if necessary return them. 5.1. Good on budget but can they compete with the internet speaker companies?

5. The Fail-Safe
Polk Monitor 70 - R/L Front - $719.92 (Pair)
Polk Monitor 50 - R/L Rear - $359.92 (Pair)
Polk CSi5 - $280.51 (w/ Shipping)
Total: $1593.10
Name Brand. Nice system. 5.1. A little too expensive for what I feel like I'm getting but if Polk are as good as the name would suggest I'll get them.

6. Captain America
BIC America DV-84 - R/L Front - $354.82 (Pair w/ Shipping)
BIC America DV-64 - R/L Rear - $286.49 (Pair w/ Shipping)
BIC America DV-62CLR - Center - $102
Total: $975.32
Way under budget and I would love to have the money but I do not want to sacrifice quality. I have heard about their subs but how are their speakers? If they are close to the other packages is it worth saving the money?

7. To Infinity & Beyond...?
BETA 50 - R/L Front/Rear - $679.52
C360 - Center - $299.99
Total: $1311.51
Great Reviews. Great Price. 5.1. A little square and bulky but willing to sacrifice appearance for good quality for the money...

8. The Snob
Polk CSi5 - $280.51 (w/ Shipping)
Polk Rti10 - R/L Front - $698.52 (Pair w/ shipping)
Polk RTi8 - R/L Rear - $532.86 (Pair w/ Shipping)
Total: $1511.89
Very tight on the budget. Great reviews... from Polkies. Appear to be a top of the line speaker for a top of the line price. Can I do better for the money?

So that is where I am at right now. Please give any feed back. Yay or nay on brand/packages. Suggestions. Any help is much appreciated.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Joe:

I am biased towards the Swans and Axioms because I have heard them both and either one would be a good choice. Email Jon at The Audio Insider and tell him I sent you and see what kind of deal he can work out for you. Or do the same with Amie at Axiom Audio and see what they can do for you. Either company is going to give you a great product with fantastic customer service after the sale. And if you tell them that you got to them thru HTF they might even give you a better deal than you can get elsewhere.

Parker

shockemags

Agent
Real Name
Joe Johnson

Thanks Parker. I emailed him and I am waiting to hear back. Hopefully I can work something out; those Swans are beautiful. I will keep you updated.

shockemags

Agent
Real Name
Joe Johnson
Thanks everyone. I am going to remove the Athena, Boston Acoustics, Polk Monitor's, Infinty, & BIC America Packages from my list. Making my short list...

Swan Diva 5.1BC - (2 Pair) - R/L Front/Rear - $1098 + Shipping ($200 - EST)
Swan Diva C3 BC - Center - $329
Total: $1627

X-CS - Center - $139
X-MTM - R/L Front - $449
X-SLS - R/L Rear - $319
X-Sub - $199
Shipping - $237 Total: $1343

Polk RTi10 - R/L Front - $698.52
Polk RTi8 - R/L Rear - $532.86
Polk CSi5 - Center - $280.51
Total: $1511.89

Any input will help me very much...

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I recently replaced Polk RTi's with Swan Diva's and feel the Swans are quite a bit better than the Polks in most ways and a whole lot better in the rest. Just my opinion of course. The Polks served me well for almost two years but I just felt they were a bit to brite, or harsh, for my liking. Nothing about the Swans jumped out at me, except for their stunning good looks. Just very smooth and accurate for a speaker in their price range. And after six months they have turned out to be an absolute delight to listen to. I got my 5.1's, 3C and 2.1's from OZHometheater for $1375 shipped. BTW, why towers for rears? I'm using 2.1 bookshelves for surrounds and they're overkill for me.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Instead of 2 pairs of of 5.1s I'd give much more consideration to 6.1s for fronts and 2.1s for surrounds w/ the same C3 center. The 6.1s will put out VERY acceptable bass in a small room and there's no need at all for tower surrounds (unless you would be listening to a LARGE amount of DVD-A and SACD, and even then...). Check out OZ Home Theater... they have free shipping on all the Swans right now. 6.1BC Mains, 2.1BC surrounds, and C3BC would come in at $1510 and would easily produce enough bass to do without a subwoofer until you can save for an SVS PB10/12 or similar.

shockemags

Agent
Real Name
Joe Johnson
I am going with the Swans :CHEERS: For the rears, Would the 4.1s or 2.1, R3, or R2 on stands be better for movies/gaming? I will prob just use 2.1 or 2.0 for music. Thanks.

4.1, 2.1, R3, R2

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The R3 and R2 need to be wall mounted... I wouldn't use them on stands unless it was a temporary setup. The 4.1s don't offer anything over the 2.1s... both go as low and the 2.1s do it in a smaller form factor. I would go with the 2.1s for rears if they're going to be on stands.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Bookshelves also offer a little more placement flexibility than towers. But you will need hefty stands for the 2.1's. I use four-post, two tier solid wood plant stands under mine. Got them at an un-finished furniture store. And while I agree with Stephen that the 6.1's are a hell-uv-a speaker, you will still need a good sub for movies so I suggest you stick with the 5.1's and get an SVS-HSU-etc later on. A powered sub will also help relieve some of the strain on the 605 as it tries to power the Swans which are a little more power hungry than the RTi's.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If you know it's going to be awhile before you get a sub I'd still go with the 6.1s... the 5.1s seemed to be designed with a powered sub in mind and offer less low-end than even the 4.1s. For home theater a powered sub is a definite must but if you're going to have to do without for awhile regardless then definitely go with the 6.1s so you'll have the low-end filled in better in the meantime.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
That does make a great deal of sense. However, by saving $250-300 on the 5.1's the wait probably won't be that long. Also, it looks like the listening area isn't all that big. 6.1's and a future SVS/HSU might be too much. I guess it will come down to saving a little money in the long run or getting a little more bass for the short run. Either way, he'll have an outstanding system for the price when he's done.Audio Insider has the 4.1's @ 40hz and the 5.1's @ 45. Oz has the 4.1's @ 45 and the 5.1's @ 37. I'm more inclined to believe Audio Insider but Oz's makes little more sense.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm with you beleiving TAI over OZ because I've seen Jon Lane speak to the fact that the 5.1s are designed to be used w/ a powered sub in an HT environment while the 4.1s are designed for more casual 2ch listening where footprint is an important factor as well (with the 6.1s being for all-out 2ch while still matching up for HT). I am, however, curious as to why the discrepency between TAI and Oz because my dealings with Steve have all been very straight-forward and he doesn't seem like the kind of guy I would expect to fudge on anything either.

One thing to consider is the price difference between the 5.1BC and 6.1BC isn't that great... even with TAI selling the 5.1BC at $550/pr they're also charging somewhat high prices for shipping. Oz has the 6.1 for $850 w/ free shipping, so the price difference is probably more like $100 - $150. If it were going to be a month or two before he added a good sub then I'd say go w/ the 5.1s to save the $$ towards the sub. If it's going to be 6 months or more regardless then I'd say get the better speakers... I know from having to live without a sub for almost a year that the 6.1s make it a VERY acceptable comprimise... and this is coming from someone who LOVES the low-end of a good sub.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
To add to the confusion I looked at the label on the back of one of my 5.1's and it says 36-20k. In any event, it will be interesting to find out what Joe decides on.

shockemags

Agent
Real Name
Joe Johnson
Thanks guys. Yalls converstaion has been more than helpful. I am going with the 5.1s, C3, and 4.1s.

Reasoning... This is a college apartment with 3 other 20-somethings so when I factor in the cost of nice, sturdy stands to the 2.1s. I feel it would be money better surved with the 4.1s plus the added sturdiness of towers. I already know the placement of the speakers and it would not change rather it was the 4.1s or 2.1s on stands.

The 6.1s are amazing looking (and I can only imagine sound amazing) but I feel with the deal on the 5.1s; it would be better to save that money towards a sub. There is a chance of another bonus and I would use that money on a sub so it could be added within a few weeks of the speakers but worst case scenario I will keep saving up towards a nice sub and ideally have month within 2 or 3 months.

Any suggestions on a nicely priced sub to match those swans? Remember this is an apartment and budget is tight.

As always, Thanks.

mazersteven

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Mazer

That's not all that's "tight" in a college dorm. LOL :laugh:
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
There are some great sub options to consider depending on what you consider your price-range. Starting at $150 is the Dayton Sub120k 12" that gets down around 25hz in-room. For around $300 there's the Dayton 15" Sub kit that should go down around 22hz in room. There's also the BIC Acoustech H100 for around $300 that should have similar output. For around $400 there's the SVS PB10-NSD that would be solid down to 18hz in-room, down into the transonic range.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'd say the best value is the best you can afford without feeling bad about how much you spend. I'd say the Sub120k wouldn't satisfy for long... and the PB10-NSD might be overkill... so the Dayton 15" kit or BIC Acoustech H100 might represent the best value. But if you can afford the PB10-NSD and not have any buyers remorse then I'd say that's the way to go.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I would go with the SV PB10-NSD without question. Definitely worth the money and a lot of smile factor once you have one in your setup.

Parker

inthezone

Grip
Real Name
Dave
Since I'm a newbie trying to select my first set of HT speakers, this thread has been VERY informative. Seems like the ideal is Swan Diva with an SVS sub. My only question on SVS is what's the best way to go, with the round 20-39 PCi or square PB12-NSD?:crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks