What's new
World Wide Stereo

SVS PB2-Plus Pre-Orders - Who's In? (1 Viewer)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
OK - it's official. Pre-orders are open for the killer PB2-Plus. Boy howdy is this sub gonna light up my HT room.

Can't quite squeeze in dual cylinders, and true Reference Level bass is now within the reach of my sweaty palms. :D

I saw some posts from early adopters at the end of the "PB2+ Pics" thread and I figured this event deserved its own thread. I'm on board - how many others took the plunge? :emoji_thumbsup:

Regards,

Ed

728x90

Chip E

Screenwriter
Well, i'm in but, turns out i'll have to wait about a month. Cash flow issues related to building my basement HT. Right now all the cash i have on tap needs to go into material for the room. In a month i have a nice fat check coming my way. I WILL have a PB2+ in my room.

Ed, when you get yours , i'll be looking for a review right away ! This is my first post with my scream'n new DELL (2.8 gig, 512 megs ram, loaded.. ;) What a far cry from the PII 450 i've been using the last 4 years..

Erich S

Agent
I have pre-ordered the PB2-Plus. The computer upgrade (from a 400MHz AMD K6 III) will just have to wait. Won't have time to use the computer since I'll need to watch all my DVDs again once the PB2 arrives.

Arnold_R

Stunt Coordinator
Excuse me if this question has been asked before, but would (2) PB2+ roughly be equal to a B4-Plus?

Thanks

Arnold

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Chip:

I upgraded my PC about a year ago - HP 2.0 gHz, 512 RAM, 80 gig hardrive, cable modem (thank you God). It blows through everything I throw at it.

And yes, I will post a thorough review of the PB2-Plus, with design highlights, in-room FR charts for all states of tune, subjective/objective reviews for DVD movies with time stamps and SPL peaks, and subjective reviews for all types of music.

Arnold_R:

While Tom V would be able to answer this best, dual PB2-Plus would certainly give a single B4-Plus a run for the money. The driver compliment will be the same, and the dual PB2-Plus will actually have a 50% advantage in port area. The B4-Plus can be driven with a bit more power, than 1800 watts, though. Too close to call in my book. The fact that you can buy dual PB2-Plus with on board amps for a bit less than a passive B4-Plus really speaks to its performance value. Of course, the B4-Plus has the gorgeous furniture grade wood finish and that's where much of it's higher cost comes in. I'm sure the PB2-Plus would cost far more with a furniture grade finish. I'm big on utility and performance and the understated black textured finish is right up my alley and will blend in well with the rest of my system.

Chris Carroll:

Are you SURE you are ready for this sub? Looking at what you are upgrading from makes this almost unfair. Almost. :b

Ed

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I sold my Servo 15 about 2 weeks ago.I still have a Von Schweikert Audio S/3 sub tuned to 20hz.I have been wanting to get close to Reference bass in my 7500+ cubi Ft. room. I'm hoping this will get me close. My order is in! I spent about 2 months agonizing over this decision. I was tempted by the Tumult driver (Denali)but after a couple of long conversatins with TV and having owned a 20-39CS before went with the PB+2.Now, the wait is on. So much for the MC-8.

Arnold_R

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Edward. The PB2+ would be a little cheaper than the B4+ due to the built-in amp. I guess I'll have to wait for some actual user reports.

Thanks,

Arnold

Chris Carroll

Auditioning
Are you SURE you are ready for this sub? Looking at what you are upgrading from makes this almost unfair. Almost.
I'm probably not ready, but I can't wait! The PV-1000 is a nice sub, but leaves me kind of underwhelmed. It just doesn’t have much punch.

I'm starting to upgrade the components in my room and have decided to start with this beast! Based on your comments, you don't seem to think I'll be disappointed. :D

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Based on your comments, you don't seem to think I'll be disappointed.
Chris, casting aside my usual political correctness in a moment of careless abandon, you can rest assured the PB2-Plus will CRUSH the PV1000 into complete and utter oblivion in all measureable performance parameters. "Underwhelmed" is not a word found in the PB2-Plus' vocabulary.

Ed

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
This is the one for me too.

Emailed Ron at SVS. Tried to see if they had a trade-in program. No such luck. Ron did say, though, that since I am a repeat buyer, there's no shipping charge on the pb2+! That'll save a few $$.

Will wait to put my order in until they are shipping. Need to sell my existing SVS, then order the pb2+. Don't want too much down time, so I'll probably wait a month before selling my old one.

As much as I love the one I've got, I can't wait for the higher output of the pb2+. And the best part is, this swap has a huge WAF!! (wife HATES the black water heater in our living room.)

Was going to add high def cable this month, but a new SVS super sub wins that battle.

Michael

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Chris,

I went from the PV-1000 to the 20-39+, and I can only imagine what the PB2+ will be like...

-Robb

Arnold_R

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Edward,

I'm looking forward to your impression as well as others on the PB2+. Just curious how this sub does in music and HT. Also curious how well the sub will do on ATOC & LOTR and if the sub seems as it's being strained. I was thinking of getting the up & coming Rocket Reference sub, but the PB2+ has my curiosity. I currently have an older Larger VMPS Sub powered by 700W QSC amp. I'm still in the research mode.

Thanks,

Arnold

James^Brian

Agent
I'm agonizing whether to pull the trigger on the PB2+. Here's the delemia, I'm not sure where my HT is going to be set up quite yet. Either in 10x11 xtra-bedroom that well sealed or a 16x20 family room with lots of leaks to kitchen, hallway, foyer. So not considering the cost, if I end-up going route of the spare bedroom, would it be too much sub, or is there such an animal.;)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Just curious how this sub does in music and HT. Also curious how well the sub will do on ATOC & LOTR
Arnold:

I own nearly all the popular bass buster DVDs, and among those specifically lined up for the review include LOTR-EE (DTS), and SWII-AOTC. My HT system is calibrated to true Reference Level with Avia, and I usually run my sub a few dB hot. I'll include Master Volume settings, time stamps, and SPL peaks, so you'll have a good idea what to expect in your own HT room if you go with the PB2-Plus.

Music selections lined up include orchestral, rap, organ, classic acoustic jazz, and jazz fusion. I'm pretty fussy about bass performance on music.

James:

As long as the sub is properly calibrated, there is really no such thing as "too much sub" for any room. With that said, you could certainly get away with a less powerful sub in the small bedroom, but that near-square room looks like possible trouble for standing wave formation with any sub. Regardless, the benefits of under stressing any subwoofer are well known - lower THD and an effortless quality to the bass.

Regards,

Ed

Arnold_R

Stunt Coordinator
Edward,

Looking forward to your review. I also run my subs a little hot!

Thanks for the info and help.

Arnold

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I'm agonizing whether to pull the trigger on the PB2+. Here's the delemia, I'm not sure where my HT is going to be set up quite yet. Either in 10x11 xtra-bedroom that well sealed or a 16x20 family room with lots of leaks to kitchen, hallway, foyer. So not considering the cost, if I end-up going route of the spare bedroom, would it be too much sub, or is there such an animal.
Uh no, HELL NO! If you turn up the volume a little louder you might be able to knock down a wall or two and the sub should fit it quite nicely.:D

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor

Arnold,

I have also been very interested in the forthcoming Rocket Ref sub. They were initially hoping to have it available in I believe August but that has been pushed back. One of the designers also happens to work for a defense contractor and with the war his time has obviously been required elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised to see it at least 2-3 months late...:frowning: It sounds like it has awesome potential.

I just can't wait that long and I've had a taste of SVS's offerings. I'll be ordering a PB-2+ very shortly and I know I won't be disappointed. I think their subs are very musical and tremendous for HT. This should be the last sub I ever need. Heck, all (or nearly all) the AV123 guys are using SVS's subs while theirs are in R&D.

One thing I actually find more appealing about the SVS is that all they do are subs. They live these things whereas AV123 is really going in a much different direction with all sorts of speakers and electronics (which they are doing very well I might add, I love my Rockets).

Alex

Arnold_R

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Alex for the update! I forgot the about the designer who also worked for a defense contractor. Hmm PB2+ does get more interesting. I was initially planning on getting 2 Rocket Ref Subs, but (2) PB2+ will be about the same price except it won't have the fancy eq curves/programmability. Let me know what you think once you get the PB2+. I also thought about getting another VMPS Larger Sub, but the size and amount of space would not have much WAF! I guess I want it ALL(Output, Extension, Musicality, Inexpensive and not too big!) from a sub!

Arnold

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
but (2) PB2+ will be about the same price except it won't have the fancy eq curves/programmability
Hi Arnold:

Actually, the PB2+ offers some very interesting, if non conventional, tuning options. Adjusting the SS filter control also activates a custom EQ curve for that setting. I'm not sure if the 25 Hz setting has an EQ curve, but I know the 20 Hz and the 16 Hz setting does.

Obviously, plugging a port contributes to a lower state of tune, but so does the EQ. Wouldn't it be interesting to see the FR of a PB2+ with all three ports open and the SS/EQ switch set to 20 Hz? Or with one port plugged and the SS/EQ switch set to 16 Hz?

Admittedly these are non-conventional tuning configurations, but they are nonetheless intriguing. Of course, plugging a port also helps load the enclosure and prevent bottoming when the tune point is lowered, so caution obviously is advised at higher levels. I'll have to ask Tom V about this type of tuning option and see if it would be OK at "sane" playback levels. The owner's manual might have some clues too.

FWIW, I do know it is not advisable with the HSU VTF-3 to set the EQ switch to 18 Hz and leave both ports open, so again this is more of a discussion topic than direct advice. I'll be running (and posting) FR sweeps in all different states of tune just to satisfy my own curiosity.

Regards,

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.