What's new

SVS PB2-Plus Pre-Orders - Who's In? (1 Viewer)

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Ed,

Its sooner that I thought too. It helps that we refinanced our mortgage last month so no payment this month.:D Actually I find the SPL talk interesting, can't say I understand much but its always good to pick more info up.

Now for another divergence, maybe Tom and Ron can start doing some custom jobs like this...http://www.royaldevice.com/custom3.htm

Jerry Price

Auditioning
Well, I've been thinking about replacing my sub for quite a while. It just doesn't do what I want it to, especially in the theater room (12x20x8). After lurking around the forums for about 1.5 to 2 years I've decided on the PB2+. Placed the order this a.m. I'm replacing a REL Strata II so from what I've been reading there should be a night and day difference between the two. I just thought I would add my anxiousness and anticipation to everyone else's.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I'm replacing a REL Strata II so from what I've been reading there should be a night and day difference between the two.
In this corner we have the incumbent at 60 watts RMS, a single 10" driver, one small port, and 37 pounds.

In this corner we have the challenger at 900 watts RMS, twin 12" drivers, three 4" flared ports, and 105 pounds.

Jerry, remind me to look the other way at the bell - this reminds me of a Mike Tyson bout back in the late 80's when he wore black boots with no socks and no one lasted more than 30 seconds into the first round. Call 911 - the REL's going out on a stretcher. :b

Ed

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator
I was planning on getting an SVS 20-39PC+, but now I'm starting to rethink me decision. The upgrade urge is already kicking in and I don't even have it yet! This is driving me crazy! How do you guys tame this urge?

I emailed Tom V. from SVS a couple months ago with the layout and dimensions of my room asking which sub he thought I should get and he said this:
I do think you'd be happy with the standard 20-39PCi, but the last thing you want to do is always be wondering how the extra extension or output of the PC+ would have sounded on all your favorite DVD/CDs..:)
So, I've gone from planning on getting the 20-39PCi ($599), to the 20-39PC+ (additional $226 over the PCi), to thinking about the PB2+ (additional $600 over the PCi and an additional $374 over the PC+). Does the performance increase justify the additional $374? Do you think I would be stupid to pass this up for the PC+?

Since I currently don't even have a subwoofer in my system, it is very hard for me to imagine how much of a punch I'll be in for when I get my SVS. How loud would the PB2+ be in my 3000 cu-ft room? I'm starting to wonder if there are any laws that prevent you from having something this loud in your house. I'm afraid that my neighbors will be reporting me to the police every time I try to watch a movie. I definitely won't be able to watch movies at two in the morning with the volume turned up like I’ve become accustomed to. ;)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Since I currently don't even have a subwoofer in my system, it is very hard for me to imagine how much of a punch I'll be in for when I get my SVS. How loud would the PB2+ be in my 3000 cu-ft room?
Derek:

Your choice of subwoofer really depends on your listening tastes and your goals.

I would estimate in a 3,000 ft3 room (with one large opening) with the sub in an enclosed corner and also within 10-12 feet from the key listening position, you can expect the following performance "near" the safe operating limits of each sub:

20-39PCi: 110 dB peaks
20-39PC+: 115 dB peaks
PB2+: 121 dB peaks in 25 Hz tune
PB2+: 119 dB peaks in 20 Hz tune

This assumes no nulls at the key listening position. A null could set you back several dB from these values. Also, you might be able to eek a bit more out of each sub if you pushed it to the absolute safe limits.

FWIW, I have a 2,000 ft3 room and a 20-39PC+ and I have hit 114-115 dB peaks 10 feet from the sub and I have never bottomed it.

True Reference Level playback in your room with all speaks set to small would require a PB2+ or twin 20-39PC+.

The PB2+ adds almost the equivalent of twin 20-39PC+ cylinders for about $500 less. Quite a performance bargain, I'd say.

Regards,

Ed

Jerry Price

Auditioning
"In this corner we have the incumbent at 60 watts RMS, a single 10" driver, one small port, and 37 pounds.

In this corner we have the challenger at 900 watts RMS, twin 12" drivers, three 4" flared ports, and 105 pounds.

Jerry, remind me to look the other way at the bell - this reminds me of a Mike Tyson bout back in the late 80's when he wore black boots with no socks and no one lasted more than 30 seconds into the first round. Call 911 - the REL's going out on a stretcher."

Ed

Yeah, I almost feel sorry for the little guy--almost! HeHeHe

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I had to order one last week. Now the hardest part is the wait. I am hoping this will allow me to get rid of two NHT subs that I have had for 5 years. The NHT's have served me well but I am needing an upgrade. The bug has hit. Plus with all the good comments around here about the guys at AVS how can you go wrong. For most of us middle class folks trying to get a great HT set up in rooms like a family room I think this is the ticket. I've been wanting an SVS for over a year but thought I would need two and I think the wife (who is very understanding of my HT wants) would not like the looks. Now if my ebony Rockets would get here at the same time I would be in heaven!!!

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Anytime, Derek.

I think the numbers I provided are pretty solid estimates, but please go straight to the designer Tom V for the final word.

Really, the beast needs no taming. Provided you calibrate properly, there is no such thing as too much subwoofer, within reason. The benefits of understressing a sub are well known - less driver excursion equals lower distortion and more accuracy at any given SPL. Heck, another member just ordered two B4-Plus subs in addition to the two Stryke subs he already has!

Many members own dual SVS Plus cylinders and report an effortless quality to the bass with almost unlimited dynamic range in moderate sized HT rooms. I'm sure the PB2-Plus will deliver a similar listening experience.

Regards,

Ed

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Mike,

That double whammy wait must be killing you, especially with the ebony's not hitting our shores until June. Which package did you order?

I'm running Package 2 with an additional pair of 150s. So far I'm loving them. The wait for the sub is absolutely killing me though. The 750s have damn good base but their not an SVS.

Alex

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator
I think the numbers I provided are pretty solid estimates, but please go straight to the designer Tom V for the final word.
How do you think the PB2+ would compare to their single CS-Ultra package? Should I just ask Tom (seems like I'm always asking him questions)?

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Alex: dont remember the package # its been so long since I ordered. Its 750's, bigfoot and the 300's for surrounds. I really am hoping it wont be much longer. Don't know if I can make it past mid June!

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Mike,

That's Package #2. Although the wait REALLY sucks, it will be well worth it, it is an amazing system. I waited many, many years before putting my HT together and with respect to the speakers, I don't think another upgrade will be necessary for at least 15 years. Probably a lot longer than that. You might want to consider the rosewood as you could get them sooner and save some $, just a thought if you're really anxious to get them.

What will you be using to drive your system?

Alex

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
How do you think the PB2+ would compare to their single CS-Ultra package? Should I just ask Tom (seems like I'm always asking him questions)?
I don't mind taking at stab at it as I'm sure SVS is pulling double shifts getting ready for the launch. With that said, the same caveat applies - Tom V has the last word on bench racing.

In the 25 Hz tune, a PB2-Plus should outgun a single Ultra by around 4-5 dB above 25 Hz.

In the 20 Hz tune, the advantage should be around 3-4 dB above 20-22 Hz.

With both in the 16 Hz tune, it would be a pretty close race.

Remember the PB2-Plus has a stock tune of 25 Hz and in that mode can fill large rooms with big SPL numbers and this is the design goal for this sub.

It can of course be tuned to 20 Hz with a small loss of max SPL, and that is the tune config in which I intend to run mine. I have a moderate sized HT room and I think 118-120 will be within reach for me in the 20 Hz tune.

In the 16 Hz tune, it will be somewhat underported and really should only be run in this mode in moderately sized rooms where big SPL isn't the first and primary concern. I think if anyone wanted a 16 Hz sub, the 16-46PC+ is a better first choice, being designed specifically for this purpose.

Regards,

Ed

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I will be running the Rockets with a DSP Yamaha. It has 100 watts per. Will see how it goes as it has been a good workhorse for quite a few years. If I need more power I can use it as a pre/pro and go with something like an Outlaw or some other amp.

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator
FWIW in regards to the Ultra comparison.

To paraphrase from my owners manual 'the anechoic extension response is 18-100 Hz +/- 3 db. Typical in room extension is rated at 2-3Hz lower'. I only point this out as to make people aware that there is probably not a need to plug an Ultra port to get very usable output into the 16 Hz region. I have no idea what the SPL comparison would be. However, with consideration to what is printed in the Ultra owner's manual, I would think that the PB2+ would have to be in the 16 hz mode to match or exceed the in room frequency curve of a stock tuned Ultra from 16 - 100Hz.

On previous post I believe Tom V had mentioned that the Ultra was tuned a tick below 20 Hz. I believe this was also in regard to the original driver. I don't know if there would be a change to the stock tune with the inclusion of the new Ultra driver.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Well, I pre-ordered my PB2-Plus over the weekend. Now I'm in for the wait also.
:emoji_thumbsup: WTG, Derek! Enclosures should be rolling into SVS over the next few weeks, and then the PB2+'s will start shipping out. Unless something unforseen occurs, the end of May is still a decent bet, AFAIK.

Regards,

Ed

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
The enclosures got one final tweak in the bracing arena, which opened up a chance to implement some other upgrades we didn't think we'd have ready for several months. While this means the first units won't probably ship till next week now, it also means they'll be even more accurate and powerful (and more durable) than we originally expected. Can't provide any details, but suffice it to say the PB2-Plus is the best thing we can build at this price point and includes everything we've learned over three years of shipping ultra high performance subs.

Those that have them on pre-order will be very pleased I think. Those that have always thought about twin subwoofers but only have the space and funds for one will have an option that's practically in a class by itself.

Watch for early reports from a few reviewers soon.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.