What's new

SVS first encounter and a question. (1 Viewer)

So tonight was my first experience with SVS, I set up a home theater for a friend and recommended that he get a 20-39 CS+ and Samson 1000 combo. Well he did and tonight I went over to calibrate the whole system with Avia and run some 1/6 octave tests to see if he needs a BFD.

Anyway, after it was all calibrated (sub set to 85dB, not running it hot at all) we played the pod race scene at reference (0 on the volume, which I understand is a bit low for Phantom)… Oh my god, is this for real? Can this sub actually put out that kind of bass? I mean words cannot describe the power this thing has.

This is a fairly large room and even so, it felt like shockwaves were going through the floor. The amp was not going into clipping, the red led just flickered on at the loudest point. I never heard the sub bottom; I don’t even think we were close.

So this is normal? The driver can do that safely?

I guess I’m still in shock.

Ned

Supporting Actor
The driver will make a clacking sound if/when it exceeds its' capabilities. If that ever happens just turn it down quickly and it should be fine.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Matt;

I can tell you from experience that the sub was working exactly the way it was supposed to!

It's great, isn't it?

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Matt,
Just how large is the room? A big part of the performance will depend on the location and calibration of the sub. Since you seem to have that nailed...its not a suprise the SV is working pretty well...even in a larger room.
Have your friend go back through his music collection next :)
TV

Rey_Ramos

Agent
I received the single Ultra/S1000 package. I invited some friends over and we did some listening. Material used:

Diana Krall in Paris

Eagles Hell Freezes Over

Phantom Menace

Jurassic Park 3

Unbreakable

I pretty much jumped to the scenes where bass would be the main material pushed. And man did it push. I live in a basement apartment and have tiled floors. The living room area is 15'x22' with 8 foot ceilings.

Diana Krall/Eagles dvd's showed how each bass note was unique crystal clear. Whether it was a bass guitar or a kick drum you could clearly tell the difference and each note was "real" sounding. Not one notey. Absolutely clean mean bass. TPM, JP3 and Unbreakable were unbelievable. All my guests said that they "felt" the scenes. This is the best bass I have ever heard so far. I think the only thing better would be to get a second one. :b

BTW, my upstairs neighbor came running to my door and asked what happened. Obviously he was about to complain about how loud the movies were so I started apologizing but he made me go upstairs to his apartment. And there in his living room his dinner plate fell off the coffee table and two pictures fell off the wall. He thought for a second it was an earthquake, I told him it was worse, it was SVS!!!!

Rey_Ramos

Agent
;) It was pretty funny. Actually I got kind of embarrassed. I never imagined that sort of stuff was possible. I have read many posts about subs being able to "rip up the floorboards" and ofcourse you just laugh and think this guy is really exaggerating. But when i experienced it for myself it really felt like this guy's floor was going to split open. Very cool effect. Needless to say, I AM DEFINATELY GETTING A SECOND ONE! Can't wait until his ceiling cracks....hehehe

I used to think the whole “pictures falling off the wall” and related things people have been saying were just exaggerations. They aren’t, those SVS can damage your house.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks