What's new

Survivor South Pacific official discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am with you, Patrick. Not really getting into this

season at all.

I think last night's vote goes to show that Coach is

still in control. Kind of sad to see Brandon mouthing

"I love you, man" to the guy that's not opening up to

him about having the Idol.

I would love to see Brandon go as well. Not a big

fan of Ozzie either. Announcing he has the Idol is

not going to make him popular in his tribe.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm still wrestling with the entire 'Redemption Island" concept.

Let's say Christine wins out against all comers and makes it back into the game at the merge (or thereabouts). Who thinks she really has a chance to progress much further? She might be wooed by a group (or a former ally) for a vote...but as soon as that group runs into some trouble it is more than likely that her inability to build relationships during her time away from the game will be the cause of her demise.

It all seems pointless and time-wasting to me. I'd prefer a return to separate reward challenges and immunity challenges.

And the entire HII situation needs to be re-thought, too.

Those early seasons were so excellent in their simplicity. All these additional "improvements" (remember Exile Island?) have really watered-down the impact of (or diluted the interesting focus on) relationship-building in the game.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if they only had RI after the merge, it might make for better viewing, and gameplay in terms of using the time to curry favor with possible jury votes.

Jon_B

Screenwriter
In my opinion there really is no way for someone from redemption island to win.....unless they rotated them out of RI more often. The only time anyone gets to talk with the RI person is when they are competing against them. In a game where developing relationships is key, how are you suppose win when you are stuck on RI? I like the aspect of RI, where your enemy can come back to haunt you and possibly take you out. However, I don't see any other positive aspect to RI.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

Can't say they aren't thinking outside the box (Ozzy's tribe).

True that...but it still seems like too risky a move for Ozzy to make.

He would list all sort of practical reasons for NOT doing it: he might lose, the merge may not happen, etc.

But the only two things in the "pro" column were: to eliminate Christine (Really? She's THAT much of a threat?) and that it would be an "iconic move in the history of Survivor." I think someone's ego was definitely getting the better of him.

One never knows what an upcoming challenge is going to be. The upcoming RI challenge between Ozzy & Christine might not play into Ozzy's strengths at all. There's no such thing as a sure thing. The benefits certainly don't seem to outweigh the risks.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Haven't those form Ozzy's tribe been paying attention at the redemption island challenges? Christine has made it pretty clear how she feels about her old tribe. So the thinking that "We must eliminate Christine" is based on the, I believe faulty, assumption that she'll side with her old tribe. Only hindsight will tell if this was an incredibly brilliant or incredibly foolish move.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I guess Cockroach got what he is really after, a place in survivor lore. To bad its because he is a major douche bag.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
John is such a fan of Survivor you would think he would understand that early flippers like him rarely last since the other group is only using him until the old tribe is gone. He should have realized that his best chance was to ride it out and then once his tribe was the only left try to form a new alliance to pick off those that were left.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Did they out-think themselves when Ozzie gave the HII to Whitney instead of the most obviously strong member, Keith?

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Probably. It's a damned-if-you-do or don't situation. This season has become much more interesting. Ozzy was WAY over the top at desperation island, what's it called?? Had he just kept his mouth shut more than likely they would believed it. Didn't Ozzy's tribe know Christine had no love for that other tribe in the first place?

Jon_B

Screenwriter
ChristopherG said:
I guess Cockroach got what he is really after, a place in survivor lore.  To bad its because he is a major douche bag.
Great quote. I agree. I really did not understand the logic of keeping Whitney. I get that they believed no one on their side was going to flip, but I think they still should have protected Keith.

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Wow....no comments for this week. Am I the only one watching? My only contribution to the thread for this week is that Ozzy is talking whole lotta trash for a guy that has two worthy opponents to beat to stay in the game. I would not be surprised to see Keith or Jim to beat him.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I didn't finish watching till tonight. The scene where Cockroach told little hanz to lay his head on his shoulder caused me to actually gag. I cannot wait until Coach and his tribe start eating their own - that is going to be interesting.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
What made me gag was Ozzy's team's reaction the entire time. This was not the first time a player who felt like an outsider in his own tribe jumped ship. His former teammates violent reactions to him and barrage of insults are, to me, amplifications to the ridicule he was experiencing before the merge. Was it Hanz Jr who said at tribal that Ozzy's team were smug and cocky last week thinking they had End Game Dominance in the bag until the rug got pulled out from under them. Now they're upset and crying because they're being picked off one by one - which is exactly what they would have done to the other team. And probably would have treated Coach's team much like Boston Rob treated the opposing team last season - ignoring them completely because they didn't matter anymore.

I don't get the hate for Cochran. He's socially awkward and probably has a domineering mother (as evidenced by his machete comment earlier in the season) but he's no Johnny Fairplay or, even Smug Ozzy (as opposed to Sad Ozzy, or the current Motivated Ozzy). However I will say that his strutting around camp in Coach's jacket, and even wearing it to Tribal was not cool. He might be safe for a while on Coach's team as they seemed to have welcomed him properly rather than just using him to keep their numbers up.

Looking forward to the Redemption Island battle next week. I hope they send two home and not build another group of opponents like last season.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
The hate is because Cochroach is annoying. I just can't appreciate the fact that he says he's weak and uses that as his crutch to not even try. Yes, we get that he has zero confidence and a bad self image, and we get that he admits this to people to lighten the tension. He's not crippled. If he doesn't like being skinny then he can get on a food program and go to the gym. He doesn't. He'd rather complain about it and sit around saying that he's always been skinny and not good outdoors. He's smart, so he can learn. He's pathetic because he chooses to be that way.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
What I find pathetic about Johnny is that as a student of the game he made a critical mistake turning on his tribe too soon. He is going to be voted out once the other tribe is done using him and he seemed to forget that in the past he already had a mini alliance within his own tribe. He could have used that to oust Ozzy once the others where gone and moved forward from that point. Now he is just a pathetic pawn who is being used by coach's tribe and he is too stupid to realize it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks