What's new

Survivor South Pacific official discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well....so glad to see Cockroach gone.

Let's hope he doesn't reappear as a "special guest" in a
future Survivor season.

In fact, let's hope that we don't see Survivor: Parent's Basement

Felt bad for Edna. Clearly, it's a crime that
Brandon is still in this game. It's going to be

interesting to see if he goes next or it's going

to be the men ousting the only woman left.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
MarkMel said:
It seemed to be scripted as a real nail biter. ;-) They should've gave them a puzzle since Ozzy wouldn't have had a chance. But they scripted it differently didn't they?
I know the conspiracy theory people always think the producers pull these kind of things but I'm certain I read years ago that the show has an independent third party who they tell in advance what the challenges are going to be on a certain day which means the producers actually don't know who is going to be competing on that day and can’t “script it.” Glad to see Johnny gone but I have to give it to him, in his own spastic way he almost pulled it off.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Patrick_S

I know the conspiracy theory people always think the producers pull these kind of things but I'm certain I read years ago that the show has an independent third party who they tell in advance what the challenges are going to be on a certain day which means the producers actually don't know who is going to be competing on that day and can’t “script it.”

This is true. Probst has repeatedly stated that challenges are predetermined at the start of the season. I'm not sure why people invest time in watching a game show which they believe is heavily manipulated.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
It's enjoyable regardless. Probably not scripted but they do manipulate the story, it would be boring otherwise.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
It is amazing that after 20-some seasons, this show can still ratchet up the human drama like no other reality series I've ever seen. The Tribal Council tonight was absolutely riveting.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
***FRONT PAGE SPOILER SPACE***FRONT PAGE SPOILER SPACE***FRONT PAGE SPOILER SPACE***FRONT PAGE SPOILER SPACE***FRONT PAGE SPOILER SPACE***

When Brandon unexpectedly won immunity I noted that he was just enough of a chump that someone could convince him to give up immunity. However that betrayal (since its purpose would be to kick him out) would have been incredibly cruel to someone like him that I doubted anyone would do it. Then he did it himself!! At tribal when he said Coach and Albert were his best friends and Coach gave this pained look. I honestly didn't know if Coach would vote Brandon out or not.

If I were Albert, I wouldn't give back the idol either.

Good Redemption challenge too. Surprised Ozzie got the first puzzle done so quickly. And my kids got a lesson in deceiving advertising as they assumed Edna would beat Ozzie and were Not Happy. And, maybe it's just me, but I don't like the gallery helping the players. Doesn't seem right to me.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's always interesting when people don't quite act in their own self-interest, but reveal their own sense of self-worth through past accounts that show that those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. It was sort of sad, in some respects, but this game does not reward self-recrimination or bad strategic moves based on emotions and "bonds" built up in the past 30+ days.

Jon_B

Screenwriter
My question for you all is: Can Albert and/or Coach win with how they handled Brandon in front of the Jury? Coach voted for Brandon (his best friend), and Albert did not have to(all he had to do was hold on to the immunity necklace). If I was on the Jury I would be leaning towards voting for "innocent" Sophie after that tribal council.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Survivor - Faith Island. Kind of ridiculous using "God's Will" as an excuse to justify voting someone off. My 12 yo daughter turned to me and said "Doesn't God have more important things to worry about than what some reality contestant does?" Not to get into a religious discussion but it does seem to have been eye rollingly over the top this season.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Keeping religious discussion at minimal, I would agree that

this season has been filled with religious undertones which

might be irritating to some.

I am still rooting for Coach. Never thought I would like the

guy as much as I have this season, but he has come off as

an ace player. One could argue that Ozzy, if he gets back

in the game, is most deserving for all the challenges he has

won.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Ozzy being the biggest threat to win. I think maybe it was Coach that said he feeds and comforts every person that gets sent to redemption therefore securing there jury vote.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Never been a Coach fan, so not really rooting for him this season. It's almost criminal to see how he's been manipulating Brandon this season.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
If the challenges keep going his way, this is Ozzie's to lose at final tribal council....

Brandon immediately blurting out "I want to give away my immunity" made me laugh hysterically for some reason - wow is he bringing the crazy!

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Ozzy will find it a lot harder to go up against 3 or four other challengers to make it to F3 than the one on one challenges on RI. He definitely has a shot of pulling it off, but I think the odds are against him.

I didn't think Brandon had a chance in hell of winning immunity and assumed he selected the wrong numbers until the music started swelling at the top of the pyramid or whatnot. Then it hit me -- it was obvious Brandon was going to win immunity since they spent so much time showing how solidly the tribe was going to vote him out. The only reason the editors drove themselves down that one way street was because Brandon's win would create all sorts of drama. Had Coach or anyone else won, the editing would have shown them flopping between two people.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hanson....I should have known.

You are right. When the show is edited so that it looks

apparent that someone is about to be voted out, usually

that means the individual will win immunity in a challenge.

Sometimes, when you look at this show from the angle

of the storytelling editor, you can figure out where it's going.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I was also positive that Ozzy was going to beat Edna on RI because of the obviously false editing in the "next week" promo. When they showed Edna almost completing her puzzle and cutting to a confused looking Ozzy just starting his, it was clearly just done for effect. Also, 9 times out of 10, whatever they show transpiring in the promos is exactly opposite of what actually happens.

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Hanson said:
I was also positive that Ozzy was going to beat Edna on RI because of the obviously false editing in the "next week" promo.  When they showed Edna almost completing her puzzle and cutting to a confused looking Ozzy just starting his, it was clearly just done for effect.  Also, 9 times out of 10, whatever they show transpiring in the promos is exactly opposite of what actually happens.
True it's the exact opposite or...it turns out to be nothing(i.e. it looks like it's going to impact the game in a big way, and nothing becomes of it)

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Yeah, they are a bit obvious with the attempted fakeouts sometimes. Still it makes it kind of fun to speculate. Definitely rooting for Ozzy at this point.

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
Going back to religion, in a non-threatening and non-rule-violating kind of way, I don't recall Coach wearing his cross so blatantly on his sleeve in his previous visits to Survivor. Either he has had a conversion, or the editors clipped out that part of his persona and concentrated on his wild stories and weirdness.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks