What's new

Survivor South Pacific official discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The BS hokey religion crap this year really has me turned off. They are all full of shit hypocrites and I couldn't give a crap about any of them. I hope Ozzy kicks their ass but don't believe he will. Survivor jumped the shark this year and its name is religion.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
I don't think it's "BS" or "hokey" to the people on the show. Maybe some of it is put on for the cameras, but when I look at Brandon I see a very troubled individual who may have a rough path ahead of him. As for Coach, he may not have been as overtly religious in his previous appearances, but there has always been a strong spiritual element to his character, which is part of what has made him entertaining. I have really enjoyed this season and I hope they continue to bring back a couple of veterans in subsequent outings. You'd think after Boston Rob won and both Coach and Ozzy may now go the distance, that returning players might be in trouble early - but I've loved watching them school the rookies, and I bet someone like Amanda or Stephenie or Penner could do it again.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
DaveHof said:
I have really enjoyed this season and I hope they continue to bring back a couple of veterans in subsequent outings. You'd think after Boston Rob won and both Coach and Ozzy may now go the distance, that returning players might be in trouble early - but I've loved watching them school the rookies, and I bet someone like Amanda or Stephenie or Penner could do it again.
I don't like the veteran gimmick simply because it really does give them an unfair advantage in the game and it also stunts the development of new players. I know people have complained that in the last two seasons that there haven't been any new interesting players, well part of that is the new ones have to complete with established celebrities (in the Survivor sense of things) who dominate the environment. Of course I doubt any of the new players really hate the gimmick because in the back of their minds they are thinking that could be me some day.

mike caronia

Second Unit
I think God won the Sprint Player of the Week and the $10,000. Looks like Sophie has this in the bag now, although in a weird sort of way I'd love to see Coach win Survivor.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Hugh Jackes said:
Going back to religion, in a non-threatening and non-rule-violating kind of way, I don't recall Coach wearing his cross so blatantly on his sleeve in his previous visits to Survivor. Either he has had a conversion, or the editors clipped out that part of his persona and concentrated on his wild stories and weirdness.
I've been thinking the same thing.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, might definitely want to pad your DVRs tonight because most likely the Denver/New England NFL game will go over the alloted time, and Denver's been in a lot of overtime games lately.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Not going to stay up late. Will have to catch this tomorrow via Tivo.

Will also have to stay away from HTF subscribed emails and LIVE
WITH KELLY until after I watch the show.

Don't need to know the winner before I watch the show.

Damn football!

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Patrick Sun said:
Just going to say "Ugh!" for how it all went down. Oh well, there's always next season.
I felt that way on 10 of the 22 (is that really how many shows?). Yet...like you I look forward to next season.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
We're not football fans either. Five minutes before 60 Minutes was supposed to start there was 5 mins left on the clock of the game. I told my wife it'd be another 40m before the game finished. She thought I was kidding. 35m later the game finally ended. I'm sorry but I don't understand devoting 3-4 hours every weekend watching a game. Not to mention the 150 baseball games a team plays against the same seven opponents... Ok I'll stop.

I the start of the show I was kind of rooting for Coach, but at some point during the final challenge I found myself rooting for Sophie. Maybe it was how Albert kept following her down each obstacle course - it was almost as if he was trying to slow her down.

When the stress got to her and she lost it during the tribal council I suspected she might have won over a few jury votes.

Ozzy, I thought, came off as an arrogant jerk. During the game he was Mr Confident because he felt he was controlling everything, and the two times when the vote went against him (i mean when his girlfriends got voted off) he was Mr Humble. Then, during his second run at RI, he started to get a little nutty. Like he expected everyone to worship him. I think the star worship his tribe gave him in the first half of the game really went to his head and the solitude of RI just magnified it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It's sad. If you don't have the opportunity to watch the show

live, someone is going to ruin the surprise for you the next day

no matter how much you try to avoid reading anything.

In this case, it was opening my browser to its home page which

happens to be YAHOO NEWS. They plastered the name of the

winner across their home page. Didn't even give time for people

to catch up.

Like the rest of you, I am disappointed with a winner who basically

stood in the shadows of the entire game and didn't deserve to win.

Meanwhile, the person who did deserve to win, as has been just

been said in a prior post, was such an arrogant jerk that few people

really wanted him to win.

The best Jury questioning came from Edna, in my opinion. For it

was her that pointed out that this is the game of survivor and people

were duped by people like Coach and Albert. True, Albert deserves

to be called a "sleaze." He played the friendly, smiling teammate to

everyone's face, but every time he was talking to the camera, he
stabbed his teammates in the back. Coach also duped his teammates

by believing he was playing with "honor."

Ozzie absolutely deserved it based on the fact that he outplayed

everyone. Let's face it -- he won more challenges than anyone else.

His downfall was his arrogance. People just didn't like him. Coach

may have been a huge liar, but at least he made it farther than anyone

would have expected him to. I think he remained the calmest, most

interesting person of the season. I would have preferred he won.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Ozzy's downfall was that he didn't win final immunity. He would have won hands down once he made the finals.

I don't think Sophie was undeserving at all. She won three or four individual immunities including the all important final one. And on the gameplay/strategy front, she did no worse than Albert. Ozzy clearly wanted her out at final four for a good reason, and that reason came to pass. Had they kept Rick instead, Ozzy would have won the million dollars.

The most cringeworthy part of the show was Brandon Hantz, who appears to be IQ challenged for reals. He has the intellect and emotional maturity of a 12 year old.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Hanson

And I know it was spontaneous and live TV and that it was just a joke...but the fact that Probst even had the thought to bring back Russell and Brandon to different tribes on a future season just made me nauseous. Enough already. Put it to bed...forever. Let's move on.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
I see why Brandon is so messed up, if his family didn't come to the live show because they didn't like how he played the game.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Finally got around to watching the reunion show... Brandon's family has done more to dishonor the family than anything Brandon could have said or done out on the island. I thought it was shameful.

Graham Perks

Second Unit
Decent season. I feel bad for Brandon - you expect family to have your back no matter what. Well done Sophie; she played a good solid game, and while not an exiting splashy player, made the right moves (stuck with her alliance and got them to stick with her), and won several immunities - including beating Ozzy (which nobody else had done at RI!). So well done to her. I couldn't tell if Albert was trying to screw her up in that last challenge or not. If anything he should have tried to hinder Ozzy! Well played Coach too; he seems like a natural mentor. I can't see how Survivor can possibly be played and won with 100% honor and integrity - at some point in a group of 5, you have to lie. It always makes me laugh when players can't get past this, and take it very personally. I know it must be quite an internal struggle to forgive, but at the end of the day, I'd rather be magnanimous like Cochran or Edna than bitter like cowboy. I noticed he didn't get a word in in the final show, I wonder if he's still bitter at Coach. I hope not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks