What's new
World Wide Stereo

Surrounds too far back? (1 Viewer)

Todd Henry

Second Unit
Let me start with describing my room's layout. It is a brand new townhome with a large living room. I am going to have the room prewired either for 5.1 or 6.1 depending on the layout.

The usuable space is about 20 feet deep and about 12 feet wide. The TV will be located opposite the front windows along a 9 foot wall. The remaining 3 feet is the walkway to the kitchen. The main listening spot will be ~10 feet back from the front of the TV screen.

I see two speaker layout options:

1. A 6.1 layout with the 3 surround speakers on the front wall of the house. Those speakers will then be about 6-8 feet behind the listening position. Is this bad?

2. A 5.1 layout with the surrounds on the side wall and the second surround on a small 10" section of the wall the makes up the staircase?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Todd

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I don’t see anything wrong with either scenario, although I personally prefer the surround speakers to be behind the listening position as in your first example – especially if they are direct radiating.

Regarding the second example, the only problem might be if the “second” speaker is too low and too close to the seating position. Once again my preference, but I like to have the rear speakers above ear level and several feet away.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks