What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Studio Canal released their own version of John Carpenter's The Fog, as a "Collector's Edition," meaning that it would be "Collectible."

I never picked up a copy as I'm averse to boxed sets, and avoid wherever possible, also premising that a domestic release would be forthcoming.

I'm pleased that I didn't, as reviewers were generally unimpressed.

Recently, Scream Factory delivered their own take on the same data files, and the results are far and away superior to the earlier version.

I've not seen the film in aeons, but have fond memories of early screenings, and the new 4k does a wonderful job of allowing me to re-access the film.

I've come away very pleased. There are still some niggling digital oddities, but nothing of concern, and all presumably going back to the Canal master.

Scream's new version gives the film plenty of real estate for data throughput - 100 GB for a short film plus extras - a lot of them.

Both the 4k disc and the BD share the same basic extras, but with a large additional group also found on the second disc.

There's also something unusual. Scream has released both discs with Dolby Atmos. Most distributors tend to cripple the Blu-rays, and dumb them down to lesser data. For this I commend Scream.

Image quality is generally superb, with only effects shots being occasionally less so. Again, not a problem.

The image has solid grain, which may be too much for some. I'm fine with it, especially at a nominal seating distance.

Color are rich, where they should be, more muted in other areas. Nice blacks. Overall, a quality disc.

I purchased my copy, and it arrived as a steelbook, without damage. It's an attractive package, with reflective underlays, and surrounds the entire unit with a single piece of artwork.

I've been told that steelbooks have far greater value and public acceptance than Bitcoin, so one might hope for investment quality with The Fog.

Image – 4.75 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos & restored monaural)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes
Upgrade from previous 4k - Absolutely

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Recommended

RAH

RickardL

Supporting Actor
And how did the remastered original mono sound?

from Brett Cameron on another forum:
"It sounds a lot different to what people are use to hearing that is for sure. Other than early releases like the Image LD from 1995, just about every home release of this track sounded nothing like the theatrical mix. Even that LD was off in it's levels in a few spots. The biggest difference is the dynamic range, it's been restored for the sound effects, which are normalized on all the disc releases dating back to the DVD. Why? I have no idea why that was done. The dialogue levels have always varied in level, but they were way off on the previous master, that has been corrected. Not as much care was taken with this mix as on Halloween, as some things were laid down very hot which pushed sequences into extreme distortion and was baked into the actual mix. That was a headache to deal with and was cleaned up as best as it could be gotten. In comparison to anything in the past, this new remaster is pretty powerful in it's dynamic range. especially for a mono mix that is over 40 years old. "

Last edited:

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
I've been told that steelbooks have far greater value and public acceptance than Bitcoin, so one might hope for investment quality with The Fog
I'll take the Bitcoin over a steelbook any day. Who wouldn't stack up during this bear market on blockchain and web3 tech? It'll be a matter of time before these forums evolve and become built upon one of the many amazing protocols being developed. I'm very bullish on BTC/Layer1/2/web3 offerings and bearish on steelbooks. It'll only be a matter of time until steelbooks get lost in the fog... ;)

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
And how did the remastered original mono sound?

from Brett Cameron on another forum:
"It sounds a lot different to what people are use to hearing that is for sure. Other than early releases like the Image LD from 1995, just about every home release of this track sounded nothing like the theatrical mix. Even that LD was off in it's levels in a few spots. The biggest difference is the dynamic range, it's been restored for the sound effects, which are normalized on all the disc releases dating back to the DVD. Why? I have no idea why that was done. The dialogue levels have always varied in level, but they were way off on the previous master, that has been corrected. Not as much care was taken with this mix as on Halloween, as some things were laid down very hot which pushed sequences into extreme distortion and was baked into the actual mix. That was a headache to deal with and was cleaned up as best as it could be gotten. In comparison to anything in the past, this new remaster is pretty powerful in it's dynamic range. especially for a mono mix that is over 40 years old. "
There are a few added sound effects in the Atmos track, which may be a deal-breaker for some people. I still preferred it to the mono for the simple reason that the music is in stereo, and it sounds more robust and expansive than the previous matrixed 2.0 and 5.1 remixes. It's nice that the disc essentially has all possible options, though.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Are you sure? Do you have a link about this?
Bill Hunt:
" There’s a greater sense of presence in the Atmos mix, with more ambience as well as a bit of directionality to the sound effects. The previous 5.1 and 2.0 mixes still largely retained the mono nature of the original effects, but they’re more spread around here into all of the channels. Most of that is a matter of processing, but be aware that there have been a few new effects added as well, such as a splashing sound from the feet of the ghosts as they pound on the door of Dan’s weather station. None of the new effects are particularly intrusive, but for those who consider such additions to be heretical, that original theatrical mono track is still available as an option. Even better, the previous 5.1 and 2.0 mixes that don’t include the new effects are also included, so if you like the stereo music but don’t want the added effects, that’s still an option as well. It’s nice to have choices."

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Bill Hunt:
" There’s a greater sense of presence in the Atmos mix, with more ambience as well as a bit of directionality to the sound effects. The previous 5.1 and 2.0 mixes still largely retained the mono nature of the original effects, but they’re more spread around here into all of the channels. Most of that is a matter of processing, but be aware that there have been a few new effects added as well, such as a splashing sound from the feet of the ghosts as they pound on the door of Dan’s weather station. None of the new effects are particularly intrusive, but for those who consider such additions to be heretical, that original theatrical mono track is still available as an option. Even better, the previous 5.1 and 2.0 mixes that don’t include the new effects are also included, so if you like the stereo music but don’t want the added effects, that’s still an option as well. It’s nice to have choices."
That's not Bill Hunt.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Are you sure? Do you have a link about this?
One example, linked in the review above, but here's a more detailed description:

Just before the beginning of Chapter 9, when Dan meets his fate at the weather station, and the ghosts pound on the door, there's a splashing sound out of the right channel that's a sort of an echo of the pounding. It's not present in the original mono mix, nor is it in the 2.0 or 5.1 remixes. It's new to the Atmos track. Now, it's possible that it wasn't a newly-created effect, but rather an extracted and repurposed effect from elsewhere -- possibly the sound that's heard more faintly when Dan looks at the crack under the door and sees shadows moving. Either way, it's still not an effect that was present in any previous mix at that point.

No link, but you can easily find in on the disc.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'll take the Bitcoin over a steelbook any day. Who wouldn't stack up during this bear market on blockchain and web3 tech? It'll be a matter of time before these forums evolve and become built upon one of the many amazing protocols being developed. I'm very bullish on BTC/Layer1/2/web3 offerings and bearish on steelbooks. It'll only be a matter of time until steelbooks get lost in the fog... ;)
Whereupon they will be subject to the dreaded Steelbook Rot! ;)

Kent K H

Supporting Actor

Attachments

• MaloneGoldCross01_lightingadj.png
    MaloneGoldCross01_lightingadj.png
    80.9 KB · Views: 77

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just got done watching my 4K/UHD and I'm completely satisfied with the 4K/Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos presentations. My first of several viewings of this movie was back in a movie theater during its original theatrical run, and it still got some jumps out of me this morning, even though, I knew what was coming.:rolleyes:

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I just got done watching my 4K/UHD and I'm completely satisfied with the 4K/Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos presentations. My first of several viewings of this movie was back in a movie theater during its original theatrical run, and it still got some jumps out of me this morning, even though, I knew what was coming.:rolleyes:
The greater depth to all of the ubiquitous shadows really pays off. It feels even more atmospheric and spookier. It's not exactly like a new experience, but it definitely adds to the experience.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
This looks horrible on my LG OLED thru my Panny UHD player. I’m fine with grain but this is virtually unwatchable. Is this what it looks like to everyone? So disappointed

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 132

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks