What's new

Surround sound question (1 Viewer)

BenLev

Agent
nvm it wasn't working properly. I was getting a little music out of it but there is this continous humming noise coming from it. Does anyone know how to turn that off?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
In a properly designed receiver, the subwoofer pre-out will not contain any high frequency information.

It really sounds as through you might need a new receiver--or at least one that can process dts/dolby digital. How are you reproducing dvds these days? Are you using a player with multichannel outs?

Brent_S

Second Unit
The Kenwood manual linked above doesn't indicate there is a crossover in the receiver. This is a pre-DD model. Playing high frequencies through your sub will not hurt it...it won't sound very good, either. How strong are the highs you're hearing...crossovers are not brick walls, they reduce the signal level on a slope of some sort. If the 206 has a xover, it's most likely at a fairly high frequency and no more than a 2nd order slope, probably only 1st order. Both would let you hear reduced level high frequency information through your sub.

The hum is most likely a 60hz hum induced by the RCA to 1/4" adapter you're using to feed the Behringer. Pro sound and consumer gear don't always play nice. Not sure what to recommend...try a different 1/4" adapter. Switch to an RCA->XLR adapter, maybe. Make sure you're using mono adapters...not sure if a stereo adapter would hurt, but mono is definitely the right way to do it.

The manual indicates you have to tell the 206 that you have a subwoofer and center channel. The most likely candidate for the center and sub not producing any sound.

wbs

BenLev

Agent
I think there is something wrong with the sub preout. I read the entire manual and followed every step. I turned the subwoofer to on and still nothing. Also, now i am hearing an annoying noise through all the speakers. You can't tell when the volume is up, but on low volumes the speakers make this annoying low humming noise that is just always in the background. I am thinking I just need a new reciever.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks