Surround sound question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by BenLev, Mar 3, 2006.

1. BenLev

BenLev Agent

I am trying to hook up my new surround sound system with my sub. The problem is i don't know where to go from here. My tv has 2 left and 2 right speaker outputs. I hooked these 4 outputs to my recievers 4 inputs. My reciever also has a Center speaker, and subwoofer input. The problem is my tv doesn't have a center speaker or subwoofer output!!! What do i do?

Thanks.

2. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

If you have an atsc tv, use an spdif cable. Set it up to transmit a dolby digital signal. If you have an spdif cable, connect L and R pair to a suitable input on your receiver, and set the receiver to decode Dolby Prologic II Movie.

3. BenLev

BenLev Agent

Here is a link to my TV so you can better help me. I am not quite sure what you wanted me to do there. Sorry, I am just a super noob at this.

TV

Let me know if that gives you the info you need to answer my question.

4. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

My usual habit is to try to find a manual, translate it into something a fellow htfer can understand. Alas, I can't find it.

Anyway, it appears to be an hdtv, with a built in tuners for high definition cable and over the air.

At least there's a picture of the back panel.

[​IMG]

The MONITOR/REC OUT are supplied for connecting a VCR. (so you can record off the built in tuners). You should connect the AUDIO OUTPUT to your receiver, as well as the optical out. The optical output should be configured to output Dolly Digital/Bitstream/AC-3. I'm not sure how you might do this-- though it's probably buried in an on screen setup menu.

(Why connect both analog and digital? Some TV channels may not have digital sound. My TV digitizes the analog television sound into 32 KHz PCM, but practices vary.)

The CENTER CHANNEL input allows you to connect a PRE-OUT from you receiver, if you really want to use the built in speakers as a center channel. Probably not recommended.

5. BenLev

BenLev Agent

6. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

You don't appear to have a optical input on your receiver. Does it not have a dolby digital decoder?
    If that's the case, just connect up the L+R Audio outputs on the TV to a suitable input on your receiver, and use Prologic mode to get any surround.

7. BenLev

BenLev Agent

It is old. It has dolby 3 logic and dolby 3 stereo it says.

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Ben,
    Those are outputs, not inputs.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

9. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Yet another misunderstanding, this one from your thread at the car audio forum:
    In order to utilize the receiver’s 6-channel input, you have to have a source with a 6-channel output. The TV doesn’t have a 6-channel output.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

10. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

I'm almost hesitant to suggest this, because the hdmi spec isn't stable, but you might look into getting a receiver that supports dolby digital....

11. BenLev

BenLev Agent

Alright guys thanks for the help. I hooked them up to my video1 input on the reciever and 4 of the speakers are working great.

These are my 2 problems as of now.

I have a behringer amp powering a sub. For some reason when i plug the mono RCA cable from the subwoofer out to the input on my sub amp, it just plays one continous tone. Not sure what is happening. Also, is it possible to tell if my reciever has a xover that will filter out all the highs? When I hook my sub up to my computer using different cables it plays all the highs and I am worrying that will damage the sub.

Also, for some reason the center speaker isn't playing in my surround sound system. If you have any ideas to what is happening let me know.

Thanks, things are starting to sound great.

12. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

what is the model number of your kenwood receiver?

13. BenLev

BenLev Agent

VR-206. Also, I lost the instructions. I am sure they would be of great help. It is very old though and I have no idea where they could be if I even have them.

14. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

15. BenLev

BenLev Agent

I did exactly what the manual said to do. All i got was 1 tone around 50hz that is played. For some reason i am not getting anything from the sub out. I am so confused to what it could be.

16. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

could be a ground loop.

17. BenLev

BenLev Agent

got any idea how to fix that? I know I can't be hooking it up wrong. It works fine when hooked up to my computer using mostly the same cables. Also, I followed to instructins perfectly on how to set it up.

18. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Are the subwoofer and receiver on different electrical circuits? They shouldn't be...

Also, check that all of your speakers are enabled (page 13).

19. BenLev

BenLev Agent

My subwoofer amp is plugged into the same power strip as the reciever.

Also, I tried turing on the different speakers labeled A and B and still nothing. I am thinking there is something wrong with the reciever and I am just out of luck.[​IMG]

20. BenLev

BenLev Agent

It is something with the speaker options. let me play with them. Right now I have bass coming from reciever with no speakers!!!HAHA. But I am getting closer. I have a question though. It sounds like my reciever is sending highs to the bass also. Will that damage the sub?