What's new

Surface ongoing thread (2 Viewers)

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
I would like to know how Myles got away with out getting killed. Now I should point out that I like Myles but he was really out numbered in that scene.

What is the deal with the man on the bottom of the ocean?

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
In a tin-can submersible of that sort (even the ones made of junk), the occupants are not subject to the pressure of the ocean. So any concern about nitrogen bubbles or broken eardrums during ascent at any speed is misplaced.

Even so, significant suspension of disbelief is required since that tin can attained such depth without imploding.

Definitely not the same thing.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I'm a certified diver so I knew that they would not have bends issues or ear problems. My question was the speed of the ascent itself, it just seemed too quick. However, if the life raft was filled at depth with compressed air, as they ascended the air would continue to expand until it would most likely burst. They would pick up speed as it expanded and it would be able to lift more, I think.

Anyone reminded of the scene with Gus Grisholm when his capsule sank in, damn I can't remember the name of the movie, when all the water was rushing in.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They seem to have used the same clock as on "Supernatural" last week when 6 hours passed like 5 minutes. :)

Did they show any of what happened to Jackson and the boat? I missed the first 20 minutes of the show.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Reminded me more of The Abyss but I can see the connection.

And I agree that Lake Bell was overdressed in this episode. :D

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian

Ah, I see your point, and I agree with you. The ascent was too fast to be believed, at least to me.

If the raft was inflated with an air canister intended for that purpose, then it would have had the proper amount of air to inflate the raft at sea level, and the raft would not have burst on the way up. (I don't know if this was the case.) However, if this were the case, it would not have appeared to be fully inflated -- or even marginally inflated -- at depth. Oh, well. I'll have to watch it again to see how inflated the raft was at depth. If it's fully inflated, then I'll be disappointed. (At least as disappointed as I can get from a TV show, which means I'll feel bad for about four minutes. :))

I remember a Junkyard Wars episode where the teams had to build diving bells (not that a diving bell is the same as a sealed tin can). One team checked for leaks by submerging the bell with air trapped inside and checking for water leaking into the bell through cracks above the interior water line. I just shook my head in disbelief that they couldn't figure out that, had there been any leaks, they would have had air leaking out, not water leaking in.

So it's not surprising that the show's depiction would pass even more than casual viewer scrutiny.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think Phil was sacrificed so that Miles would live. We did not see Phil again after they cut to commercials when Miles was surrounded by Nimrod's brood.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I assumed that they didn't show us the 'entire' assent. It would have taken a few minutes at least, or they might have flown into the air for a few seconds.

Nim DID make it back home, though.

Glenn

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
How long were they actually under water? I seem to recall them saying there was only ninety minutes of air, but Miles's end of the story seemed to take much longer than an hour and a half.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor

I never even thought about Phil. He does seem willing to do just about anything Myles tells him to so this does not seem unlikely.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
11/28/05

OMG! They shot Nimmie!!!! I'm hoping he'll somehow be able to regenerate himself.

Can't believe no more Surface until January.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor

Monday night isn't going to be the same for me. This is the only show that I watch on Monday and I am going to really miss it.

Patrick, I was shocked as well. I really didn't see that coming but I like how it affected Myles.

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
What is it about this show? The writing is dreadful, the acting is awful (all three leads, 4 if you count the bad guy), the science is unbelievable (the submersible made from a rusty old boiler, with portholes from a derelict boat, surviving a depth greater than 20 or 30 feet (5000+ feet?!) and then being surfaced by the bouyancy of a life raft was just about the stupidest series of mistakes I have ever seen in science fiction). Unless she strips down to her bra and panties, the woman is not that great looking and is annoying beyond belief; she must be the stupidest, shiniest marine biologist ever (George Costanze always wanted to pretend to be a better MB than her character is). I am unable to suspend disbelief.

Why do I watch it? Maybe it is the MST3K effect; my wife and I sure enjoy cutting it to shreds (and it is so easy!).

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Now that was a good episode. I did want to mention the "Nim-lets' all over the hospital floor, but I'll skip that. :) Bets that he'll scream when that knife touches him?

Patrick, I have a 3rd option. It was just good timing that Miles got fixed at the same time? 4th option - Nimrod's soul is now in Miles? OMG!

I do leave my brain at the door when I watch this. If it doesn't qualify as Sci-Fi, then I just make it a fantasy. Why put your brain into high gear trying to figure out how this or that was done? The show is funny, and even though it might be fairly predictable, the plot twists do make it better than average.

December only has 4 Mondays. I'm counting down!

Glenn

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Was the rescue operation launched (perhaps by someone working for Lee who couldn't abide leaving them on the ocean floor), or was it luck that brought the helicopter?

Sad to see Nim get shot

Myles DOES have "lizard ESP"!

I'm happy to check my brain to sufficiently enjoy the show. (And I always tip the brain-check girl.) To be honest, the government conspiracy crap bothers me more than the science gaffes. Their reason for a cover-up had better be good, though, or I'll start keeping my brain while watching. Compared to Threshold, I consider this show scientifically brilliant. ;)

Who was the guy that Lee was so subservient to?

Even if we've seen the last of Nim
I'm sure Myles will continue to play a significant role in developing humankind's relationship wth this creature. I wouldn't be surprised if Myles' intervention eventually results in the new species refraining from thinking of us as a main course, and instead thinking of us as, say, an appetizer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks