What's new

Surface ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Not quite sure who Lake Bell knows in the biz, but after getting her walking papers from Boston Legal, she landed a new gig on a show that was originally titled "Fathom", but is now known as "Surface" and starts up tonight on Mondays at 8 p.m. EDT on NBC.

Amazingly enough, the pilot showed a little more promise than "Threshold" did, but it will deal with a new form of aquatic life found on earth, and how it will impact the rest of humanity (perhaps I'm reaching) with a mystery angle and the hunt for this new creature found in the sea and on land.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's also being repeated during the week on Sci-Fi, doing the NBC-Universal synergy thing. I probably won't watch it until after the Sci-Fi re-airing Tuesday night, so I can use the Replay for other things.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I missed it. Can someone give me a little more detailed synopsis? So it's not about Aliens?
I also never liked Lake Bell.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Todd - It is premiering tonight (Monday).

I am looking forward to it.

I am a bit worried about all the "Lost" clones saturating the airwaves. There is now a flood of shows that are capitalizing on the success of Lost.

Sort of like all the flavors of Law and Order and CSI. There are now loads of Sci-Fi. DOn't get me wrong, I like Sci-Fi. I just don't want to watch it every day.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I wasn't disappointed with it, cause I was expecting crap but I wasn't pleasantly surprised either. It sure took TPTB long enough to get the ball rolling and even after the first episode we don't really know a whole lot of what is going on.

I was planning to tune in to episode 2 because I was intrigued by the concept, but the "In the coming weeks..." promo killed that idea. The righteous civilians vs. know-it-all government cliché is so boring. Dr. Serko (sp?) could have brought 'D' (Lake Bell) aboard and spilled to the audience a bit of what's going on, but that would be too easy and I have the feeling they'd run out of story real fast.

Bottom line: I need another tight-lipped mystery show ala Lost like I need another... well you can figure out the rest. :D

P.S. Did anyone else think of the old exploding whale carcass video when the reporter came on TV? I'm glad I saved that file... no matter how many times I see it, it's still funny! :laugh:

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
According to The Futon Critic the first two episodes will be rebroadcast on October 8. Of course, there is a regular airing of the third by then, so if you want to catch up you'll need to tape that beforehand.

Neil

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Finally caught the repeat of this on Sci-Fi (which is showing it a couple times this weekend).

I really liked this show, at least I like it the best of all the sci-fi type of shows that have premiered this fall. "Threshold" and "Invasion" both bored me, but I liked "Surface."

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Anyone watching the second week?

That final scene was a doozy! :eek:

I don't quite get what happened to the guy in the hospital. Is the deal that he's just all healed already?

I want a Nimrod. :D He's cute!

Rudi

Stunt Coordinator
I think the spatter when the creatures skin exploded entered his bloodstream. The instant healing might be the first symptom of nimroditis.

So far I like this one better than Invasion and Threshold.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Rudi, you wrote:

So far I like this one better than Invasion and Threshold.

I absolutely agree. :emoji_thumbsup: This is a highly-underrated show and it deserves a better time slot than being opposite Monday Night Football.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I like this one better than threshold and invasion. At least the "baddies" are very visible in this one and you know who is a bad guy. I doubt the gov can keep things this big a secret for long.

Why is it the kids are tyring to keep thier new friend a secret? It doesnt make sence. You would think they would want to show the world. That isn't very good writing.

One thing that bothers me is the way they portray the gov. in these shows. Why is it always the big bad gov trying to cover things up? I really think that in this case (a new species?) there is no reason for the government to cover it up.

I guess since 99% of the folks in the industry are liberal, it makes sense that they treat the government as the bad guy.

Rudi

Stunt Coordinator
Another problem with the US gov being the bad guy are the international incidents. Are other govs keeping the lid on? Or is there a supra-national organization that has been expecting this outbreak? Are they trying to protect the GP from panic or harness them as a weapon?

It could use a better time but luckily for me football don't do it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Doesn't MNF start at 9pm? Surface is on at 8.

I believe NBC is replaying the first two episodes this Saturday.

One of my few issues with the show is the seemingly large range in size of the creatures, from Nimrod to what we saw at the end of the second episode.

If they're all the same creature, it would seem the young would start off much larger given the size of the adults.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
The size of the creatures confuses me as well. I can deal with them being large but the size of the one in the second episode was a little hard for me to swallow. I do like the show and plan to continue watching it.

Rudi

Stunt Coordinator
On the size issue, aren't there fish that grow in a direct relation to the size of their environment

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

? Makes perfect sense to me. They want to keep it themselves and they know their parents probably won't let them- hence the secrecy. Pretty normal behavior for kids.

MarcS

Stunt Coordinator
Well, some of your comments may have swung me over to watching the first two episodes when they air again, caught part of it last night--couldn't really buy into it, but then, I'll admit, I didn't catch the premiere.

I want to watch it if for nothing more than it's being filmed in "my back yard"... Wilmington, NC.......(because sometimes it is cool to say, hey, I know where that is... :))

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks