What's new

Sunfire Theater Grand II (1 Viewer)

Robert Standefer

Stunt Coordinator
I have been searching everywhere, but I can't find the answer to this question:
Does the Sunfire Theater Grand II have analog bypass? I'm considering this pre/pro, but I'd like the flexibility of using an external DAC. I'm thinking of getting either a Theta Miles, a Rega Planet 2000, or a Mark Levinson No.37 and I'd like the option of using a DAC outside of the Theater Grand II.
Thanks for your help!
Rob

Dzung Pham

Second Unit
Yes it does, but you need to connect through a DB25 connector and the proper cable is somewhat harder to find.

Robert Standefer

Stunt Coordinator
Can you give me some more details? I was looking at the rear of the unit at sunfire.com and the only DB25 connector I see is for a 6 channel input.
theatergrand2_back_large.jpg

Rob
[Edited last by Robert Standefer on July 13, 2001 at 10:32 PM]

Scott_Sylke

Stunt Coordinator
Yes......that is the input he is talking about and it is the only input that bypasses the Theater Grand II's DAC. It is intended for use with DVD-A or SACD from my understanding. If you want to bypass the DAC with CDs and such......you may be out of luck with the Theater Grand II. On the positive side.....the Theater Grand II has a very good DAC.
------------------
Scott
a.k.a. KCWolfPck
See my Home Theater Page .

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
Just curious why you're thinking Sunfire. There are more up to date prepros out there.
Steve
------------------
Link Removed

Robert Standefer

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't consider the Theater Grand II as out of date, especially since it's newer than my Sony TA-E9000ES. The reason I'm considering it is because of its very reasonable price. For $2400 I can get a pre/pro with XLR balanced outputs and component video switching. I haven't found another pre/pro with those features in that price range.
Rob

Scott_Sylke

Stunt Coordinator
In addition, Sunfire is known for their upgrade policy. In fact, I just talked to a Sunfire rep the other day asking about software upgrades to the Theater Grand II. He told me that there is a Theater Grand III coming out in Feb next year that will be totally up to date (THX-EX, DTS-ES, DPL II). Theater Grand II owners can send in their current unit plus $1000 and get a brand new Theater Grand III. I don't know of any other companies that do that??? Especially when the MSRP of the unit is around $3,500.00.
------------------
Scott
a.k.a. KCWolfPck
See my Home Theater Page .
[Edited last by Scott_Sylke on July 14, 2001 at 06:44 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks