What's new

Suggestions for home made screen frame (1 Viewer)

JohnFay

Auditioning
First, thanks to all of you guys for your help, intuition, insight, savy and many many threads. I've been a long time lurker, and here's my first post.

I've bought probably the lowest cost, best resulting (and believe me, I've searched) projection screen, Dazian by the way, and now have to make the frame over which I'll be stretching/laying the material.

I've searched over these threads for months (I started my project in September and am coming to the finish line), and haven't seen a solution.

Again tied to the frame, how about the mounting options against the wall..

Looking for any and all suggestions.

John

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
John if this is to be mounted to a wall you have an advantage that the torsion component of the screen flex won't be much of a factor...neither will weight. I made my screen from 2*2's with a center 1*2 to stop the top and bottom from bending too much. I added corner braces as well to keep it square.

JohnFay

Auditioning
thanks for the suggestions Andrew...

So let me get this right. Your outer frame is 2 X 2's, center line (vertical) with a 1 X 2, and corners are also 1 X 2's on the 45 degree, or just L brackets? or both.

Thanks again!

John

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Yes the outer frame is 2*2 with a single vertical 1*2 up the middle. The corners are 1*2 at a 45 degree angle. On mine since its mounted to the ceiling and swings down in front of my Wega I also then screwed on a 2*6 header and footer to the 2*2 frame to give me some extra stiffness and in future as a place to store the mattes. A 45 * 80 screen should have 5.5" mattes which is perfect as they're the same size as 2*6's.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I did something similar: used 2x3 with a miter saw to create the main frame. I stretched the fabric over this frave and secured it in the back (started with pushpins because i could remove them and go around stretching it tighter- finally securing it with staples).

Then I took 2x2 and made an outerframe, covered in black fabric. This was a perfect size, exactly equal to the outer border of the main 2x3 frame. I slipped it over the frame and secured it with screws from the side. This now gave me a nice clean frame border, and gave me an easy way to secure it to the wall.

Under the cloth of the outer frame I had also used a spade bit and dug out 1/2 inch holdes where I glues magnets- allowing me to attach mattes without any visable mechanism.

-Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks