What's new

A few words about...™ From Here to Eternity - Columbia Classics Volume 3 -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I don't often gush about new restorations making their way to the environs of home theater, but I've just spent an hour sampling Columbia's new 4k of Fred Zinnemann's From Here to Eternity, and I've come away thrilled by what I'm seeing and hearing.

The imagery is needle sharp, with a full, rich palette of silver grain. Black levels, presumably helped along a bit by HDR are rich and steady, while the gray scale remains intact.

Whether or not the film ever actually ran in 3-track stereo (with dubbers) remains in doubt, but I'm told that studio files show no indication of it being recorded. There's always a chance even though images of the Capital marquis note "Giant screen" and stereo, and the NY Times reviews makes note of stereo and widescreen.

If this film was ever projected in widescreen it would have been a travesty, as the film is obviously 1.37 from first frame to last. It would have been destroyed by 1.85.

The new stereo 5.1 mix is a magnificent affair, obviously created with a delicate and steady hand and a knowledge of film audio and its history.

The work performed on FHtE is simply brilliant in every way, and kudos must go to Mr. Crisp and his team, who have taken one of the greatest film ever made, and kicked added to that greatness.

For those who desire the original monaural version, it's still there, but the new stereo is beyond my expectations in it's spacial design and delicacy.

I recently suggested that Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde would be one of the finest restoration of the year. From Here is right up there wit hit.

This is a must own, and a reason alone to pick up the new 6 film set.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Absolutely

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Oh, well, I'm not going to buy a box-set for just one movie, but if, as RAH is suggesting, that some magic has been done, I'll buy this incarnation if it ever comes out as single disc. It is a great movie but until RAH's review, I'd always assumed the original camera negative didn't hold 4K's worth of data. I've never had any problem with the Blu-ray disc, so I can wait.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Oh, well, I'm not going to buy a box-set for just one movie, but if, as RAH is suggesting, that some magic has been done, I'll buy this incarnation if it ever comes out as single disc. It is a great movie but until RAH's review, I'd always assumed the original camera negative didn't hold 4K's worth of data. I've never had any problem with the Blu-ray disc, so I can wait.
The original camera negative for most reels is gone, but the master quality is far above the norm.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Yeah but the bonus disc is the complete TV mini-series on blu-ray

1667191670685.png
:D!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Watched the first hour or so of the miniseries, which I missed back in 1979. I like it so far. The biggest star in it, perhaps,
is Natalie Wood. Picture quality seems very good. Restored from 35mm, it looks better than it looked on tv back in the day for sure. Below are the credits for the edited down "movie version." The miniseries is about 5 hours long.

bonus disc.jpeg

27139_fromheretoeternity-vidmark3%20%28VHSCollector.com%29.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Robin, that was also my exact reaction, in deciding to wait for Columbia to offer a FHtE 4k UHD BD as an individual release, rather than allowing my great admiration for the film to goad me into paying for a couple movies that I don't even like!

But kudos to RAH for keeping us fans of "From Here to Eternity" well informed about how excellent that the quality of its 4k UHD (& slight HDR) Blu-ray disc, actually is.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Robin, that was also my exact reaction, in deciding to wait for Columbia to offer a FHtE 4k UHD BD as an individual release, rather than allowing my great admiration for the film to goad me into paying for a couple movies that I don't even like!

But kudos to RAH for keeping us fans of "From Here to Eternity" well informed about how excellent that the quality of its 4k UHD (& slight HDR) Blu-ray disc, actually is.
I bought that Volume 3 set for just one film- As Good As It Gets. I also love The Last Picture Show, which I have the Criterion BluRay of. Will get around to watching this one at some point- so many films, so little time…

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks