What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - 1883 -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Very good episode. The last shot of the train and the natives was quite something. I don't want to spoil anything. It truly moved me and I agree about the credits. Seems like that happens with quite a few shows I've noticed.

I think the issue is that they want to give us less time to exit out. They want to get you to watch something else on their platform ASAP. If they weren't required to show the end titles, I doubt we'd ever see them (same with broadcast and cable channels).

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
I think the issue is that they want to give us less time to exit out. They want to get you to watch something else on their platform ASAP. If they weren't required to show the end titles, I doubt we'd ever see them (same with broadcast and cable channels).
You hit the nail on the head. I've noticed with streaming platforms ( even paramount regarding this show), I had to go into my settings to stop it from auto playing after 5 seconds.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Completed viewing 10 episodes.

My takeaways.

The series is less about the travails of a wagon train, and more about an 18 year-old girl proving that she can be the best cowboy of the bunch.

The message.

How horribly the white man erred at every turn and every decision during the settling of the west and the destruction of Native American culture and people.

The leads are all superb, but it’s expected.

Stand outs.

One of the youngest and oldest cast members.

Miss May is a face to watch.

Graham Greene gives us a cameo to remember.

One of the best pieces of quality entertainment I’ve seen in years, and the Blu-ray set from Paramount proves that not everything must be 4k.

Final thought.

Absolutely magnificent cinematography with stunning shadow detail, that imho would have been destroyed with HDR. Thank the merciful bloodstained gods that it isn‘t 4k.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Completed viewing 10 episodes.

My takeaways.

The series is less about the travails of a wagon train, and more about an 18 year-old girl proving that she can be the best cowboy of the bunch.

The message.

How horribly the white man erred at every turn and every decision during the settling of the west and the destruction of Native American culture and people.

The leads are all superb, but it’s expected.

Stand outs.

One of the youngest and oldest cast members.

Miss May is a face to watch.

Graham Greene gives us a cameo to remember.

One of the best pieces of quality entertainment I’ve seen in years, and the Blu-ray set from Paramount proves that not everything must be 4k.

Final thought.

Absolutely magnificent cinematography with stunning shadow detail, that imho would have been destroyed with HDR. Thank the merciful bloodstained gods that it isn‘t 4k.
Mr Harris was this series shot on film? I've looked up interviews and articles but couldn't come across anything

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I suppose you’re saying that if they’d called it “1873” you would have been fine with it
or earlier, it would have made more historical sense, for me. Still...just suspend that historic sensibility and just enjoy the series, it's much better :)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
or earlier, it would have made more historical sense, for me. Still...just suspend that historic sensibility and just enjoy the series, it's much better :)
I read an essay regarding The Searchers once where the author said the film had been ruined for him because the artifacts in it did not belong to the correct tribe.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I read an essay regarding The Searchers once where the author said the film had been ruined for him because the artifacts in it did not belong to the correct tribe.

I've heard one person is taken out of High Noon because the future Princess of Monaco has a Zipper in her dress ;)!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've heard one person is taken out of High Noon because the future Princess of Monaco has a Zipper in her dress ;)!
Zippers and hairstyles can be scene killers. Zippers, in early forms, arrived around 1893, but didn’t become popular for clothing until c, 1923.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Zippers and hairstyles can be scene killers. Zippers, in early forms, arrived around 1893, but didn’t become popular for clothing until c, 1923.
So, in keeping with histoic correctness, I guess all the TV westrns, with thier 50s hairstyles should be scrubed, right? 😉

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Well I will say this the vest that Elsa wears towards the latter half of the show is not authentic to the Era, but hey its fiction we can't always get it right lol.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
For color features how do you feel about blue eyelids and plucked eyebrows on females? Not to mention in any film after a night of passion (you know after the train goes into the tunnel) the female wake up in bed with hair make-up and clothing perfectly coiffed ;)?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For color features how do you feel about blue eyelids and plucked eyebrows on females? Not to mention in any film after a night of passion (you know after the train goes into the tunnel) the female wake up in bed with hair make-up and clothing perfectly coiffed ;)?
As Sir Alfred said, “It’s only a movie…”

Doug2000

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
I really enjoyed 1883. Unlike most westerns where the characters are cardboard and it seems they are all a little stupid and simple - in this show the characters have real depth and intelligence. The set & costume design are very well done as is the cinematography.

The story is very emotional.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks