What's new

My New "AT" Screen (1 Viewer)

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
I know not everybody can, BUT if you can put the speakers behind a screen you're much better off with a mini-perf screen. Harkness makes a great screen and priced FAR below screens sold for home theatre applications. Upside is you don't have to worry about the sound getting compromised by other non-perf screens. Price wise my Harkness which is 12 feet wide and 5 feet tall cost me something over $500. It's a matte white with 1.6 gain. You just have to fabricate a frame to hang it;

IMG_1934.JPG

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
On my list of possible to-dos is explore woven vs mini-perf for 4k. I've got a woven screen currently. In reading, I find advocates for both. :)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The AT screen arrived earlier today. I only ordered it late Tuesday evening but living within 8 miles of an Amazon Fulfillment Center has it's advantages. :)

I spent a good portion of my day working on it and now have it in place. Being retired also has it's advantages as this would have otherwise likely taken a week or so before I would have even gotten to it.

Here are the same sweeps as before with this screen in place. The improvements are easily evident based on the sweeps and my ears can confirm as well. It's weird how things seemed fine with the old screen. I mean it really did sound pretty decent but now with this screen in place I can definitely hear extreme improvement in the upper ranges.

Ignore the SPL levels as I failed to volume match with this set of sweeps. The patterns tell the story nonetheless.

8K_20Khz AT Screen.png
200_8Khz AT Screen.png

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
When you project a 2:35:1 picture do you have black bars at the top and bottom of the screen?
Yep, I hate that. My Epson 6050 has an Anamorphic mode but I'm not spending the money on a lens so I guess I'd better learn to hate it less. :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Get a little black felt and a couple wooden dowels and you do some homemade moveable masking on the cheap and easy. :)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Get a little black felt and a couple wooden dowels and you do some homemade moveable masking on the cheap and easy. :)
Nah, I considered this before settling on a 16x9 screen and decided I was willing to accept the tradeoffs. The majority of the content I view is 16x9.

Last edited:

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
For what it's worth, John, I have the exact 120" Silver Ticket acoustically transparent screen Dave linked, and it was fantastic for my use. Based on sweeps in REW and Arc Genesis, the screen had no impact on my speakers.

I'm picking up one of the new JVC projectors this year, so I'll probably be moving on to a bigger and "better" screen, but, honestly, I think the Silver Ticket screen punches well above its cost class. For my money, you either get a best-in-class screen like something from Stewart, or just go with Silver Ticket. Nothing in between is worth it.

Really enjoying the process pics. I'm sure you'll enjoy the new screen!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks