What's new

Suggested height for stage and riser? (1 Viewer)

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
It's amazing how many issues come up when building a home theater room!

My question today is what would be a good height for a stage and a riser. Obviously, the riser should be high enough to allow for good viewing over the heads of the folks in the front row, but not so high as to create a hazard. Also, the height should correspond to the commonly available lumber sizes. (Am I answering my own question??)

In my case, I've got a very low ceiling to consider (7'2"), so I don't think I would want to go with a two step riser.

Thanks!

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Hi Jack. My ht also has a 7'2" ceiling,so I built my riser at 8". It seems to work fine. I have a 106" screen placed about 2" down from the ceiling and veiwing is no problem. By the way, what size screen do you plan on using?

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
Not sure yet. The room is about 13 feet wide by 20 feet long. I originally thought about using a 100" across screen, but now I think that's too big for the depth of my room. I think I'll wait until I have a projector in place to experiment and build a DIY screen.

Thanks Gary.

Lyle_E

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Jack,
My riser is also 8" high, yes it coresponds to commonly available lumber sizes, Ceiling Height is 7'5" Still gives me plenty of clearence for taller individuals (over 6 foot)
Its not as deep, due to room length. Riser dimensions - 4' x 10'6" x 8" high
I have not had any complaints yet from the back row :D
The bottom of the screen is 29" from the floor (43" rptv) so its a little low... but If i was to rebuild it I would have went with a 10" rise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks