What's new

Help with new HT (1 Viewer)

SamCK

Agent
I built this room about a year ago, and am just now starting to finish the home theatre. Any suggestions appreciated. The room is about 25 feet long (screen at front) by 11 feet wide, and 8 foot ceilings. The contractor wired satellite feed to front of room (near floor), electrical outlet for projector in mid ceiling about 17 feet back - but only wired a single coaxial cable!, sub woofer output at right rear of room, surround sound speakers right and left about 17 feet back in ceiling. The entrance in in the back on one side, as you enter, there is about 9 feet of back wall to your right. I am thinking of putting a 9X5 riser here for two seats, and put another three seats in front.

I'm having it wired this week. I plan on S-video, Component feed, and computer monitor feed from front of room to projector. I have a Infocus X1 and Draper Luma Screen (120 diagonal (69X92).

My questions.

1.Should I wire anything else to projector. I plan on running it through ceiling joists to side of room, down to floor, and then removing the baseboard and cuttinga hole in the drywall to fit the cable and reattaching the baseboard) to complete the run to teh front of the room.

2. Is a right rear location the best for teh subwoofer?

3. Is this equipment OK. I know the projector is cheap, but I've read good reviews and plan on upgrading.

4. Where should I mount projector - distance from front and height from ceiling. Can this project a decent 120 diagonal image? The manufacturer suggests 16-18 feet for a screen this size.

5. Where should I mount the screen - height from ceiling and floor. I plan on building a cabinet underneath for my equipment.

6. Is my seating arrangement OK. Any suggestions on riser height? I'm concerned aboiut vieing height and screen height.

Any, and all, suggestions welcome. I haven't started the final stage... so rip it apart if you like!

ChadLB

Screenwriter
1)maybe wire it for 7.1 and be able to place subwoofer whereever you want

2) sub location is a choice....but you usually want to try it in different locations until it meets your needs

3)X1 is a great intro to FP's

4)I wouldn't go that big but that is a preference. The smaller the less distorted of an image. I would recommend a 106" diag.

5) I have a 7ft ceiling and mine is tight to the ceiling so yours would probably be about 6 inches below.

6) Riser height is a preference. I still have to do mine and have not decided...

SamCK

Agent
Since I have the big screen - can I use it, with a smaller image, without it looking funny?? Should I keep the subwoofer wiring plug in the back right. Currently there is a speaker wire from the front (under the screen) to the back right). Thanks.

SamCK

Agent
Sorry, just measured the room. Length is 17 feet front to back, and width is 12 feet. The maximum distance from the front I could mount the projector would be 16 feet. Thanks.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Sub placement is not hard and fast. One position may sound good in one room and totally off in another.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks