Emergency Seating Question!!!!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Don.l, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Don.l

Don.l Stunt Coordinator

OK. So, I have now started to really work on seating ideas. I am just asking for some advice. I have a room that is basically 10X22 and will have a screen with a 100" diagonal viewing area which is 16:9 ration. Will be using a projector. Now, seating is going to be tight. I basically have a width of 122" and I was looking at several models and brands of HT seats and they basically run around the 100" range in width. So, that would be find, BUT All of my AV equipment will be in the rear of the room which I have to be able to walk around these seats. So, I don't think a row of 3 seats is going to work for me. So, the next idea is to have two rows of two. This means a riser. I don't mind building a riser. I built a stage and the process is very similar. The problem is that I will have a suspended ceiling that will have a height somewhere in the range of of 7'. So, I used the riser calculator with the measurements that I took of the chair and with someone sitting it in and figured seating height from eyes to floor and head to floor etc... and basically I need a riser that is around 12" high. That's because my screen is really only going to be about 28" inches from the ground and the first row of seats are going to be around 10' back. To me a 12" riser is not convenient for anyone to steup up to, and I concerned about the height of the ceiling..etc. So, I think that option is out. Next thought. How about 3 seats. Two in the front split and then one behind them in the middle. This would probably work except I'm concerned about line of site again. The seats are about 40" wide and that would leave enough of an opening for the seat in the back to see the screen. What do you all think. Any seating ideas you would suggest for a smaller HT?

Thanks
    Don

2. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    Another option is to stagger the seats. In the back row you could have two seats against the right wall. The front row the two seats could be against the left wall. It would be a bit of a zig-zag, but you wouldn't need a riser, and 3 of the 4 seats would have a straight view. The 4th seat wold be looking between the front seats.
    Dave

3. DelRay

DelRay Stunt Coordinator

Well, a 100" screen is about 50" tall. Give or take. Is the screen going to be mounted flush with the ceiling? Maybe there's a way to recess the the screen frame into the ceiling. That will give you about 5 more inches. Maybe a 8" riser will work then. That way no ceiling issues. The bottom of my soffit is about 6'5" off the floor. And the bottom of the 92" screen is roughly 33" from the floor. One of the issues I had to deal with concerning the rear seating, was to make sure my feet didn't get in the way when reclined. My riser is 8". http://community.webshots.com/user/del44