SubWoofer in Riser

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Rob.Bar..., Nov 30, 2004.

1. Rob.Bar...

Rob.Bar... Auditioning

I am working on my home theater room, and was trying to figure out where to put my subs. I am going to be using adire shiva's, and the best winisd plots all look for > 5 cubic feet. Well, its seems the rear sofa riser is basically a big box right...

So my idea is to build two boxes that are 10" high, 36" wide, and 5' deep. The front would slope out at a 30 degree angle or so to give me enough room to mount the sub. On top of the two boxes build the rest of the stage with a few sheets of ply and you are off to the races.

Are there any glaring problems with a design of this nature, other than you need grills to keep people from kicking your subs in?

-Rob

2. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

No, not really, though I would try to configure them as downfiring, slot loading them to gain some more acoustic efficiency. Solves the grill issue too.

GM

3. Jason Dalton

Jason Dalton Stunt Coordinator

After bracing and such those boxes are going to come out to probably around 8 cu.ft. You may want to consider using a pair of Blueprint 1503's instead of four Shiva's (I'm assuming thats what you were planning). The Blueprints will get you some more output in the low 20's and teens.