What's new

Traditional freestanding subwoofer placed under false floor??? (1 Viewer)

automationamateur

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
I recently purchased a home that has an 11 seat home theater in the basement. The theater has 3 rows of seats with the first row being on the lowest level (concrete foundation) and the other two rows are built on top of a false floor riser (2x4's, subfloor and carpet on top). This creates a very sizable void of unused space under the false floor. Also, an access panel, wiring and electrical access is already present under the false floor. I am wondering if I can utilize this space to place a traditional free standing powered subwoofer or two, in order to take up less space in the theater itself without seriously compromising the subs performance??? I have options to cut openings in false floor if it would help the bass flow from under false floor into the theater.

Thoughts? I appreciate the help.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Subwoofers, all speakers in fact, operate by moving air in the room. So, the floor might vibrate a little, but the only place you'll be moving air is inside the void. That void is basically a different room. You probably wouldn't put speakers for your home theater in a different room than the home theater. So, no, that will not work. Cutting holes would actually make the distribution of the b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks