What's new

Projector Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

SmilingAngel

Auditioning
Real Name
Angie E
Hello. Currently in the process of finishing up our new house build and would love some suggestions for a projector for our theater room. We have a dedicated 27'L x 20'Wx 8 1/2"T room in our basement. No natural light at all in this room. Ceiling will be painted black with dark blue fabric on walls.
The screen size is not set in stone yet, we can go a max of 74" high on the screen and would like the cinemascope (2:35/40:1) ratio. There will be two rows of seating, the first row at 12' from screen and the second at 18' set on an 8" riser.

We already have our speakers for a Klipsch Atmos Setup (6 ceiling speakers, surrounds on both rows, rear heights & regular, front towers, heights, centers and front & rear 12" subwoofers. The room does have dedicated ceiling projecterplugs at 15' and 22' from the screen. Planning a Denon 7200 or 6300 receiver to go with this. Any ideas on projector (and screen size for this setup) would be greatly appreciated. 3D is not necessary, this room will be mainly be for watching movies, and maybe occasional gaming. There is no set budget, but would like to keep it under $3k.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yeah, as much as I hate the wobulator fake 4Ks, unless you are willing to wait for the real ones with better HDR, the Epson 5040 is your best bet today. My advice to anyone pretty much remains "If you have to buy today, 5040. If you can wait, wait".

SmilingAngel

Auditioning
Real Name
Angie E
Thank you both so much. Consensus seems to be the Epson, we plan to be moved in within the next 6-8 months and I'd rather go with a decent not too $$ one right now and be able to upgrade to the better 4k in a few years. When *hopefully* prices might be more manageable. I could probably bump the budget up a thousand or so if that would put me in a better range? I did manage to snooker the hubby into Atmos and him thinking it was *his* idea. :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have the Epson 5030 (which is a 1080p projector), and I am absolutely blown away by it. I'm extremely happy with its performance, and I find that 1080p in both 2D and 3D looks spectacular on my home screen (about 100").

If the Epson 5040 is at least as good as the 5030, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
This 4K projector thing is the first time in my life that my appetite got so far ahead of where the technology market is. Usually, the upward capability creep has me always wanting what's next, wishing I didn't have to buy because I know I will want the "next thing" in 6 months.

But with 4k projecting, I've been in a mode where I probably would have bought for some time now.

SmilingAngel

Auditioning
Real Name
Angie E
We're back and forth between a 5040UB and a used low hour Sony 600. Not sure which way we're leaning right now. Any opinions?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks