What's new

Subwoofer hum (1 Viewer)

Grant*S

Auditioning
i know this has been asked before, but im looking to fix this problem. i have a cerwin Vega ls-15 subwoofer and it sounds great, however , when i turn something on like a lamp or even my receiver i get a hum. i tried undoing the subwoofer cable(which is a monster cable line) and turned on the lamp- no hum. so my question is, whats next to check.BTW it is a 3 prong connection going into a wall socket.any help would be apprieciated

Scott>G

Agent
What about use of a cheater plug? Brings 3 prongs down to two. Just becareful, no longer grounded.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Yeah - just use a different circuit. Maybe you can get away with using an extension cord for the lamp.

Grant*S

Auditioning
i forgot to mention the lamp is plugged into an opposite wall. not on the same circuit. even when i plug stuff in on the same wall but different socket i get the hum. I also live in an apartment so wall sockets are at a premium

Jason_A

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like some kind of interference that is getting through the cable.

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
My friend had the same problem and solved it by plugging the sub's power cord into a quality power bar.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Different wall doesn't necessarily mean a different circuit.
You can turn on everything............HT, lights, radios, whatever stuff is plugged in anywhere and flip off a circuit breaker or fuse and see what goes off. You may find out stuff in 2-3 rooms(not everything in those rooms) goes off at same time. One breaker/fuse may only turn off half the room, or just 2 things in the room..........

Grant*S

Auditioning
it seems that its the wall socket itself. i unplugged the lamp that was connected to a wall switch and just placed it on a regular outlet...no more hum;) finally, some sonic peace

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks