What's new

Subwoofer "burp"? (1 Viewer)

Themerkle

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon M
Just setting up my first home theater ever and I couldn't be more excited. The road has been far bumpier than I could have imagined, and I've faced many unexpected challenges - I've been able to solve most of my issues by lurking these forums but this one is getting the best of me:

My subwoofer occasionally "burps". I've researched the forums for a similar issue but I can only seem to find issues of either consistent humming or "popping". This sound is somewhere in between. It's a low hum (just a normal bass note, not a buzz or high pitched sound) for a second or two at random intervals. It occurs while the system is being used as well as when the receiver is turned off. Any ideas?

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Welcome. In cases such as this one I find the best approach is to isolate the problem to the extent possible. Try disconnecting the sub from everything except it's power source and note whether the behavior remains. If it doesn't, connect the sub to your AVR [equipment and connection method would be helpful] but with no other speakers, etc., connected. Proceed this way, reconnecting each speaker until the problem reoccurs. At that point we'll have a better idea of what is happening and how to best deal with it.

Last edited:

Themerkle

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon M
Okay, I'll see if I can find time today to follow these instructions and update you. It will be time consuming as the "burps" are fairly widely spaced apart and inconsistent (either that, or they're associated with some other action that I haven't realized is correlated yet), so each step of reassembling the system will need adequate time to determine whether the problem still occurs in that state or not.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
What is the make and model of the sub and AVR.

Themerkle

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon M
I've got two Speakercraft Bassx-10s connected to an Onkyo TX-NR6050. I spent about an hour this morning trying to isolate which one of the two was making the sound, but of course when I want it to happen, there's no sign of the fault.

Themerkle

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon M
Okay, so... I've made some minor progress. It would seem that these subs have an auto-off feature that kills the power automatically when the speaker is not receiving an audio signal. This feature seems to work great on one of the two, but occasionally fails on the other. If the receiver is off, but the speaker fails to turn itself off automatically (it doesn't always fail, sometimes it turns off the way it should), it then goes on to make the "thbbbbpppt" noise every several minutes.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Okay, so... I've made some minor progress. It would seem that these subs have an auto-off feature that kills the power automatically when the speaker is not receiving an audio signal. This feature seems to work great on one of the two, but occasionally fails on the other. If the receiver is off, but the speaker fails to turn itself off automatically (it doesn't always fail, sometimes it turns off the way it should), it then goes on to make the "thbbbbpppt" noise every several minutes.
That suggests this sub is receiving some sort of constant signal (such as a ground loop?) which is preventing it from powering down. Are you able to easily swap the cabling and see if the behavior moves to the other sub?

Themerkle

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon M
swap the cabling
Are you referring to the power or the signal? I've plugged both subs' power into a different outlet and, while I've yet to hear either burp, I can confirm that the auto-off situation is unchanged. That is that the left goes off after I turn off the receiver, but the right just stays on indefinitely.

If you're suggesting a change in the signal wires, could I just swap the two RCAs to the opposite preout on the AVR?

Themerkle

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon M
Okay, I waited for the subs to go into the one auto-off and the other perpetually on state before switching the RCA cables at the preouts on the receiver. This "woke up" the sleeping sub. After tending to some other chores, I checked back and the system was unchanged: Left goes auto-off and right stays awake. To reiterate, at this point, I haven't heard the burp all morning - I am operating on the assumption that failing to auto-off is the underlying issue and the direct cause for the burps.

Would it make sense to physically swap the positions of the subwoofer drivers to see if there is any change, or would that be irrelevant? Here's hoping I don't have to move them, lol!

Edit: If I disconnect the RCA signal cable from the sub that is failing to auto-off, and it remains on, would that be an effective way of determining that the sub is faulty?

Last edited:

Themerkle

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon M
Update: Still burping, same side. I've moved the power to several different outlets (Though these could still be the same household circuit if I'm not mistaken?), and swapped sources around - but it remains the right sub doesn't auto off and makes the noise from time to time.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Themerkle

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon M
I saw no mention of an "auto off" feature
That is interesting... I don't see any mention of it either, but it's definitely behaving that way. I should say the other sub is behaving that way. I'm pretty satisfied that the issue is within the subwoofer itself. I take it these things aren't easy to repair at home?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
That is interesting... I don't see any mention of it either, but it's definitely behaving that way. I should say the other sub is behaving that way. I'm pretty satisfied that the issue is within the subwoofer itself. I take it these things aren't easy to repair at home?
"Easy" is relative but it's likely not a cost-effective option. Here's what a replacement might cost. I'd probably just save up for a single, more contemporary offering from the likes of SVS or similar.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree with John. Speakercraft isn't an especially good speaker. At the least, you could get a Dayton sub from Parts-express.com. There are several in the price range of that used one. A new 8" is $135.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks