What's new

Subwoofer and pets (1 Viewer)

BrianL

Auditioning
I was playing around with my subwoofer today and when I came downstairs (ht is upstairs in our living room) I found our new puppy huddled in the corner shaking. Made me feel kinda bad. Will he eventually get used it or am I gonna have to boot that dog out j/k ? I can imagine that what's loud to me must be extremely loud to a dog. I'd be interested in hearing some feedback from you other pet owners.

I know this is ot but I'm not sure where this post belongs so mods feel free to move it if need be.

DarrenHo

Stunt Coordinator
cat was slinking around today while i was watching a movie with the stereo on. he's gonna have to get used to it.

Joris van W.

Auditioning
I have some cool cats. They don't care!!!! They continue to sleep, sometimes almost next to my rear speaker. Sometimes they look up when someone in a movie knocks loudly on a door or window. That's nice to see.

ChrisBee

Stunt Coordinator
Cool cats are surely deaf cats? :b

Cats usually like a bit of peace for about 18 hours a day while they snooze between frequent snacks. That doesn't leave them much time to appreciate HT bass.

Our cat gets very nervous on some music above 75-80dB. He really hates recorder music and classical organ in particular. He must be sensitive to sine waves.

The irritating thing is how he manages to sleep through almost anything when he is really tired after a night out with his girlfriends. I haven't managed to get a proper explanation about this contrary behaviour from him yet.:wink:

I don't really think animals should share an HT room. I just doesn't seem fair to subject them to sudden high SPLs. Though I suppose it depends on whether the animal shows signs of stress.

It could not escape our notice that all our young cats went competely mental when subjected to their first New Year's Night Fireworks. Racing about and trying to hide under the furniture.

The lone surviving male still hides under the funiture on New Year's night and during bad thunder storms. I would hide too if I could get under there with him! :b

ChrisBee

BrianWH

Agent
Dog: sleeps through even the loudest of scenes, never complains.

Woman: complains throughout the film with comments like: "I said no louder than 35!" and "How can you enjoy this?!" and my favorite: "the bass is making by ribs vibrate!"

God I love that dog.

Brian

CaseyLS

Second Unit
My cat, Cougar, was under my bed when I was hooked up my SVS to show off to my dad. I showed him the tree burst scene in BOB first. About two seconds I heard a knock at my door and I looked over and I saw Cougar trying to headbutt his way through the door. I am sure the little bastard got a concussion because he was pounding the door.

and I swear I didn't know he was in my room

TimRP

Stunt Coordinator
If your dog is having problems with the system I think you can train them out of their frieghtened behavior. Cut up a hot dog or use some liver treats that he loves. Then give him some as you play the system softly, as you go louder give more treats, do this over time and he may very well warm up the theater and its scary noises.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
My dog was scared of the sub at first, so I turned it down and gradually over a period of weeks cranked it back up again. She's pretty much immune to it now, but I can't run much over 15db below reference or it starts to hurt MY ears.

BTW, If I had to choose between the HT and my dog, I'd happily watch vhs on a 13" Emerson.

Neal_C

Second Unit
My little kitty (about 7 months old) usually watches movies with us. He usually just hops on the sofa with us or on the love seat. Sometimes he even sits facing the tv with his eyes open...I swear he is actually watching the movie.

I have a pronto, so I usually set it on the coffee table, push the macro button and walk up to the dvd player to put the dvd in. One time he was in the kitchen and I pushed the macro button and things started coming on and here he comes, jogs into the living room, hops up on the couch and is ready to watch. It was pretty cool.

And by the way, I have the SVS PB2+...so there is plenty of bass :)

Neal

Mike Gl

Stunt Coordinator
My dog continues to show anxiety in thunderstorms or if we pass over rumble strips or brick roads while driving. I suspect low frequencies are the cause.

The dog tends to initially bark at the screen when my dual SVS subs are very active. After a while he tires and goes to sleep nearby with no apparent anxiety.

BrianL, given time and reassurance I expect your dog will acclimate to LFE from your sub.

Eric Eash

Second Unit
i have two dogs, and neither care too much about loud music. and i know they aren't deaf, and i've had my sub over 120db. i too would get rid of it all if it bothered my dogs too much, either that, or build some soundproof kennels.:D

eric

PS, it is just my dog, or do you guys have dogs that get up and run to the screen everytime a dog is show in a movie? man i love my dogs!!!

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
my cats got a shock from me so they would stay away from the SVS and not use it as a scratching post. the little one is still scared but my older one seems to like it and looks at the speakers and sits in the middle of the room while I play SCAD's. was funny. maybe he actually like it now.

Abe Rodrigue

Stunt Coordinator
My dog will lay on the floor within a few feet of my sub and sleep through a movie. The only time he gets excited is when there is a knock on a door in a movie. Then he makes a b-line for the front door barking like crazy. When he finds out that there is no one there he comes back up stairs and looks at me like "what just happened". (I never claimed to have a smart dog.) I think it will just take sometime to get used to the new sounds of your HT. Eventually he will get used to it.

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with Neal. My cat sits with us on the couch and actually watches the movies. She has never been scared of the bass, or any sound that is going on. It's great to see her watching the stuff going on and moving her hear around to keep up with it. The vacuum on the other hand is a whole different story. She runs and hides under the bed when ever it's turned on. You gotta love them cats!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

BrianL

Auditioning
So they will get used it then? That's good to know. I'll give the treats idea a try and see if that will speed up the "adjustment phase". I guess the dog can stay :D. Thanks for the responses!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks