What's new

Blu-ray Review Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) 4K Restoration Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) 4K Restoration Blu-ray Review

Twentieth Century Fox has given its grand and glorious adventure tale of the old school, Henry Levin’s Journey to the Center of Earth, a wonderful 4K restoration which Twilight Time is now offering in a new Blu-ray edition. The film itself remains loads of fun, and with superb production design, sound, and special effects (all of which earned Oscar nominations for their respective artisans) and featuring an ingratiating cast and even a song or two, this Journey remains definitely one worth taking. For those fans who partook of Twilight Time’s first Blu-ray release, this edition is definitely worth the upgrade.

Studio: Fox

Distributed By: Twilight Time

Video Resolution and Encode: 1080P/AVC

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1

Audio: English 2.0 DTS-HDMA, English 5.1 DTS-HDMA

Subtitles: English SDH

Rating: G

Run Time: 2 Hr. 9 Min.

Package Includes: Blu-ray

keep case

Disc Type: BD50 (dual layer)

Region: All

Release Date: 03/10/2015

MSRP: $29.95

The Production Rating: 4/5

Edinburgh professor Sir Oliver S. Lindenbrook (James Mason) and his young student Alec McKuen (Pat Boone) lead a party of four (including the widow of one of his rivals – played by Arlene Dahl) down an Icelandic volcano encountering many natural perils along the way. One unnatural peril they additionally face is the constant threat of sabotage by the nefarious Count Saknussem (Thayer David) whose ancestors led the original expedition below and who now takes every opportunity to send the explorers down the wrong shafts and endanger their very lives as often as he can. Along the way to the center of the Earth are many surprises and one conundrum: how will they get back to the surface once they’ve reached the center of the Earth?

Lovers of action may become impatient that it takes a full forty-five minutes for the descent into the Earth’s core to begin, but the time setting up for the excursion is not wasted allowing us to get to know the personalities of the four explorers in the party (plus a pet duck who is along for the ride and more than once saves their skins). The Walter Reisch-Charles Brackett screenplay is full of incident, some taken from the Jules Verne novel and some pure Hollywood invention, but all of it is exciting and engrossing. The production design is especially inventive and eye-popping throughout (a pity the film was released the same year as Ben-Hur; some of those Oscar nominations it garnered might well have been awards in another year), and director Henry Levin never lets the momentum dawdle, even when the team gets separated: there are always interesting discoveries and risky adventures around the next turn or down the next shaft. In this age of CGI miracles, the special effects here with underground dragons and a deadly sea vortex may strike some as quaint, but they were impressive in their day and still hold up. That maelstrom at sea, the mushroom forest, and the salt and quartz caverns are still very striking.

The cast seems to be having a whale of a good time. Though Pat Boone’s Scottish accent is rather puny, he evinces great good humor and seems game for anything (including a couple of sequences where he’s wearing next to nothing). There are also a couple of unobtrusive songs. James Mason’s natural authority and gravitas serve him well as a slightly absent-minded professor type even if his Scottish accent is also of varying quality. Arlene Dahl contributes to the fun, too, and is more than just a pretty face and, inevitably, a late-reel love interest for James Mason. Thayer David’s charlatan isn’t as fully developed as it might have been with more precise writing, but Peter Ronson as the Icelandic guide Hans Belker is quite a gratifying presence and most welcome even though his words must be constantly translated. Diane Baker is an okay love interest for Pat Boone’s Alec even though once the expedition leaves Scotland, the occasional returns to her back home are rather intrusive and not especially interesting.

Video Rating: 4.5/5  3D Rating: NA

The theatrical Cinemascope aspect ratio of 2.35:1 is faithfully rendered in this 1080p transfer using the AVC codec. Due to the 4K remastering the film has undergone, sharpness is now much better defined even with an occasional soft long shot, and color is more solid and vibrant without ever going out of control. Flesh tones are especially pleasing. Black levels are very good, but the darkness levels of the cave environments don’t quite blend into the letterbox bars. Compared to the previous Blu-ray, there is more picture information presented now (the previous master must have been zoomed in a little), and the overall image is much cleaner and more vivid. The transfer has been divided into 24 chapters.

Audio Rating: 4.5/5

The disc offers two sound mixes: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 stereo and 5.1 surround mixes (the previous Blu-ray had a 4.0 mix). The dialogue track is more vibrant and present (though without strong directionality) in the 5.1 mix which was the preferred audio mix for me. Bernard Herrmann’s score gets woven impressively through the entire surround soundfield, and the use of split surrounds during explosive moments is most impressive. There’s a generous amount of rumbling bass in the mix, too, which will delight your subwoofer.

Special Features Rating: 3/5

Audio Commentary: producer Nick Redman hosts actress Diane Baker and film and music historian Steven C. Smith for a lively and interesting discussion of the film (though more about it would have been welcome) and Baker’s eclectic career in Hollywood.

Isolated Score Track: Bernard Herrmann’s music score is offered in a DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 stereo and sounds superb.

Theatrical Trailer (3:20, SD)

Six-Page Booklet: contains color and black stills, poster art for the film on the booklet’s back cover, and film historian Julie Kirgo’s always informative background essay on the movie.

Overall Rating: 4/5

Journey to the Center of the Earth is an adventure lover’s paradise of a movie. Perfect for family viewing especially once the journey actually gets started, the movie comes with a strong recommendation. Only five thousand copies of this new Blu-ray restoration edition have been produced, so those interested in obtaining it should hop to www.screenarchives.com to see if copies are still available. They're also available via Facebook at www.facebook.com/twilighttimemovies.

Reviewed By: Matt Hough

Support HTF when you buy this title:

JeffT.

Deceased Member
I can't help but wonder if the "parent" ownership companies will ultimately (or eventually) in time release these bluray titles on their own label and issue at more "commercial" retail prices of say just $19.99 rather than leasing them out to others.

A good film noteworthy for the fine casting of James Mason albeit one longs for a more accurate interpretation of the Jules Verne-envisioned dinosaurs as opposed to contemporary lizards being pressed into service.

This would have been an excellent project for the likes of Ray Harryhausen.

Jeff T.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Kinda angry that this should have been released the first time by Twilight and not a second time. Bought the first blu-ray and still thinking about getting this one.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
JeffT. said:
I can't help but wonder if the "parent" ownership companies will ultimately (or eventually) in time release these bluray titles on their own label and issue at more "commercial" retail prices of say just $19.99 rather than leasing them out to others.

A good film noteworthy for the fine casting of James Mason albeit one longs for a more accurate interpretation of the Jules Verne-envisioned dinosaurs as opposed to contemporary lizards being pressed into service.

This would have been an excellent project for the likes of Ray Harryhausen.

Jeff T.

Well the thing I got out of all this is that the three year license for JTTCOTE had expired. Fox evidently had the right to not renew and release it, but chose to renew their agreement for that title with Twilight.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I went to look for this last night and Amazon had it for $49 with only 6 in stock and another blu-ray website said it's sold out. Then checked another site that has it for $19.99. So a little confused. Is this a new release, as in this year, I thought it was. Or released two years ago as another site said!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
There are three Blu-Ray versions of this film

2012 - Twilight Time - sold out
2013 - Shock (Australia)
2015 - Twilight Time - new 4K restoration

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
David Weicker said:

2013 - Shock (Australia)
Do we know if the Australian release is from the same master as the 2012 Twilight?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
David Weicker said:

2013 - Shock (Australia)
Aha! Okay, that explains it. Thank you for the reply. I thought it was a new release. The Amazon listing must have been the 2012 release but I didn't know what to look for. The $19.99 price was at the Screen Archive site. I know now to look for the 4K release.

Thanks again David.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Gary16 said:
Do we know if the Australian release is from the same master as the 2012 Twilight?
If it wasn't the exact same master, according to the reviews, it was a similar transfer.

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
It's worth noting that even for a 1959 soundtrack, the isolate score track exercises a modern hi-fi. I bought this new BD partly to test out a new sub, I presumed that the "Atlantis" incidental music using all the organs would give it a workout. Wrong. The opening main title overture thunders out and had the subwoofer rumbling beautifully.

I'm not certain, but it sounds like during the sessions for the "rats in the attic" sequence, Mr. Herrmann displayed his well-known grumpiness. It seems he interrupts the orchestra several times to get what he wants ... and these halted cues are on the track. Rather entertaining to hear.

atcolomb said:
Kinda angry that this should have been released the first time by Twilight and not a second time. Bought the first blu-ray and still thinking about getting this one.

My reading here and elsewhere is that the previous BD was from a master made for DVD or similar. It wasn't much to look at. Twilight Time probably doesn't have the funds to produce a re-master, the owner of the film has to do that. Someone at the studio thought it was high time for a remaster of the film, in 4K no less.

I think sometimes a studio may discount whether a film should be restored, and a "test release" through a third party willing to do some of the work (and risk, and financing) can be compelling evidence to do an expensive restoration.

Yes, it sucks to be a customer of these "test releases." But what alternative do we have.

ahollis said:
Well the thing I got out of all this is that the three year license for JTTCOTE had expired. Fox evidently had the right to not renew and release it, but chose to renew their agreement for that title with Twilight.

Nelson Au said:
Aha! Okay, that explains it. Thank you for the reply. I thought it was a new release. The Amazon listing must have been the 2012 release but I didn't know what to look for. The $19.99 price was at the Screen Archive site. I know now to look for the 4K release.

Thanks again David.

I think TT ought to have crafted new cover art so the two releases wouldn't be confused. I'm sure some charlatans on Amazon, eBay and elsewhere will be happy to sell an old BD to someone thinking it's the new one.

My understanding is that Screen Archives Entertainment is the only authorized retail source of the new limited edition. Buying from a third party, caveat emptor.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
David Weicker said:
If it wasn't the exact same master, according to the reviews, it was a similar transfer.
I think what you mean to say is that it was of course a different encode, but I believe the it was from the same transfer or master that was supplied by Fox.

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
The original DVD was pretty good, for a DVD, and it wasn't pan-n-scan like the VHS copies, so I was more than happy with it. Plus, it contained a "restoration" featurette showing how they had restored the faded colour, so again, that was nice to see. Of course, I am eagerly awaiting delivery of my BR, and expect it to be streets better, but for its time, the DVD was not bad at all.

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
Request for anyone.... Can someone determine from their player or AVR if the two soundtracks, and isolated music track, are 16-bit, 24-bit,...? I'd like to keep online listings accurate. TIA.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
ChromeJob said:
Request for anyone.... Can someone determine from their player or AVR if the two soundtracks, and isolated music track, are 16-bit, 24-bit,...? If like to keep online listings accurate. TIA.

I'll oblige.

Main soundtrack: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, 48kHz, 24-bit

Secondary soundtrack DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0, 48kHz, 24-bit

Isolated score: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0, 48kHz, 24-bit

Commentary: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0, 48kHz, 16-bit.

Hope that helps.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
This finally arrived, looks very nice, & the colour looks spot on. The only thing is some of the underground shots look very dark, almost like background detail is missing. I raised the black level on my TV a bit & it looked better. This is not a moan, more of an observation, I'm very happy with it, it was a faded negative they scanned from.

And no obvious grain (just like The Blue Max, also scanned from the original neg), just as it should be.

F451

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
This is an excellent release! It is an upgrade over the Australian disc which, I have read, uses the same master as the first TT release. For comparisons of the Aus and TT2 release, see the DVD Beaver website.

The TT2 is exemplary! Image and sound quality are excellent. The extras present are quite good. Herrmann's score in 2.0 stereo is great! (I keep wondering if the original recordings could be remixed to 5.1 but that's another story.)

A wonderful and a great presentation! Most highly recommended!

Dans Hands

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
I bought the first TT release and was, of course, disappointed with the lame transfer. I'll hang onto it, since I nabbed one of the autographed copies. The new one is amazing. The first one should have been amazing. TT should have offered a discount (or something) for those of us who invested in that first version. Having said that, the new transfer is SO good that I'm not gonna cry over spilt milk...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks