What's new

Strangers With Candy - The Movie (1 Viewer)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else looking forward to this one? It's based on the popular comedy central TV series.

I'd heard they were planning a big screen version, but had no idea it was this close to production.

Apparently it's going to be filming in NYC June 2004.

Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick are going to have cameo appearances or play supporting characters of some kind.

I think it's a little exciting. This was such a funny show, and I think it would work on the screen.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The last I heard of it was in an interview with Amy Sedaris in The Onion a couple of months ago. At that time she, Paul Dinello, and Stephen Colbert were still trying to hammer out a script. I hope it gets made, but it's all still very much in pre-production.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
(I removed a few bits from the synopsis as it pretty much gives away the plot of the movie. I've kept the basic description from www.strangerswithcandymovie.com though.)

STRANGERS WITH CANDY is a daring leap backwards. A prequel to the critically acclaimed Comedy Central series of the same name, it is the story of Jerri Blank (Amy Sedaris), a 46 year-old ex-junkie, ex-con who returns to high school in a bid to start her life over, only to confront the most dangerous gang of all — the cool kids.
Reuniting the cast and writers from the original series, Strangers with Candy takes us back to when our hero Jerri Blank emerges from her long prison stay with a special goodbye prison riot with her cellmates.

Jerri arrives at her childhood home to find that her father Guy Blank (Dan Hedaya), now in a coma, has re-married and fathered a child, Derrick (Joseph Cross). Although mortified by her stepdaughter's return, his new wife, Sara Blank (Deborah Rush), begrudgingly allows Jerri to move in when the family doctor suggests that her presence might bring Guy out of his thirty-two-year coma.

The next day Jerri is admitted as a student at Flatpoint High School by Principal Blackman (Greg Hollimon), who has just made a deal with the school board that if his school wins this year's Science Fair, they will be able to keep school board funding.
Meanwhile, Jerri has her eye on handsome Brason (Chris Pratt), the school jock, while her friend Megawatti (Carlo Alban) falls for her, creating a true cinematic love triangle.
Blackman informs Science Teacher Chuck Noblet (Stephen Colbert), Art Teacher Geoffrey Jellineck (Paul Dinello) and the others that he has brought in Science Fair ringer Roger Beekman (Matthew Broderick) to win the fair. Mr. Noblet argues and is given his own team, which Jerri quickly joins. If she doesn't want to screw up her one chance to do high school over, Jerri will have to use her prison know-how to help the team win and make her father proud.

Cast and Crew list

Amy Sedaris ... Jerri Blank
Paul Dinello ... Geoffrey Jellineck
Stephen Colbert ... Chuck Noblet
Deborah Rush ... Sara Blank
Sarah Thyre ... Coach Cherri Wolf
Gregory Hollimon ... Onyx Blackman
Maria Thayer ... Tammi Littlenut
David Pasquesi ... Stew
Joseph Cross ... Derrick Blank
Chris Pratt ... Brason
Carlo Alban ... Megawatti Sacarnaputri
Dan Hedaya ... Guy Blank
Matthew Broderick ... Roger Beekman
Allison Janney ... Alice
Kristen Johnston ... Coach Divers
Justin Theroux ... Carlo Honklin
Sarah Jessica Parker ... Peggy Callas
Philip Seymour Hoffman ... Henry
Sir Ian Holm ... Dr. Putney

Great cast. It's also worth mentioning that Jerri's step-brother Derrick has been recast with a younger actor (to push the fact that Jerri is much older). The role of Orlando has also been changed (same age problem) But considering this movie takes place before the first episode, Megawatti Sacarnaputri (Carlo Alban)
could be considered a different character playing the same role Orlando would have played.

Paul Dinello ... Director/Writer
Stephen Colbert ... Writer/Co-Producer
Amy Sedaris ... Writer
Mark Roberts ... Producer
Lorena David ... Producer
Valerie Schaer Nathanson ... Producer
Jennifer Booth ... Line Producer
Oliver Bokelberg ... Director of
Photography
Teresa Mastropierro ... Production
Designer
Michael R. Miller ... Editor
Matt Lappin ... Comedy Consultant
Victoria Farrell ... Costume Designer
Marcelo Zarvos ... Music

Richard Move ... Choreographer
Kabuki ... Make-up Artist
Rosemary Lombard ... Unit Production
Manager
Cinetic Media ... Producer's Rep.
Joseph Middleton ... Casting Director

I've also included a few stills from the film (once again, thanks to strangerswithcandymovie.com) There are plenty more available there.

I definitely can't wait for this movie. 2005 is gonna be a blast. "Good timmmes!"

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Colbert, Sedaris, and Dinello writing the script and all the principals in place... oh man, get your bacon strips ready for the big dance and GO LADY DONKS!!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Dinello's "Candy" is the story of Amy Sedaris' Jerri Blank, a forty-something ex-con and junky who returns home to return to high school as a freshman.

"'Strangers with Candy' completely caught me off guard. It is rude, hilarious and bizarre. We loved it." said Mark Gill, President of Warner Independent Pictures, in a statement. The company plans to release the film this fall.

The movie marks the first feature film for Letterman's Worldwide Pants, which also produces Letterman's late night show and the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson.

http://parkcity.indiewire.com/biz/archives/000161.html

Strangers has a home. :) yay

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I'm gonna have to go see this wearing my Flairs (techno music plays).

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor

You would have thought they would have known what to expect, given it was on air for 3 seasons on Comedy Central.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member

I'm taking into consideration he probably hadn't seen an episode before. If this is the case then it bodes well for the film appealing to people who aren't just fans of the show. Clearly he enjoyed it as an introduction to the universe of Jerri Blank.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Never seen the series but wanted to see it at Sundance. I am guessing it is highly regarded here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks