What's new

STORYTELLERS: Songs that tell stories (1 Viewer)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Ok, since we are on a storytelling kick, what is everyone's interpretation of the Don Henley song END OF THE INNOCENCE? Some people take it as a political statement about the 80s. Some take it as a divorce song. Some take it as a girl losing her virginity.

I and others take it as a song about a father sexually molesting his child. I get weird looks when I say that, but a few people I know get the same impression from that song. Did Henley do a storytellers and reveal? or what are your opinions?

Judy Y

Stunt Coordinator
Don't forget Warren Zevon.......... he seemed to tell the saddest stories of all in his songs, Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner, Carmelita etc. etc.

John Hiatt- my personal favorite, the perfectly crafted Tennessee Plates

Steve Earle- Copperhead Road

Neil Young's Greendale

Emmylou Harris' Red Dirt Girl

Dave S.G.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
John Prine - Live (1988) - Acoustic renderings of hits and misses, often interspersed with stories about the songs themselves or related subjects. The songs themselves, such as "Donald & Lydia", "Sam Stone", "Six o'Clock News" are almost all story-based.

Bill Morrissey - Night Train - He sings with gravelly but empathetic voice. Most of these songs are story-based and about relationships or character portraits. The song "Birches" itself is one of the best story-songs I know, dramatizing the state of a marriage without ever being overt. And the last two stanzas are magical, visualizing the sacrifices people make to remain in a longterm relationship.

Josh Ritter - Hello Starling - Only a few of these songs are really stories, but what stories they are: "Wings" and
Bone of Song". Go back to his previous record, Golden Age of Radio and there are more narrative songs; they aren't as deep, but they are rollicking fun (particularly "Me & Jiggs", "Lawrence, KS", and "Golden Age of Radio"

A sampling of narratively-based Dylan - "Bob Dylan's Dream", "Boots of Spanish Leather", "Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll", "Tangled Up in Blue", "Simple Twist of Fate", "Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts", "Isis", "Senor", "Dignity", "Highlands", "Mississippi"

North

Auditioning
Wow. Fantastic. Now I have lots of new songs to enjoy from many genres. Thanks for sharing!

I'll add another album that I discovered and really like.

--David Gray's White Ladder--

"Say Hello, Wave Goodbye", & "Nightblindness" are two cuts that have a storytelling vibe to them but the whole album is great.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Rachel by Julie Miller, from the 2001 disc Buddy and Julie Miller.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks