What's new

Steve Canyon (1958) (2 Viewers)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Having received the Email yesterday with the artwork, episode credits and details about the wonderful bonus commentaries on volume 2 (as with volume 1 for EVERY episode!) I ordered vol. 2 this morning and can't wait to continue watching this enjoyable series in a deluxe presentation and treatment that is so seldom afforded to TV of this vintage...loved vol. 1, and the commentaries were so rich with info and insight...John Ellis and all involved deserve great praise for this spectacular DVD treatment! Seeing the USAF at the height of it's powers and during a golden age of experimental aeronautics is phenomenal...it's still a great thrill for me to occasionally see B52's at 40,000+ making a gorgeous contrail across our cold and clear Canadian skies...

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Randall..
I was born and grew up around the Hampton Roads area of Virginia (Newport News *shipbuilding and army*; Hampton *air force*, Norfolk *naval*, Portsmouth *amphibious*) so can appreciate this kind of offering, especially growing up in that era. It was a common sight to see jet fighters flying over the house, seeing rockets being launched from Wallops Island, vehicle convoys, etc... as well as going on base to watch air shows (and going inside planes) as well as the naval yards to tour the ships. Those days are long gone so this is the next best thing reliving a small part of yesterday. And I also remember the B-52 - a wonderful looking plane and seeing one taxi overhead of a runway that was also an overpass to the road that ran by Oceana. What a sight that was as were the many contrails from that glistening plane in the upper atmosphere.
I belong to a group that reminisce about the good old days in that area and passed along the disc information to them in hopes to stir up more pre-sales.
There isn't any doubt John and crew have put a LOT of effort into the creation and composition of these discs. Just hope some of the compression issues in cloud and shadow areas have been improved for HD viewing - the only gripe I have or ever had with this series as the problem is isolated while the rest is amazing and well worth the cost!
Eric

John Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Ellis
Thanks for all the kind words everyone. The "check discs" look great...just waiting for the factory to give the "finished/come and get 'em" call. I'm in the process right now of getting ready to ship...they will ship as early as possible next week (by the 15th, as promised).

Otherwise know that the effort of the last 3 months have stripped my gears, and I am exhausted...more details on this later (after everyone gets to see Volume 2 for themselves).

Coincidentally Eric, did you know that I Produced (and essentially co-created) a popular Air Force-centric science fiction movie in and around the Hampton Roads/Virginia Beach/Washington DC area in 1989/1990, called INVADER that played on Cinemax and HBO nearly weekly for a few years...and sold 32,000 units on VHS/Laserdisc (a LOT at that time)...We shot at Hampton Air Power Park, The State Military Reservation, Norfolk Airport...elsewhere. Good times.

I have about 16 hours of GREAT behind the scenes footage that I intend to whittle down and release as a documentary someday. Lots of us shooting interesting live-action stuff (quite a bit in the Hampton Roads area) and tons of effects (over 250) of every kind imaginable. Fire and explosions! Please Note that the DVD that's available was done without my input or approval and has been "updated" with computer animation (arbitrarily replacing a lot of fine miniature fx) to make it "more marketable today". You have been warned.

The old LaserDisc is your best bet (if you can find one). Don't you just LOVE "revisionist history"?

And now back to STEVE CANYON! (ahem).

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
John,
I knew you had done special effects on many movies including "Invader" but didn't know it was shot around Hampton, Norfolk/Virginia Beach areas. Thanks for pointing that out - just ordered a copy.
Any other Cold War suggestions? My interest lies more along the lines of apocalyptic type movies or those mushroom clouds
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Hope Vol 2 didn't take a toll on your health? Please let us know what is happening when you are ready.
Eric

John Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Ellis
All domestic orders for Vol 2 have been shipped as of yesterday May 15...there's still a few foreign orders that won't be able to be shipped until after the weekend, but we have essentially met our goal to get it released by today May 15th! Now I'm going to try & shake this virus that's knocked me on my duff...Let me know what you think about Vol 2, either here or email or on our blog comments, please!

Hope everyone that has ordered enjoys the new release and we thank you all for your interest and support!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
My set arrived today, John! That's super fast delivery to get from California to Florida.
Volume 2 is just as beautiful, if not more so, than Volume 1. Great dvd casing and wonderful artwork on the two discs in this second set. The audio and video is clean and crisp, just like the first volume.
John will probably be able to guess which episode I jumped to first in this set. "The Gift", which was the wonderful Christmas episode from this series. And can you imagine my surprise, while listening to the audio commentary from John Ellis and James Farmer, to hear my own name mentioned!! My kids and wife just looked over at me with pleasantly shocked expressions and we all just grinned from ear to ear. I do appreciate that, John, and want you to know just how much we appreciated that early Christmas gift last year. This episode will always hold a special place in our hearts thanks to your generosity and kindness. Oh, and the commentary track had plenty of great information, as I'm sure all of them do.
Anyone on the fence with this release need not hesitate. This is a top rate dvd set in all ways. And as with V. 1, an added bonus is the original commercials and sponsor spots found on these discs.
I highly recommend this set!!!
Gary "thanks again John - you're the best, my friend" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Way to go Gary
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
Now I have a famous Florida friend.
John, thanks for a TV/DVD set that is done right. I wish there were more studios & distributors that put as much care into the mfg of these classic series sets.

John Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Ellis
Thanks to everyone for the kind words! Hope everyone's enjoying vol 2.

And special thanks to you Gary for helping us out with your comments and evaluation of THE GIFT last year! It was a big help!

I'm starting to feel a little better, thanks to all who've asked...

More when I can think straight!

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
I received Volume 2 of Steve Canyon several weeks ago. Like Volume 1, it comes complete with network promos as well as commercials from 1958-1959. It is fascinating to see many future famous faces in guest starring roles. This show has a couple of writers in common with The Twilight Zone which is not a bad thing (Ray Bradbury and Charles Beaumont). The picture quality on Volume 2 is up to the same high standard as Volume 1. I cannot wait for the final volume to be released!

John Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Ellis
Thanks Timothy, glad you're enjoying it! I'm working on Volume 3 with renewed vigor...the documentaries and other extras are going to take some time, so don't expect it out until late this year...
Hey...I'm curious if any of you have read the Volume 2 review over at DVDTalk.com and what you think of it...
It's at: The Complete Steve Canyon on TV Volume 2 : DVD Talk Review of the DVD Video

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Just wanted to bring this thread back to the top to remind everyone who enjoyed the previous volumes... or if you haven't but enjoy top entertainment concerning anything Cold War era, jet airplanes, the Air Force secret projects, etc... to pick up a copy!
"Steve Canyon" Volume 3 is a bit delayed - was supposed to be out this month but a few personal financial setback and finalizing a few commentaries caused John to push the street date to March 2010. For someone who has taken this project on as an independent trying to accomplish what even some large DVD producers can't, is a feat in itself... completely restored TV shows from original elements complete in every way - including vintage commercials which too are restored on "pressed" DVDs and free shipping (on their web site).
You can help finish this project and inject some much needed money by purchasing either Volumes 1 or 2, the sampler DVD, all of them... or other merchandise located on the official website. You can't go wrong!!!
http://stevecanyondvd.blogspot.com/
Eric

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
John (Ellis)..

I know this is something that "may" have crossed your mind but since you have access to the entire Milton Candiff estate holdings with soooo many GREAT pristine photographs of all aspects - personal, production, still, advertising - I think it would make a wonderful companion book!

Eric

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Eric,

Thanks for bumping this thread. I have V1 but haven't bought V2 yet. I forgot about adding that one to Santa's list. I'll get that one early next year. I'm still viewing S1 and like it so far. Like you said, it sure brings back some early "baby boomer" memories for me. I was too young to see this on TV but they sure capture the era's culture in this show.

(I still can't believe that I'm the only one that posted seeing Larry Hagman in that "Oasis" cigarette commercial in an early S1 episode )

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I want to encourage people to help John Ellis and company out by purchasing the first 2 volumes if they haven't already. John has put an incredible amount of time and energy into these releases. They are truly a labor of love - and they are top notch to boot! I know they are committed to getting that last volume out, but they need our help.

Gary "thanks John for all you've done" O.

John Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Ellis
Hello all! Sorry to have been absent for awhile, just have been working on Volume 3 and basically trying to raise enough funds to keep it all going. I appreciate all the pre-orders on Vol 3 and everyone's support immensely. Purchases and any donations through our blog and any purchases from our amazon and ebay stores all helps so much. This last year it's just been like somebody flipped a switch and our ability to fund this ourselves just went away. We are a very small operation out of my home studio and I do almost all of the work involved myself.

On a cheerier note we have managed to get a couple of GREAT interviews recently and located a couple of missing pieces of film and better copies of a few things, so this is great! Check our blog for more info.

I have always planned a book about the series...I just can only do one thing at a time, as I am pretty much a one man band here. Once Volume 3 is out I will turn my attention to the book and ...other things.

Thanks Gary, Eric, Jeff, Doug, Flash, Willard and everyone else who have commented here and who support our labor of love with Steve Canyon. Be sure to join our Steve Canyon Facebook page for more more frequent posts and little updates...sometimes daily!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
John,

You're welcome! Classic TV/DVD releases such as the Steve Canyon show have become a rare treasure in the mkt. Glad to help support a truly stellar release as S.C.!

"Off we go....into the wild blue yonder" :)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
John,

Like Jeff said, I'm more than happy to help out with a pre-order and hope others will do the same. I know getting these volumes out is a labor of love on your part and I want to thank you so much for the terrific job you've been doing! I'm anxiously awaiting Volume 3.

Gary "these Steve Canyon dvds have been top notch" O.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Hey everyone... Volume 3 is ready for Pre-Order and promises to be just as good and even better than the last 2 volumes. There will be more extras and even the "original" pilot show with a recently discovered print that has a surprise intro! Go to the Steve Canyon official site and order yours TODAY!
ETA: March 2010
http://stevecanyondvd.blogspot.com/

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Thanks Eric. I got the email update concerning the new "extra" that will be a part of Volume 3 and I'm really excited about it. I pre-ordered a couple of weeks ago and encourage others to do the same.

Gary "can't wait for this third installment of Steve Canyon" O.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Milt Camen was also the creator of Terry and the Pirates. Any chance of that series being worked on next.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks