What's new

Star Wars Widescreen VHS at Sam Goody-Could It Be? (1 Viewer)

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
CostCo has a whole bunch of them alright, but only the Pan+Scan versions at my local store. I also checked 2 Best Buy locations and Suncoast video with no luck. I was also unable to locate them online at a reasonable price. I have the OT that I purchased back in middle school when I was unaware of the whole MAR practice. Tried watching them the other day and they are pretty much unwatchable due to the pan+scan. Please let me know if this Sam Goody thing works out.

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
Just checked the MoviesUnlimited website and they seem to have the original trilogy in widescreen. Has anybody here had good experiences shopping online from them?

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
The original version OT was last released on VHS in widescreen in 1995 or 1996. It has a black cover with Darth Vader on the right side ala "FACES" editons on laserdisc. The tapes are laid side by side on the box. Anything released after that is the Special editions. The cover of mine claims itself as "the last chance to own the original trilogy". The ones on Sam Goody are the 1997 Special Editions

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Geez ... I tried to SPECIAL ORDER these at Suncoast about 10 days ago (my current VHS WS set is just about chewed-up) and was told they've been out for several months! I ended up purchasing a "backup set" at Amazon for $70!
The DVDs will be out soon enough.
Ron: Do you really consider November 2006 "soon"?! :) I mean, it's "soon" compared to the 16 year gap we all had to endure between the OT and the PT, but unless you're on "Lucas time" it's going to be a long, hard, tough, wait for those DVDs!

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Y'all! I STILL own and RARELY watch (to preserve...) the widescreen THX OT, NON spec. edition that came out in a LONG, WIDE box set w/tapes side by side in Blk. w.Vader on cover from '95 I believe and on back in "printed" script, Lucas says "This is the LAST time you will be able to own the orig. editions, remastered, "blah, blah...."
and get this... THEN he says, "I hope you will be able to enjoy these films w/your family for YEARS to come..."
RIGHT! On degrading VHS tape with NO chance of a DVD version EVER!!!!
Thanx, George....
Go on and keep cranking out videogames disquised as films... (new trilogy...)
:frowning:

Tom J. Davis

Second Unit
:eek: You've never seen the OT. :eek:
I'll be anxiously awaiting your opinion on them. Seeing as how your experience will be the exact opposite as most of ours. You have gotten used to the PT without any bias from the OT. Fascinating.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Ron, before you go spend money on these, make sure that they are the widescreen versions. If you are talking about the Costco on MacArthur/Euclid, then all the OT VHS sets I have seen there are the pan 'n scan versions. If you are sure they are Widescreen, let me know, i've been looking for them as well.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Go on and keep cranking out videogames disguised as films... (new trilogy...)
The horror of it is, by the time we actually get these films on DVD, they may look the same as the Prequel Trilogy.

Not only has Lucas stated that we will never get the original 1977, 1980, and 1983 theatrical releases of these films on DVD, but it's not even certain at this time whether he'll even release the '97 SE versions of these movies to the format. (If you think Greedo shooting first was bad, just wait until you see Jar-Jar in ANH!)

SO ... we're gonna' be stuck with our VHS WS tapes and/or LD's for a long, long, time!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Ron: Do you really consider November 2006 "soon"?! I mean, it's "soon" compared to the 16 year gap we all had to endure between the OT and the PT, but unless you're on "Lucas time" it's going to be a long, hard, tough, wait for those DVDs!
When did DVD hit the market, 96' or so? Say it's been 6 years that we've had DVD now. We will get AotC by years end. So a max of 3-4 years for the OT on DVD and that is if Lucas does not get a wild hair and release the OT with in that time period. Who knows, people do change their minds.
For the few times I will watch the OT the next 3-4 years, I can watch them on VHS and still enjoy them. I do not want to drop $250+ on a LD player and these movies just to cover that short time frame when I have waited this long already.
Peace Out~:D

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Are we certain that this is the original trilogy? What's the "code" number (purchasing code number, whatever.)

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
DJ,

If I was to look for very early original "widescreen VHS releases of the unmodified OT", exactly what should I look for:

box cover color
box shape
box cover art
etc.

For instance, I've seen a wide flat black box containing three (3) widescreeen (letterbox) tapes, with a picture (Darth Vader?) about the size of one tape right in the middle of the black box.

I have some rare video sources I can explore, assuming I can come up with the not-so-small dollar amounts to buy these OT versions, but I don't know what to look for exactly.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Samuel: "OT" means Episodes IV through VI, the original trilogy, as opposed to Episodes I through III. It doesn't necessarily imply whether it is the SE or original versions.

DJ

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
For instance, I've seen a wide flat black box containing three (3) widescreeen (letterbox) tapes, with a picture (Darth Vader?) about the size of one tape right in the middle of the black box.
That's the last one that was done, which was in 1995 (at the time of the "faces" laserdiscs and the "faces" P&S VHS boxset). It looks like this and this. I'm uncertain if there were prior widescreen VHS releases in a box.
DJ

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
DJ,

No, that's not the cover I saw on the web at an obscure rare video site.

The flat wide black box only had a rectangular picture in the center 1/3 of the box with the right 1/3 and left 1/3 of the black box being all black. I could not make out the contents of the image in the center. Supposedly Lucas's signature appears on the back of the box. This set was widescreen and VERY expensive and very rare (according to the seller). I might be willing to come up with the $ if I knew for sure this was an unaltered original widescreen release matching what was first seen in the theaters. It seems to me that there must be a widescreen VHS release earlier than 1995? (When was the final OT episode, Episode VI, first released in the theaters anyway?)

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
DJ,

Sorry ...... here's little more info on the particular OT box set I was talking about above:

The description said it was a HOlOGRAM box set. What is this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks