What's new

Star Wars Widescreen VHS at Sam Goody-Could It Be? (1 Viewer)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
John, if it says Star Wars on it, and it's a video of any kind, then I probably own it. However, I didn't buy the P&S set. My mom gave it to me for my birthday. She doesn't know P&S from widescreen from cheese.

Chris Purvis

Stunt Coordinator
Hey - guys, some of you might want this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1541076318
I had one of these sets and it is definately the original theatrical release and definately widescreen. It's the one mentioned earlier which has the making of book included in it and an extra video ('from star wars to jedi' if memory serves).
Gave it to my mom when I got the definitive collection on LD... ;)

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Chris,

Then what did I buy in the 1992 dark navy blue flat Hologram box with the OT tapes laying flat in it side by side? (Haven't received it yet from the auction.)

I think what I bought is supposed to be from the same masters as the first US widescreen LD to be offered in the US in 1988.

I already have the 2000 WS OT THX set and was hoping the 1992 widescreen set I just picked is a near exact match to the theatrical release versions.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I already have the 2000 WS OT THX set and was hoping the 1992 widescreen set I just picked is a near exact match to the theatrical release versions.
Depending on whether or not the 1993 THX LD transfers (from which the 1995 VHS box set is derived) are superior to the 1989 LD transfers (from which your 1992 box set is derived), you may get imperfect results in terms of quality. In terms of content, however, it should match up with the original theatrical releases. Do note, however, that as per this thread, the soundtrack varied in different theatrical releases of A New Hope, and so video versions also vary.
DJ

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
Guys,
FYI, Barnes & Noble.com also has the widescreen special edition for $40.
Like some of you, I've about worn out my previous version of the OT in widescreen and I don't really want to lay down $300+ for a LD player and the LDs when the DVD release is a scant 3-4 years away.
So I decided to pick up the latest VHS widescreen release... it took some looking, but I found it at B&N.
Check this link for the Link Removed.
The picture that it shows on the site doesn't show the actual widescreen box art, which has "Widescreen" printed across it, but I assure you, this is the WS version.
I ordered it on Friday the 24th and received it on the 1st via standard ground shipping. :emoji_thumbsup:

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
DJ,

Sorry ........ you are correct ...... thanks again! I didn't look at Chris's link picture close enough. It sounds like I may have met my goal of a as close as possible to theatrical release WS VHS version.

Boy, I sure spent more than $39.95 for mine! Learn and live I guess.

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe so, but the two offensive words here are "Special" and "Edition".
What we're looking for here is:
Star Wars Boxed Set ORIGINAL Trilogy
THX
Widescreen
I ordered what I HOPE to be the right one, or it's going back.
Buy.com
The features say "Widescreen", and the box art looks like it says "THX" around the bottom, and there's no mention of "Special" or "Edition".
See shortly we will.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
The features say "Widescreen", and the box art looks like it says "THX" around the bottom, and there's no mention of "Special" or "Edition".
Seth: that's the 2000 VHS release of the Special Editions. There's no doubt about it. If you're somehow uncertain about, note that it includes a preview of Episode II, yet the last release of the non-SE trilogy was 1995, making such a feature impossible.
DJ

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Seth T,
Then should I consider "Limited Edition" as an offensive phrase regarding my newly acquired set? Please tell me no.:confused:

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Then should I consider "Limited Edition" as an offensive phrase regarding my newly acquired set? Please tell me no.
No. Your set is unique. There were only two VHS WS boxsets of the non-SE original trilogy, the 1992 set and the 1995 set. No other box set has the packaging or added-value features of the one you bought.

DJ

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
Damin, I was kinda hoping against hope. What was I thinking? Pffft.
Phil, I find the "Special Editions" offensive because...
GREEDO DID NOT SHOOT FIRST!!!!
:) :)

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Seth T,

The site where I bought mine at a take away price has another one just like it up for bidding at the same starting/take away pricing - if you want to go for it!

So....you can still join the GREEDO DID NOT SHOOT FIRST!!!! club. (I hope I got the GREEDO thing correct.)

Chris Purvis

Stunt Coordinator
mildly off topic here, but I heard that George was filming scenes of Natalie Portman for Return of the Jedi. The only thing I can imagine it would be is that she appears as a ghost at the end with Obi, Yoda and Anakin. So it sounds like the DVD's of the original trilogy will be Extra Special Special Editions...

If the rumor I heard is true, I would be really surprised if George doesn't add something new to each of the movies. Ugh...

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Chris, long time no see!
Surely you have a closet of OT boxed sets just waiting to be handed out, right?
::nudge nudge, wink wink::
;)
Seth
(ex Falcon-NW)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
the GREEDO DID NOT SHOOT FIRST!!!! club.
Does this one 5-second part of the great STAR WARS: ANH REALLY destroy the movie THAT much for the true SW purists?
While I agree that the original non-SE version is probably the best .... I still enjoy the SE as well. It's better than no edition at all, IMO!
(Just fast-forward past Greedo real fast and you'll be happier. :))

Chris Purvis

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Seth.

Sorry - There was a pile of about 20 shrink wrapped LD Definitive Collections priced at $20.00 each at one of the company store blowouts, but I only bought one. If I had any foresight (or if eBay was in existance then) I probably would have bought them all.

That was in 1996, I think - they are all long gone now... I left LEC in 2000 so I don't have any more connections anyway.

I heard you were sick recently or something - hope everything is better now!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks