Star Wars Widescreen VHS at Sam Goody-Could It Be?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew_Sch, May 30, 2002.

1. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

My one great shortcoming in life is the fact that I've never seen the OT. I was just looking around, and sam goody claims to have the OT in widescreen right about here:
    http://www.samgoody.com/cgi-bin/ncom...09&prodCode=03
    Is this too good to be true or what? Could it possibly be legit?

2. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

Yup. VHS widescreen. Seems legit to me.

3. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    That edition was released about a year-and-a-half ago, and is logically still in print. It is the special edition.

4. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

5. Andrew_Sch

Way cool.

Okay two questions:

First, is it worth forty bucks to get the OT in (near) OAR, even though it's still only VHS. Keep in mind, I thorougly enjoyed both entrants into the "new trilogy" so far.

Second, in the event that I decide not to keep these, how much could I get for them on ebay?

Oh yeah, one more factor to consider: There's no way I'll ever be able to get a laserdisc player, let alone the OT LD's.

6. Phil Nichols

Phil Nichols Second Unit

Andrew_Sch,

I believe this is the OT THX digitally remastered widescreen VHS set I have (bought in early 2001).

This VHS OT set views superb on my 58" 16X9 RPTV. My RPTV has a mode that keeps all geometry perfect but expands the image out to the sides and up in height leaving about 2" black bars on the top and bottom. The THX sound is rich with great dynamic range. Colors are deeply saturated and there is no video noise I can see in the images and no edge enhancement on vertical edges. Believe it or not, I enjoy the images this VHS set puts out AS MUCH AS the Episode 1 DVD images I've seen (which are loaded with edge enhancement)!

I consider this OT set as VHS reference quality that demonstrates VHS the best it can be.

7. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

8. Andrew_Sch

Phil, you just convinced me to plop down for this set, so you better be right.[​IMG]

9. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I was just a CostCo today and they had a floor display of'em. Best Buy also has them online. I bet they are instore also.
    I may have to pick up a set. My old set was the one that came in the canvas/cardboard collectors box which all the videos lay flat side to side.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

10. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I bought the SE box set from 2001 with the episode 2 featurette.. both star wars and empire were fine.. but return of the jedi was terrible.. really don;t know how to explain it.. the picture was not right.. throughout the film.. mostly with scenes with darth vader.. not standing straight.. more unnatural. I had the se with the silver box set.. those sets were awesome.

JACOB

11. Andrew_Sch

Ron, do you mean to tell me that BB has them in widescreen?

12. Phil Nichols

Phil Nichols Second Unit

Andrew,

You're right ....... there is something "funny" going on here. I just checked Amazon - my reference source to see what VHS titles exist - and their THX widescreen OT VHS set is $98.00!!!

Is this a craze from Episode 2 I just saw in the theater Monday? Wow - talk about milking us fans! I believe I bought my set from Amazon for $35-$40 in 2001.

My set covers have a lot of gold and black colors in them and they "look" like the current Amazon set.

P.S. I set up my RPTV very carefully to get this OT widescreen VHS set to look just right and I use a Sony R1000 VCR. You can't just "throw em' in the VCR and go" if you want to see them in all their glory, unlike DVD versions.

13. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

Locally, Movies Unlimited had the widescreen THX Special Editions for 40 bucks the last time I was there. They have a great mail order service, you could always try them if the other places are OOS or overpriced. The web address is:
    www.moviesunlimited.com

14. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Andrew, I held them in my hand at CostCo. The packaging at Costco was silver. As for BB, I just looked on their website and it shows the trilogy for $38, but they show it in black.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

15. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

Andrew, getting the OT in WS is definantly worth 40 bucks.

Best Buy doesn't have any in their stores, at least the 2 local ones by me. Actually they hardly have any VHS anymore, I did get lucky and got the Indiana Jones THX WS Box Set from them though.

The ones at amazon are just jacked up prices of private sellers trying to make more money from Episode 2. I got the OT like the one Ron has/had on ebay used for 45 bucks and never looked back.

16. Andrew_Sch

Ron, this isn't exactly the right place for this question, but exactly does one have to do to get these tapes to look right? I'm a little worried because we have a dinosaur VCR from the early 90's.

17. Phil Nichols

Phil Nichols Second Unit

Andrew,

I'm not Ron so I apologize for butting in here a bit. Here's some things I do with my HT to show the OT tapes video-wise as best I can:

- Watch VHS movies in a dark room
    - Set your Picture (black level) way low so the black bars about equal the blackness of the room
    - Set your Contrast (white level) NOT TOO HIGH but just high enough so "whites" appear natural - not grey and not shining out at you
    - Now look at skin color and set it using Color (saturation) and Tint (hue) so people's faces aren't red or too yellow and so colors aren't ridiculously bright like a clown suit (colors in real life are a little subdue'd, so you want your images this way). This is critical to getting all colors in all scenes deep and natural with just the right amount of red/blue/green drive going to your TV tube(s).
    - Set VCR sharpness way high or at maximum
    - Set TV sharpness way low or minimum
    - If your VCR is "old" and your TV is "new" use composite out of the VCR (I say this because Super VHS VCR's also have S-Video coming out)
    - If to your VCR is "new" and your TV is "old", try using S-Video out of the VCR instead (If you are using a Super VHS VCR and your TV has S-Video in)
    - Make sure your TV is FOCUSED mechanically (projection TV) and FOCUSED electrically (all TV's) dead-on as you can make it (this is critical)
    - Make sure your TV is converged dead-on as you can make it (this is critical)
    - Sit close enough so you DO NOT feel like you are "looking through a slit" with widescreen movies

I also use a "good" VCR and "high end" video cables, but ignore this and use what you have with the set up list above.

Good luck - VHS can surprize you if the tape is a superb transfer from a superb master. (......as the THX digitally remastered widescreen OT tapes are.......)

18. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Sold mine a couple of years ago on eBay -- looked like crap on my 80" wide 16x9 screen [​IMG] Sound was certainly decent -- as far as VHS sound is concerned, that is.

19. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Andrew, Phil summed it up best. Doing all that will really increase the viewing of VHS material. Also, clean your VCR heads.
    VHS on my 16:9 is very watch-able. That is why I see no need to invest in a LD player or these movies on LD. The DVDs will be out soon enough.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

20. Andrew_Sch

Thanks for all the help, just ordered the set from Sam Goody's. Should have it by mid-week. Screw studying for finals, I'll be watching the OT all weekend next week!!![​IMG]