What's new

Star Wars Widescreen VHS at Sam Goody-Could It Be? (1 Viewer)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
It seems to me that there must be a widescreen VHS release earlier than 1995?
It seems that there was. According to the Star Wars Home Video Timeline, there was a 1992 widescreen VHS box set (with transfers taken from the non-THX 1989 LD transfers). It included a book, a certificate, and a hologram cover. It looked like this. Since it was pre-SE, it contains the original cuts of the films.
DJ

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
DJ,

I just bought that set. When it arrives, should I watch it or store it in an environmentally controlled, earthquake proof, titanium safe?

Beau

Supporting Actor
I have a stupid question. When you say the "OT vesion" I know you're talking about the original version that ISN'T the 1997 special edition, but what does OT stand for?

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Probably it stands for "Original Trilogy", which I think refers to any video source version of Episodes 4/5/6 that exactly(?) match what was shown to theater audiences when they were first released.

Just a guess on my part.

Ernesto Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Whew!!!! I was thinking of giving my THX Widescreen Edition Collection (the black box version) away to my nephew. Thanks for the heads up, guys!

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Big, FLAT black box w/tapes side by side is the NON-SE original trilogy!!
95, I believe.
As I said, they are at my mom's and I NEVER watch them! A little preservation!!!
:) D

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Dave Mack,

You may want to check the site DJ shows above where all SW releases are listed.

There appears to be a big blue-colored flat side-by-side Hologram widescreen OT boxed VHS set from 1992. Supposedly non-SE and exactly what was shown in theaters.

I believe this is the set (boxes look the same) I just bought at the Amazon rare VHS auction site.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
That box set looks like the special editions. I just bought that box set recently, strictly as a collector's item. So if anyone was asking, those aren't the original theatrical cuts, but they're the special editions. The quality on these VHS tapes are exceptional for VHS. Just beware, that the box set Andrew showed looked like special editions of the originals. Still good in my opinion, aside from 5 changes.

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Terrell,

Do you mean the navy blue flat letterbox Hologram set?

The site above says it was made from the 1989 letterbox LD master and that this 1989 LD set was the first domestic letterbox version of the Trilogy.

If so, is it a fact then that Lucas was messing with letterbox Trilogy releases as early as 1989?

If so, what letterbox version of the OT exists that was all original - as seen in the theaters and un-tweaked by Lucas? VHS or LD set? What year was this VHS or LD set released then?

I figured the 1992 VHS set I just bought had minimum touch-ups by Lucas. I hope the quality is superb - like my 2000 set.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey! My set is DEFINITELY the ORIGINAL version! No CG, No "Greedo shoots 1st!" I have WATCHED them and this was BEFORE the SE's were in the theatres.
On the box, THX mastered... it states. "This is the LAST time the original versions will be available, Yada, Yada, Yada..."
There was a 92' release but it was not THX mastered!
:) D

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
There might have been a 92' release but were they WS? and THX mastered? I dont think both... I think the ltd. box version I have was the only version boxed this way...
The 1992 box set was released before there was any THX certification of VHS or laserdiscs. THX certification was introduced in 1995 and 1993, respectively. The 1992 box set was, however, definitely widescreen. Please read through the already-linked Star Wars Home Video Timeline for details.
DJ

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
The OT Widescreen THX VHS I have is sitting nicely in my closet. That's the fourth thing I'd take out of my apartment if it ever caught on fire.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
After I told my dad I'd ordered the tapes, he decided it was time for a new VCR. Actually he'd been meaning to replace our clunky old dinosaur for some time since him and my mom still tape the occasional TV show, so my ordering of the OT must have given him an extra little push. We ended up with a Tobisha (not sure of the model) to match our TV.

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I just came back from my quest. After reading this thread and finding out MY OT copies are P&S, today I went to two Fred Meyers, K-Mart, Target, CostCo, and Suncoast with no luck.

There was a pile at CostCo, but they didn't say Widescreen. However, someone had opened a package. So I took it and wandered over to the big screen display and popped one in and took a look.

"This movie has been formatted...."

DOH!

Back in the pile it went.

Going to take a stab at Critic's Choice.

Good luck to all!

-Seth

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, now I feel stupid. Went and ordered the set from Critic's Choice...then realized this morning I forgot to even look to see if it was Widescreen. Just called them, and it's NOT! Okidokie...cancelling that one as soon as I get the order confirmation number from them.

Just FYI...

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Phil, I have both VHS box sets, widescreen and P&S. But what I was referring to were the pics Andrew posted. This box set below, is the P&S set. My P&S set looks identical to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks