What's new

Star Wars discussion from The Bits... (2 Viewers)

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator
Speaking of The Black Hole, I was also thinking "if Star Wars looks as good as this", I would be happy. That was a ten dollar dvd released with no fanfare and I wonder what the source for a disc like that might be, and how much time and money it would take to create. Just for comparison.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

That why everyone reading this thread should voice their dissatisfaction to this e-mail address:

[email protected]

It will only help if your concerns are presented in a polite and constructive manner, but also be sure to let them know that you have no desire to purchase non-anamorphic DVDs that will be of inferior quality when ompared to practically every other disc released this year.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Ron, since your advisory came after my post, and mine looks to be the 'harshest' one so far, just let me say in it's defense, I'm not calling anyone names, or disparaging anything other than the product here and the effort being put forth for that product.

If HTF has any kind of charter or mission statment, surely you, the other mods, and Mr Harris have to agree that this kind of a release flies in the face of it and should be challenged as strenuously (though civilly) as possible.
If it isn't, and the non clued-in crowd actually buys this, then the wrong people have won and it sets a woeful precedant for the future.
this is 2006. minimum standards should apply to all producers of HT gear and software. and this release will clearly be below even those bare minimums.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I think Ron mentioned in the other thread that LucasFilm people are monitoring this discussion. It should be pretty clear to them from my comments that I won't be purchasing any widescreen material that isn't enhanced for widescreen TVs.

Is any company releasing widescreen material on non-anamorphic discs these days?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
For me, as a consumer, it comes down to this. I have limited funds to buy dvd's. I only buy ones that I really want, and are quality presentations. I had every intention, however, of re-buying the Star Wars Trilogy because of the original versions. But I can't spend money on a product that could look better, because I fear that it will be released again next year in a better version. I would like LucasFilms to reconsider their decision, and present the original versions in the best possible presentation. If they do, then I will buy.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Elijah,

I have just one simple question for you: do you have a widescreen high definition TV? Because if you do, I don't see how you could possibly be willing to accept a non-anamorphic DVD that will look like absolute garbage when you watch it on your display. All of this has nothing to do with ungrateful "fanboys" or any of the other Star Wars issues that have gone on in the past. It's about one simple thing........QUALITY. It's 2006 and at this point we have all been "spoiled" by pristine anamorphic DVD transfers, broadcast HDTV and now high definition films on disc. To release a DVD, any DVD, in this day and age that isn't anamorphically enhanced is an unacceptable practice by any studio, not just Lucasfilm. My sincere hope is that there is still time to get this changed, but as the clock keeps on ticking I'm not going to count on it.

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
The below is my email to Lucasfilm:

It is with great disappointment that I learned that the 2nd discs of your upcoming re-issue of the classic trilogy will only contain re-hashed 4:3 letterbox presentations last used on the laserdisc releases from the mid-1990s (which I already own). To issue DVDs at this stage of the format's lifespan and not make them enhanced for display on 16:9 high definition TV sets is unacceptable. Fox Home video stopped using recycled laserdisc transfers after their first batch of titles released on DVD in the late 90s, and they have been true to their work, delivering terrific product since then. I assume calling the inclusion of the unaltered versions & labeling them simply as "bonus material" is a way to side-step the giant step backward in quality that these non-anamorphic discs will represent.

I am by no means wealthy, but several years ago I made the long-term investment in two 16:9 HD Mitsubishi sets in my home (42" and 65"), and own nearly 1,000 titles on DVD. I vote with my wallet and do not reward studios who produce sub-standard product. At this point in the life of the DVD format, even small niche titles get DVD releases using the best possible elements and disc enhancement for 16:9 monitors is standard. My friends, accquaintances and co-workers frequently ask for my advice on titles and equipment and listen to my recommendations of quaility product to seek out and purchase. If you choose to procede with releasing the classic unaltered trilogy with non-enhanced 4:3 letterbox transfers, I will certainly encourage anyone within earshot to avoid them. The making-of featurettes and trailers were anamorpically enhanced on your previous Star Wars DVD releases, and the THX seal has always promised the best possible audio and video presentation, so to do less with this release is beneath the standard your company has always acheieved. These films are a proud part of American cinema history and deserve better.

Notice that I haven't even mentioned how much of a Star Wars fan I am. I am 37, married to an understanding wife, and have two of each figure released since 1995, plus playsets, comics--an attic full of items. Admittedly, I did sell of my childhood collection of 1978-1985 items when the Special Editions were released thearically, and its appreciation in value made for the downpayment on our home. However, I was also a film major in college, and I am upset any time a film is given a shoddy home video release. This particular release just stings a bit more. I would happily purchase these upcoming releases if the material was receiving the best treatment and presentation the DVD format can offer. But this seems a quick & dirty way to grab some 4th quarter sales with little effort on the company's part to produce a quality product. As it stands now, I will not be buying, and I will encourage anyone else who will listen to avoid this product as well...

I sincerely hope that your company puts more effort and releases the unaltered trilogy with high-quality transfers and anamorphically enhanced DVDs. To treat them no better than a 4:3 video-based EPK would be shameful. If it means spending a bit more money to do it right or delaying the releases by a few weeks, I think a wealthy, resourceful company like Lucasfilm can manage it. And the fans will certainly appreciate your efforts.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One fact which I don't believe has yet been discussed is that release dates, packaging and content can change.

There is no reason why this release cannot hit the streets 60 - 90 days later, and become a very important, and well-received Christmas item. With quality intact, this could be the home video Christmas gift of 2006.

And THAT can be accomplished. Its simply a matter of doing it.

RAH

Patrick H.

Second Unit
What happened in the first thread was unfortunate, particularly for those who wanted to further a serious discussion of this matter. I am pleased that discussion can now continue with Mr. Harris' calm and invaluable input. I agree 100% with the insight and informed opinions that he and Bill Hunt have offered over at The Bits. I think everyone should definitely read what they have to say there before jumping in here.

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
I'm glad that we have Lucasfilm's attention.

Personally, I would be happy with just an anamorphic transfer. I'm not asking them to go and do a full-blown restoration like they did with the 2004 release. I think it's a shame that they are releasing this in 4:3 letterbox. Lucasfilm is knowsn for their THX, excellent quality DVD releases. In a time when most bonus featurettes are presented in anamorphic widescreen, I see no reason why this "extra" can't receive the same treatment.

It's not too late, so please release the original version anamorphic.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Mr. Harris, if Lucas has separation masters from 1977 for Star Wars would it be possible to do an "Ultra Resolution" style transfer?

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

I would agree, were it not for the fact that Lucasfilm is hyping up the original trilogy as though it were the "main event". The announcement on the official site is all about the unaltered OT, they're selling "Han Shot First" tshirts, etc. And the retailer advertising material we've been shown emphasizes this releases sales potential because of the inclusion of the original cuts of the films.

They released the SEs in 2004, and now they're offering them again, without the bonus disc. The only real selling point for this release is the original cuts, and they know it. They can excuse the non-anamorphic release by calling them "bonus material", but their marketing sure seems to consider them the key component of the release.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member

That's what I've been hoping for, that enough fans would call or email (the contact numbers are pretty widely available if you look, and the email is in this thread) and that the set would eventually be PUSHED BACK. Sure, it'd ruin the "synergy tie-in" that would happen as the set is supposed to make for a Star Wars Tuesday that sees a new video game release as well as some other stuff, but hell--push the game back too in that instance. It'll still fly off the shelves, and I guarantee more sets WILL be sold if we know that it got pushed back so some REAL WORK could be done rather than dusting off a D1 and splicing in an original crawl.

Hell, Lucasfilm marketing is slick enough to spin it to even make the Pushback a selling point: "We heard you. We want to do it right, and so you might have to wait a little bit, but the guys who restored LAWRENCE OF ARABIA are working on this thing now. It'll be a little longer, but it will be worth your 20, trust me. (wink)"

A Pushback isn't retail death by any means, and I'm pretty sure would be welcomed at this point. At Minimum Advertised Price of 60 a pop for the whole trilogy (90 bucks at Suggested Retail) I'm pretty sure the restoration expenditure would easily be recouped. Maybe the profit on the DVD's would take a small hit to what they were expecting to make with the relatively lower cost of a D1 Laserdisc Port, but I don't think it'd be enough to offset the effort and make it a wash. Lucasfilm would still come out winners rather easily.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

Robert, I don't think they can change, because as has been said before, I don't think this release is about the movies at all (and certinaly not about the original versions).
The reason for this release is to cross promote the concurrently released Xbox Lego game, and some more toys which will also be released concurrently.
This is apparent from the other 'bonuses' on the discs as well as being made mention of in the retailer advert.

This is a strategic release, just like the hasty SE release from 2004.

maybe you are right, and 60-90 days wouldn't be too much of a cross promotion stretch, but I feel confident I know, from plenty of past experience, where LFLs priorities lie.

_______

eh, Robert beat me to it- though he is,endearingly, more positive and upbeat than I am about the prospects here.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I thought Ultra Resolution only worked with 3-strip?

He does allegedly have die-transfer elements of all three films.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
From all i have seen on my LDs, and even DVDs it SEEMS they save everything ever made, even unused props. So why would they not save every scrap of film, and keep it in the best possible condition? I have the Definitive LD boxset and on it many of the previews for the movies seem like VIDEO TAPE, and not even first generation. Just strange that they keep a rubber Yoda that WILL rot, but not FILM.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm not someone who ever ranted and complained that the original versions must be released, or said silly things like the special editions ruined their childhood, etc. I gladly bought the 2004 DVDs, and I enjoyed them. And you know what? I said to friends of mine who wouldn't buy them, "Trust me, these are the films you remember."

However, I always felt that the original films should have been released alongside the special editions, and I said so at the time. I still think so, and I was very pleased that the original versions were coming to DVD. I mean, I can't afford the actual original film prints and projectors and cooled vaults, so having these on DVD is as close to film preservation as I get.

The Star Wars films have always set the standard. In the theaters, it was special effects, sound. On video, it was state-of-the-art in various technical aspects. Heck, check out the thread on the Revenge of the Sith DVD -- many people consider that to be reference quality! So I can't understand why the 1977-1983 films won't be released in anamorphic standard.

I will very likely still buy them, because I never bought the laserdiscs, but it sure will be a disappointment not to have them at the standard we've come to expect of all DVDs, let alone a Lucasfilm DVD, which is usually above and beyond the standard.

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
Just to add my voice since this thread has the attention of Lucasfilm, I echo without reservation the following as posted by Aaron Silverman above:

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
My comment is this:

Out of curiosity I re-read the press release from the official SW site...
"Over the years, a truly countless number of fans have told us that they would love to see and own the original version that they remember experiencing in theaters," said Jim Ward, President of LucasArts and Senior Vice President of Lucasfilm Ltd. "We returned to the Lucasfilm Archives to search exhaustively for source material that could be presented on DVD. This is something that we're very excited to be able to give to fans in response to their continuing enthusiasm for Star Wars. Topping it off with a new interactive adventure makes September 12 a red-letter day for Star Wars fans."

So was this search unsuccessful? By the wording of the press release it seems that the search was meant to find the best possible elements to make these films look as good as they could without an expensive and time consuming restoration. If these are simply the same transfers that existed in 1992-3, then Lucasfilm should simply be up front about the quality we can expect. Otherwise people will think that these releases will look noticeably inferior to the SE versions on purpose.

I love Star Wars and it would be nice to have decent copies of BOTH versions. I personally like many of the changes done to the OT, but I would like to watch the originals in as good quality as is possible.

Thanks. Dave mack

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I was under the impression that the separation elements are three strip Technicolor. If that is the case, imagine how wonderful this could look! If not, I apologize.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks