What's new

Mary Tyler Moore on DVD (1 Viewer)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I always liked THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW back when it aired. I think I saw every episode first-run. I even remember kind-of not warming up to it for a number of those early episodes. It was difficult to separate Mary from her old familiar role in THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW and to accept all of these new characters surrounding her. Initially, Valerie Harper and Cloris Leachman both came off as somewhat unlikeable, but once the characters started to gel, I could tell that the series was something special.

I've been grossly out of touch when it comes to the subject of MARY TYLER MOORE on DVD. My recollections are that the first season cane out, was maybe expensive, and sold poorly (?). And then it took a long time to get the rest of the seasons out to the public (?).

During most of this time, I got some news about the series on the periphery of this site and others, but it was never a priority for me. When there was just one season, it wasn't a priority. I had too many other series that needed my attention first - things like THE FUGITIVE and its travails, STAR TREK, which was always coming out with something or other, M*A*S*H, MANNIX, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE, etc. I count THE BOB NEWHART SHOW in with these. Even IT took a bit of a back seat and I was disappointed in the stalling after season 4, so I was never hopeful about MARY.

So here we are in 2019 and I found myself looking for a sitcom to fill our before-bedtime watching. We've been through M*A*S*H and HOME IMPROVEMENT and THE BOB NEWHART SHOW so many times that we know the dialog and even the intonations of the dialog before the actors can even utter them. So I thought about MARY TYLER MOORE.

I remember when she passed away within the last few years, that I checked the prices for the series then, and people were just gouging on the sentimentality people have for an actor or actress who passes, so I put it on the "someday" list.

About a week ago, I looked on Amazon and eBay and found some pretty enticing prices and some confusing options. I see that there exists a "complete series" set and that there were bundles of individual season sets available. I opted for a bundle of individual seasons, as they are easy to deal rather than bulky sets. I was astounded by the price - it was only $36.75 delivered to my door. That's only a few dollars more than I used to pay for one season of MANNIX when they were new.

$36.75 for the whole shebang comes out to $5,25 per season, $1.75 per disc, and $0.22 for an episode. I know that with the passage of time, these things usually come down in price, but I think I was pretty fortunate to get the full series for such a good deal.

What I'm asking here, is if those in the know can tell me some of the war stories about the releases, the waits, whatever is missing in the way of music or scenes missing, errors in manufacturing, whether the complete series set is any better than the individual season releases, that kind of thing.

Or just use this thread as perhaps an updated, all-purpose discussion of the great MARY TYLER MOORE show. Thanks in advance for any answers and discussions.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The one dual sided disc in season 2 is now single discs in the complete set, IIRC.

S1E10 (the Christmas episode) is missing footage because of a song.

Otherwise, the price is the only major difference between the single sets and the repackaging.

This complete series set was originally due out in 2010, when season 4 was as far as the series had gotten. But a massive amount of whining and complaining from people who couldn't comprehend that the price of the complete set would cost about as much as seasons 5-7 singly made Fox cancel the complete set and keep us waiting another year or two while they finished the series out in single sets. After that, it took until just last year for them to finally release a complete series package.

Oh, and if you dig Dramas, I'd recommend Lou Grant after finishing MTM.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Is "Lou Grant" the only drama series that was a spin-off of a comedy series?

Did any drama series ever spin-off a comedy series?

Inquiring minds want to know! Heh!

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Ironically, I completed the LOU GRANT series the moment that S5 was released. That was another series I really liked.

I always knew that someday, if it was available, I'd get MARY TYLER MOORE. I guess I was lucky that I waited as long as I did and didn't have to go through what some of you guys did.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
After that, it took until just last year for them to finally release a complete series package.

I just picked that up at the end of the year and have been working my way through it - first time seeing the show. I think I’m in the middle of the third season.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I just picked that up at the end of the year and have been working my way through it - first time seeing the show. I think I’m in the middle of the third season.

I've started the fourth one; I've just got that one, the fifth one, and the seventh and final one to go for completion of the series for me.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ironically, I completed the LOU GRANT series the moment that S5 was released. That was another series I really liked.

I always knew that someday, if it was available, I'd get MARY TYLER MOORE. I guess I was lucky that I waited as long as I did and didn't have to go through what some of you guys did.

Thank Oprah for the series even making it to completion when it did.

She did one of her shows about The MTM show, gave away copies of the then-released sets, and basically caused enough of a stir to get Fox off their asses and back to finishing the series.

Now, granted, if they hadn't, odds are Shout would've done it between 2012 and 2018. They did Rhoda, They did Lou. But Oprah is why it only took 8 years for a 7 season show to make it to DVD instead of 10 or 12 years.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
One of my all-time favorite shows! I agree with your assessment of Season 1. Rhoda and Phyllis weren't the most likable sidekicks to begin with. The episode where Mary is taking care of Beth I find incredibly irritating. But towards the end of the first seasons much of it just comes together perfectly and it soars! One of my favorites is "Some Of My Best Friends Are Rhoda" which was reworked as an episode of Golden Girls. And it's still has one of the best series finales.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The seven years of The Mary Tyler Moore Show are filled with classic episodes, but I always looked forward every year to the Teddy Awards show near the end of the season. There was always something unusual and hilarious going on during the proceedings.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
This is another I watched during the original airings and had not seen again until I picked up the DVDs. I wasn't sure if I'd still like it so waited until Foxconnect (sadly no longer in operation) put the sets on sale (I paid $6/season). Since the purchase (years ago) I've watched the first 3 seasons and, while really enjoying revisiting the series, am finding I'm annoyed by the same things that annoyed me during that original airing. Essentially Rhoda and Phyllis. I always found them somewhat grating. I like the show better when it sticks with episodes about work rather than about home life. The work group was a great ensemble.

Am I the only person who's wondered what happens to her cap after she tosses it into the air?

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
No, but I always wanted to see a shot of Bob Newhart tossing HIS hat in the air in Chicago. You just know that someone had to have filmed such an event as a gag!

That would of been a great bit of comedy gold if he had done on the show and then Emily tells him "What are you doing Bob?" or better yet filmed a Bob's version of TMTMS for the wrap party gag reel.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
The one thing I recall is that the original release of season 7 was missing the cast curtain call at the very end (last ep of series), it had regular closing credits as per the syndication prints. Fox released a fixed disc with the curtain call, but you had to call customer service to have them send it to you. I am sure the sets were fixed at some point, but be sure you have the correct final series episode with the curtain call. IIRC it hadn't been seen since it originally aired. It is a short segment, but historic and touching.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
One of my favorites is "Some Of My Best Friends Are Rhoda" which was reworked as an episode of Golden Girls.

And just as Newhart's Mary Frann was the guest star in the original who turns out not to be what she seems, the reworked Golden Girls version, essentially the Disney version and actually set in the South instead of the Midwest, had an MTM Productions connection: St. Elsewhere's Bonnie Bartlett was the one in that position. But Golden Girls wasn't the only show to reuse that plotline. The pilot for Family Ties was basically that, as was an episode of Designing Women.

And guess who now owns the MTM library! Thank goodness they got as much out on DVD as they could before the Fox-Disney sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks