What's new

Star Wars discussion from The Bits... (1 Viewer)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

I cannot imagine watching the complete Star Wars saga in this order, particularly for first-time viewers. Virtually every important moment in the original trilogy would be ruined by watching the prequels first. Yoda's reveal in Empire would be spoiled. The climactic twist in Empire would be spoiled. That Luke and Leia are siblings would be spoiled.

Despite bearing episode numbers that suggest a particular viewing order, I think it is obvious from the dramatic structure of the films that the classic trilogy is meant to be viewed without some of the knowledge revealed in the prequels (as it originally was by audiences in the '70s and '80s), and that the prequel trilogy is meant to be viewed with some of the knowledge revealed in the classics.

Nevertheless, it should be interesting to learn what your mother-in-law thinks of the saga after viewing it in this fashion. Be sure to report back!

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
I did the STAR WARS marathon with a complete newb to the saga a while back, we watched one a week for six weeks, in the 1 to 6 order.

Whilst you may think that some of the small twists would be ruined, i.e. knowing what Yoda looks like, knowing that Darth Vader is Lukes Fathers etc. these twists are in fact changed, so she was like "OMG! There's Yoda!" and when Vader did his "I am your Father" bit she was shocked that he told him, so these twists still work just in a different way than what we're used to.

Also, another great thing about the 1 to 6 order is the NEW twists and turns, for example the complete shock she experienced when Anakin turned to the darkside, but the real big shocker is when Palpatine is revealed as being Sidious, that really freaked her out, and it seemed to shock her much more than I remember being shocked at "I am you Father". Another neat thing about the 1 to 6 order is that the ending of ROTJ is that much more emotional... Watching the saga with a newb to the films was like watching it with fresh eyes, an amazing expeirence.

Anyway, she's a big STAR WARS fan now, and we have annual STAR WARS fests together, where we watch 1 to 6 in a single day, it's a superb experience. Highly recommended :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I follow your logic but just to play devil's advocate, I think there's a case to be made for watching the saga either way.

I don't think Yoda's reveal is that big of a surprise. In the sense that I don't think anyone ever had a reaction of "OH MY GOD! THAT'S YODA?!!!!" when he reveals it in Empire. The scene is about that Yoda is not what Luke thinks, that he's clever and was testing Luke and not about the reveal that he is Yoda.

Darth Vader's surprise in Empire is definitely destroyed but I think that Anakin turning bad is a pretty big twist too. We've seen Anakin as a nice little kid and an awkward teenager in love and his turning bad is a big turn.

And I find Luke and Leia being revealed as sibilings to be the most anti-climactic reveal in the entire Star Wars saga. "Leia. Leia's my sister" Next scene. It's more interesting to me to know that they are related and wait for when it's going to be revealed as opposed to two scenes of when Luke finds out and then tells Leia (who seems somewhat uninterested).

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

And actually now when you get to Empire, you'll think Yoda went nuts only then to reveal it was a test. So there would still be a shock when we first see him from the wise, calm Yoda in Revenge of the Sith to the crazy, out of his mind Yoda in Empire.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Yoda's reveal was a big surprise back in 1980. His appearance had not leaked out to the media. (An impossibility today!) On opening weekend, I didn't suspect this odd little creature of being a Jedi until he dropped the crazy act. :)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I just HD from direct tv.. I see that they will be playing star wars in HD next month.. do they show the movies with the letterbox format or do they convert to 1.85?

Jacob

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

I'm not sure that was truly the case. I saw Empire on opening weekend and fully knew who Yoda was and what he looked like. Didn't the 'Empire Strikes Back Storybook' come out before the film? That had pictures of Yoda in it.

And for that matter, I knew the 'No. I am your Father' twist before the came out too. I couldn't resist the novels.

The only thing that amazes me is that you can still find anyone who hasn't seen Star Wars. :D

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Depends which comic adaptation you have. The novel-size adaptation had him as purple, but the magazine and regular SW comic issues coloured him green.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Yeah, one edition of the Marvel comic was out and the storybook was too. Some of us didn't have a local comic shop back then, and had to wait for a drugstore employee to restock the spinning rack! I made a conscious decision not to peek at the storybook. ;)
Unlike today, nobody could scan a photo of Yoda and have it plastered all over message boards within minutes. Or spoil the plot!
Marvel's deadline was so tight they used pre-production art of Yoda, not having any stills of him to base their art on.
http://img442.imageshack.us/my.php?i...can0007fk9.jpg
He was redrawn as the movie version for later printings.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I have a friend who's 29. She's never seen any Star Wars film. She's never seen any LOTR flicks. She'd not seen any of the Spider-Man movies until I dragged her to Spidey 3. She's never seen any of the Indiana Jones films. She's not opposed to these kinds of flicks - she just never saw them somehow.

But she's seen License to Drive, Dream a Little Dream and Weekend at Bernie's literally about 100 times each... :rolleyes

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I remember getting some trading cards from empire before the release of the movie.. they had a trading card of yoda.

Jacob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks