Star Wars discussion from The Bits...

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Do you really think the SW fanbase that was able to hold and not buy those DVDs was that significant of a number? These could have been perfect anamorphic versions of the OOT and they would have only sold slightly better. IF Lucasfilm was actually dissapointed with the sales, the small bump in sales with anamorphic versions of the OOT wouldn't have made much of a difference in sales. The reason it didn't sell to LFL's expectations is because average person has Star Wars and aren't going to buy them again and again.

Dave, that book is great. You'll love it.

Lee-c

Second Unit
I disagree. The average person who watches some movies at home may be so ill informed (not to mention unconcerned about any differences that exist between the SE and non-SE versions, even if they are vaguely aware of them) that they think they have Star Wars already (as though only one version exists), and thus have no need to ever buy it again. But the more serious fans, of whom there are a very large number when it comes to Star Wars, are very well aware of the differences between the original versions and the SE versions. And many of them intensely dislike either all or at least some of the changes made in the 1997 SE and even more SE 2004 set.

These many Star Wars fans very much want to own the original unaltered Star Wars trilogy on DVD, but a good chunk of them were so repulsed by the incredibly unreasonable treatment they and the trilogy were getting from Lucas in the 2006 DVD set that they simply refused to buy it. Especially since many of them already have the Definitive Collection laserdisk set, which is more or less the same quality as this 2006 DVD set. So why should they go out and buy what they already have? Particularly when the 2006 release was so insulting in it's relative, and, even more importantly, *deliberate*, lack of quality compared to what any modern DVD movie release is expected to look like.

When a new high-quality anamorphic transfer of the unaltered original trilogy from the fully restored Star Wars master film prints is done, there will be a large line of Star Wars fans ready and waiting to buy it.

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator
They'd make plenty of money on a new transfer. Even if there was only a small bump in sales, studios have done new transfers for much less. (High Plains Drifter and 48 hrs.just got them for those bargain multi-packs, I think the original trilogy could compete sales-wise with that.) It's just Lucas' weirdness keeping them away.

Bill GrandPre

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
I personally find it hard to believe that the first year since 2000 that LucasFilm is going to pass on having a high-profile holiday DVD release lands on the 30th Anniversary of "Star Wars", an event otherwise commemorated in pretty much every other avenue of merchandising.

Of course LucasFilm reps like Steve Sansweet are denying that a 30th Anniversary box set is in the works. You think they're gonna let the cat out of the bag when they can make a high-profile announcement on the actual anniversary (May 25) which happens to occur during Celebration IV? A late-May announcement would also "align" with a holiday release too.

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member

Somehow a "Young Indy" DVD doesn't sound like a celebration of the 30th anniversary of "Star Wars". I'm with Bill - given Lucas's tendencies, I find it hard to imagine there won't be some "Star Wars" DVD release this fall. Makes no sense not to do that...

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
If you look on the internet, it seems like everyone wants an anamorphic OOT but in the real world, that number is not very significant. It's just like Snakes On A Plane and Grindhouse's popularity or how everyone hated Spider-Man 3, it may seem like a big deal online but those people are a meaningless number in the real world.

Dave Mack

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Thanks,Travis.

I plan to TOTALLY geek out with the book when it comes. THAT will be my 30th anniversary celebration!

Just "Star Wars". No Episode IV etc...
I've read that many who are old enough (like me) to see it that magical summer of '77, feel instant time travel back while reading this book. I could use a little of that...

Bill GrandPre

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member

I believe Rick McCallum has said that the Young Indy releases will be released closer to Indy 4.

In any case, there are a lot of die-hard Indy fans that will buy them but at the end of the day they aren't "high profile" in the way actual Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies are. If anything the Young Indy DVD's will be more along the lines of other "second-tier" LucasFilm releases like Clone Wars and the other various Star Wars spin-off DVD's.

Sam Favate

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Actually, I think TVShowsonDVD has reported that the first set of Young Indy is planned for the fourth quarter of 2007.

Seems odd to me that a 30th anniversary release would not be planned for Star Wars, especially since there is a year-long promotion going on with other Star Wars merchandise.

Dave Mack

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Well, I've decided to watch all VI films to celebrate as well.
Got through just over 1/2 of TPM last nite. Figured I'd get it out of the way first but oof... Wish I could've been in the editing suite with Georgie...

"so that's where Jar Jar should step in poo..."
"that's where the creature in front of Jar Jar farts..."
"that's where Jar Jar gets his tongue caught in the beam..."

"ummm, George? I love ya but... no."

Carter of Mars

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Carter
Ben Burtt showed part of an original 35 mm Dolby A reel 1 tonight at the Samuel Goldwyn Theater. It had the original crawl.

Carter of Mars

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Carter
Only the clip of Star Wars shown in 70mm. And the panel discussion. And the breathing regulator used to create the sound of Darth Vader. Pretty much the whole evening was fascinating.

Joseph Bolus

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member

We're going to be viewing the movies again over the weekend as well.

But we now view the Saga in the order first suggested by a member here:
Episode IV - For the introduction to the "Jedi mythos" by Obi-Wan. This is totally missing from Episode I.
Episode V - The *Big Reveal* : "I am your father!"
Then, we view the PT in order to understand how that statement can be true:
Episodes I - II - III as a "flashback". (Think "Pulp Fiction"!)
Then we wrap the Saga up with "Jedi" - which now *really resonates* after having just viewed ROTS.

However you view it, it's still quite an epic story!

SilverWook

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Wow, did Ben Burtt grab those reels on his last day at Lucasfilm? I thought one needed a note signed by George to even show clips of the orginal movie!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryMeyer