What's new

Star Trek in HD - with revised special effects? (1 Viewer)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I might catch the episodes when they air. Help me decide if I'll pick up the DVD sets when/if they come out. So far I don't have any Star Trek series, just the movies. Stayed away because there was just so many boxes to buy, if I were going to be all in.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
So they say this will be syndicated starting sept 16th, any info as to where? seems to me they should air this on CBS itself

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Star Trek.com has a little more detailed information about ths news. Interesting that it seems CBS is behind this to celebrate the 40th Anniversary

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

The only place TOS is currently airing is G4, in both a severely mutilated form where image is reduced to a small square in the middle of the screen and surrounded by meaningless stock tickers, trivia, and online chat, and in weekend marathons of uncut episodes. Who knows if G4 will have the rights to this new travesty.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'm not gonna like this. I would like a glance at the changes they've done with the alien planets and stuff but just curiosity. I'll stick with the old classic version. Its my #1 favorite TV show and there are many reasons for this, #1 prob nostalgia. Anyway, I don't really care that they are doing it since I have the ones I want. I'll watch what they air just to see.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Now, is this a joke? I only have an outdoor antenna with no G4. Actually, Tech TV getting deep throated by G4 was one reason I no longer pay $50 a month for that dish. So I guess it's appropriate G4 run that thing.

But...I AM curious how it's going to look. But I know I'll hate it.

JackKay

Second Unit
Just read about this, this morning. I will wait and see before passing judgement, but I would also like the show in it's original form on a HD as well. One could say Gene R. did mess with it with the first Movie. Would he do this to it now if he were still alive? I think he would.

Whats next? New episodes with CGI of the old crew?

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

Syndicated by CBS. Syndication is handled by local affiliates, so I suppose some CBS stations might air it, but if it shows on CBS as a part of network dictated programming, it's not syndication.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I wondered if Michael Okuda had consulted with Majel and Rod Roddenberry for their input as to what Gene might have done.

John H Ross

Screenwriter

Indeed. One must always bring genius (original Trek) down to the level of mediocrity (Voyager and Enterprise). Bravo!

I just read the feature over at TV Guide. It includes the usual "Our goal is to always ask ourselves: What would Roddenberry have done with today's technology?" bollocks. Does anybody actually believe this sh*t? Do people not realise that with restrictions comes creativity. Look at Spectre Of The Gun for example (well, those that can be bothered looking at it that is). If Roddenberry etc were making this today they'd have built a nice, complete Western town. But NOT having the resources, and building just the fronts of the buildings was a stroke of genius because it suggested the Melkor knew the facade of what a Western town was like, but didn't know the depth or the detail.

And let's not forget the skimpy female outfits! The reason they were skimpy? Because the wardrobe department didn't have enough money or material to create complete costumes! Now imagine original Trek without those outfits...!!

And they're gonna put CGI people in there too... and clouds... and they're re-recording the theme music for Christsakes! You know.. somebody pinch me... is it April 1st already?

JR

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
Redoing the special effects really pees my Wheaties, but the more I think about it, rerecording the theme is far more offensive. The FX stuff can at least be justified as "upgrading" the show, but the theme music is perfect. Who cares if it's not in stereo?

Maybe they should hire Moby to remix it and have Gwen Stefani sing Roddenberry's lyrics while they're at it.

I can sort of see why they're starting with Balance of Terror, since it's one of the few episodes to feature a drawn-out space battle, giving them a chance to show-case their new work. But it also holds the potential to show why this is a bad idea. The low-FX budget of the series forced the writers to make BoT about submarines in space -- lots of tense footage inside the ships, but neither side could see each other so there was no need to show the Enterpise or war-bird except when they fire their weapons. If the new FX team decides to spruce it up with more dynamic battle shots, they'll ruin the feel of the episode. All-in-all BoT is a great test for how big a CF this will be.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Indeed it does. It looks suspiciously like a U.S. Postal Service stamp in this shot. The Trek movies went in the right direction when the production crew correctly surmised that in space there are sharp and distinct shadows cast on objects in the absence of a planetary atmosphere. This is what we see in 2001, Star Wars and so on. And now...this. Pitiful.

Bryan Krantz

Stunt Coordinator
I have seen advertisements that TOS is coming to TVLand. TVLand is owned by viacom, which I believe is CBS parent company and the TVLAnd ads are touting a special announcement for Trek's 40th anniversary. So, I would suspect that this will be one outlet for a true "Trek 2.0"

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

It still looks like the plastic model, but that proves their intention is to stay true to the look of the old show.

If they had added millions of rivets and metal textures and other details, including realistic shadows, to match Enterprise and Next Generation, it may have looked better - but the decision to keep the look of the old show makes sense.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I think the top one looks more realistic, but my suspicion is that the top one is a "beauty shot" to show off the ship, as opposed to how it will look in motion. This image has that diffused, soft glow around the highlights that one would expect from a beauty shot.

I'll say this - the top one looks more like a painting, the bottom looks more like a small model.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks