What's new

Star Trek in HD - with revised special effects? (1 Viewer)

Kev_S

Grip
Real Name
Kevin Shinner

I think its you that needs to re-read this thread.

I was just using that as an extreme example of how TV shows can be improved/altered to make them better. These new changes for a HD format are in MY OPINION a good thing for fans. I'm sorry if my opinion dosn't agree with your own but there is no need to be rude.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

If you like the idea of revising Star Trek TOS with CGI SFX, that's fine. Just don't make up bogus comparisions to "support" your opinion, and you won't have to worry about me (or anyone else) being rude.

Kev_S

Grip
Real Name
Kevin Shinner
Hardly bogus just not as extreme (as i've mentioned on several posts now). Twin Peaks had colours altered did it not to make the trasfer look better? I'm sure other shows have done similar e.g those that have added colour etc. The Star Wars movies of course had their effects re-done and I'm sure joe public would rather the new editions over the older ones (i'm not saying everyone would).

My points to support my opinion wern't "bogus" at all. To re-cap:

> Less of a believability gap, making the show more realistic.
> Better picture.
> Bringing in a new audience.
> Old DVD versions still readily available for those that want the preserved version.
> Bringing TOS more into line with the rest of the franchise.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I have never watched a complete episode of TOS. Largely due to the idea that the 60's style was what the 24th century stuff evolved from. That, and I never grasped the legendary status of those characters.
I did see the films, though, which were more in line technologically.

I'd be shallow enough to say that if this did happen and I could watch them, I would.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

I didn't say these points were bogus (though I disagree with all of them), just the one you tried to make about transferring the show to DVD vs. leaving it on tape.

You're a revisionist. There's no use arguing with someone like you. You'd probably paint a bikini on the Mona Lisa to make her look "more modern" if you could.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Got to get some levity back on this thread!

Just saw a great line on a Trekweb discussion on this topic. One person wrote: "Kirk shoots first!"

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co

I dont' see any reason they should. There is already box sets of the original versions of all the episodes. So there would be no need to include them on any Special Edition re-releases.

Katherine_K

Second Unit

God, what I don't miss about trek fandom was the rumor mill. I am assuming by the little frownie face and no indication that it's a joke that you really believe that. Actually doing that would be prohibitively expensive in the extreme.

Let's bring some reality back to this thread.

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye

Couple of corrections:

1) Few, not most, of the Doctor Who DVDs have remade SFX, primarily due to cost but also because not all stories have sufficient/any visual effects that can be replaced. In fact, there are fans who object to simple improvements like title sequences being replaced by better transfers from the master copy in the archive (they feel that replacing them loses some of the archive quality of the original!).

2) Not all Doctor Who fans are supportive of replacement visual effects, which is why all Doctor Who DVDs that have them are set to the original effects as default (the remade effects are an option). The same applies to sound for those stories where a 5.1 remix is possible; the original mono/stereo (depending on era) mix is always offered.

Personally I'm all in favour of these sorts of extra options as long as the cleaned-up originals (both visual and audio) are there for those that want 'em. That way, everybody wins.

Jake Yenor

Stunt Coordinator
CBS annouced it! Begins airing on CBS starting Sept 16th with one episode a week. More than just space scenes are changed. CGI characters will be added to fill out places and matte paintings are cgi'ed as well. Also the theme song is re-recorded as is other music on the show it seems. Plust technical mistakes will be fixed. Michael Okuda seems to be in charge of this.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Insider/

First offical image from CBS:

Patrick.C

Second Unit
The first episode is scheduled to air just over two weeks from now. I'm amazed that they were able to keep it under wraps this long.

Jake Yenor

Stunt Coordinator
I am suprised no one at Paramount who is working on the cgi stuff which based on the release had to be going on for quite some time never leaked anything. Shocking.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Aw, man……

First, HD-DVD, now this… What can I say, I have absolutely no will power where A/V stuff is concerned. I don't know why I don't just give my bank account# out to the studios, it would save time (actually, my wife informed me she would be pissed if I did – what's that bumper sticker, again? "My wife told me that if I bought one more A/V component, she would leave me. Man, I am going to miss her." J/K :D). What's next, an interactive holodeck version?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Holy Cow! Thanks for the link Jake. I am thinking of that last line in Planet of the Apes that Charleston Heston utters upon seeing the Statue of Liberty. They really did it!

They were right when Bill Hunt said it was the best kept secret in Hollywood, 2 years to do this! I am feeling better knowing that Michael Okuda and his wife have been running this project and their comments that they respected the vision of Roddenberry and what he would have done.

What they described of the work done sounded like okay augmentations to the show. Also sounds like some scenes will look like the Mos Isely Space Port scene in A New Hope when they first arrive and see all the activity moving about when Okuda said they added people to some scenes.

The new CGI Enterprise does look good. Though I hope the engine effects look more like the real thing! By that I mean the actual effects on the engine nacelles had real lights inside with a moving blade inside that added to the effect.

I'll have to hear the new music before I comment on that.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Just read/skimmed this thread.

What a bloodbath :D The bickerer in me loves it.

Some thoughts from this thread:

1) Paramount (not the creator) is doing this for several reasons.

a) To raise awareness of the property in preps for the 2008 release.
b) LFL has shown a stalwart business model for limited home video product...the ability sell essentially the same thing over and over and over with minimal changes. It's a cash cow, as long as the consumers treat it as such.
c) Probably to test out some things for future efforts.

2) If they offer both options in HD, then I see no major issues with it. Especially if on the same release.

3) It will look weird, and I cannot fathom how it would improve the series. Perhaps DS9 and TNG would benefit from the upgrade, but TOS exists in it's own world.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

ON the other hand, BOTH versions are included - the cleaned up effects and the old school rocket on a string. That way everyone is happy - if you want flash, you get it and if you want it the original way, you get it. If Paramount did that, I'd have no problem with it, but the way it stands now - Oi Vay!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks