What's new

Star Trek in HD - with revised special effects? (1 Viewer)

Brian Wolman

Auditioning
Last week NBC in New York slipped in the CGI revised episode BALANCE OF TERROR before 3 am, despite a planned time of 3:35 am. I was annoyed I only got to see the last 9 minutes of the show.

However, Last night, I managed to tivo and record THE DEVIL IN THE DARK.
I am 46 and somewhat remember Star Trek when it was first run, really got into it with reruns starting in 1972 when I was 12.

To me it was always about the stories and characters.

It was fantastic Paramount struck new prints from the original negatives.
So, yes I was thrilled the show looked better than it ever did, the colors more vibrant, and the detail on the prints were outstanding.
The theme song in full stereo also was wonderful.
The CGI shots of the enterprise blended well with the original footage and were impressive.

The print presented was heavily edited, unfortunately, clocking in under 43 minutes w/o commercials. What, you couldnt show uncut episodes at 3 in the morning, NBC? G4 channel does regularly on weekend afternoons.

That said, nevertheless, I think the whole CGI replacement thing is pointless and just done to milk the ST cash cow.
I thought the original process shots were just fine and lovely...

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I will not be buying them in HD I just bought the whole Franchise I will buy an upconvert DVD player if They insist

JulianK

Supporting Actor
I've been watching the UK Blu-ray release of season one.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but the computer's dialogue is missing on the English 2.0 tracks on The Menagerie Part I.

It's apparent in at least a couple of scenes, for example the scene where Spock is requesting information about the shuttle following the Enterprise (about 19m into the episode).

It's present on the 5.1 audio.

Does the US set have the same problem?

I've tried a general Google search for the problem, but couldn't find any reference to it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Julian, I've not seen The Menagerie with the 2.0 audio track, I've been watching with the 5.1 audio.

I'll make a note to check that. I'd be surprised the audio is altered as they left the original mono track intact. At least that was the intent. I would imagine anything is possible!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Julian, I've watched the scene where Spock is requesting information on the shuttlecraft following them. I've watched the scene in both 2.0 and 5.1 DTS. In both instances, the computer dialogue is heard. Though on the 5.1 version, the audio engineers somehow managed to mute the sound of the computer as it's "thinking". It's still there, just not as loud. Or perhaps they just boosted the dialogue tracks. Could you be interpreting the short bit of silence as the computer thinks before it replies to Spock as missing dialogue? Then later when Kirk orders voice command to override Spock's program to take them to Talos, the computer's voice is there too. My blu ray set is the U.S. Edition.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Thanks for checking, Nelson.

I'm now pretty certain it's a problem that only affects the UK set (which is probably the one on sale throughout Europe).

It's definitely missing dialogue. The computer says nothing between Spock's two questions. All you can hear are the sound effects.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow Julian, that's a big goof!

On the Enterprise fly-by right at that scene, on the 5.1 version, you hear the roar of the ship as it passes. On mono, you hear nothing on my US set. For what that's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks