What's new

Star Trek in HD - with revised special effects? (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
"Young minds, fresh ideas. Be tolerant"- Admiral Kirk

After having some time to look at the new beauty shot, I am becoming more interested in seeing what these new effects will look like. And also, I have a recollection of Gene Roddenberry commenting at the time of Star Trek The Motion Picture that the film will have the budget and means to do things he couldn't do in the series. In the series, he was limited to plywood and foam sets. With the film, he's got the means to build the sets and models the way he would have liked to.

So I would think that if he were here today, he'd be open to this. Though we still have to see the final product. On a Trek forum, there was a side by side image like the ones above CGI next to live action. The difference is still a bit jarring. CGI is so clean and sharp and the live action film is a bit soft from the film grain.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I think the point is that we want the originals in HD as well as the CGI versions. By saying "you have your originals on DVD" is missing the point. Will these be in 16x9 also I wonder....

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Reading this thread is like having teeth pulled. I never thought there would be a bunch who could topple the Star Wars crowd for their bitter hyperbole, but you guys have done it spectacularly. Bravo.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

Any hyperbole in this thread is completely overshadowed by useless posts like yours. If you don't like the thread, then don't read it, and don't respond to it.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I'm confused about all the consternation surrounding this. Has Paramount ever said that they plan to make the original episodes unavailable? Have they ever said that these are meant to replace the originals somehow?

The only reason Star Wars fans have been up in arms about the Special Editions is because they replaced the originals. Something special was taken away from that fan base, and they were told they would never get it back again. Is that happening here? Well, one could point out the lack of availability of the original theatrical cut of ST:TMP on DVD, but as I recall, in the entire history of that film on video, the original theatrical cut was only offered breifly, on letterboxed laser and VHS only, all the other tapes and discs were the "14 minutes extra" version. I guess my point is that Paramount has always given this one title the shaft. We shouldn't assume that the same thing will happen to all 79 episodes of original Trek.

I'm damn curious to see what they come up with. I'm going to just sit back, relax, and have fun watching these. But I'll keep my beloved DVD originals.

Blake Siefken

Stunt Coordinator
???QUESTION???

When they air the new versions, will they trim them down from 50 min. to 42 min. to fit modern time slots and more commercials?

PS. Are they even going to bother with redoing that ridiculous Jack the Ripper episode?

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't be surprised if this was not broadcast in HD. That way to finally get them in HD, you will have to buy season sets at like $500 a pop.
So not just the FX, the music has been re-recorded, at least the theme. If they do indeed re-record other music passages the sound difference from the 60's dialog and sound effects to a modern recording of music tracks, probably done on the cheap on a synth might be jarring. Are they replacing sound effects as well?
And once again, "you purists have your versions on DVD already" is missing the point. I'm sure many people want the original versions on HD as well, grainy cheesy FX and all...

"STAR TREK redefined science-fiction and constantly pushed the envelope with concepts that were ahead of their time," said John Nogawski, president of CBS Paramount Domestic Television. "By giving the series a digital upgrade using the best technology available today, it will continue to be a leader in cutting-edge television programming as we introduce the series to a new generation of viewers..."

How are you gonna explain the contrast between the spiffy new CGI FX and the VERY 60's TV era lighting, clothing, makeup, acting styles and hairdos....
Ah, the poor younger generation, gotta make everything easy for them to digest....
and the ones who care so much about "digital" quality that they load up their ipods to the brim with tinny sounding heavily compressed mp3's... Yep, some new whizzing CGI ships will really draw them into the show....
By re-doing the effects and not just perhaps restoring them and refining them it implies that the all the hard work done by all those super talented craftspeople is basically worthless today. Sad IMHO...

but what do I know...?

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

From the rolling eyes and "like having teeth pulled" comments, I'd say they aren't enjoying it as much as you may be. And I'd say that "overblown" posts are an appropriate response to the "overblown" treatment that Paramount/CBS is giving Star Trek.

Paramount, tell me I can get the untouched originals on HD-DVD and I'll shut up.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Exactly. If they release the originals on HD this thread would be alot less SW-like...

Also, one a week... how long will they take? 79 weeks in a row? Seasons with reruns...?

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
I just want to know what's hyperbolic about saying it's wrong to muck about with someone else's work of art (especially without their permission), whether that constitutes colorization, pan'n'scanning, bowdlerization, or replacing models with CG?

With Star Wars or Star Trek: The Motion Picture, I'm willing to consider whether the alterations are an improvement (no on one, yes on two), but here it's just wrong.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
"digitally remastered episodes of the iconic 1960s sci-fi series, with all new special effects and music..."

It's so iconic that we're replacing much of it...

is it me...?

as Buffy would say, "Irony, much?"

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
If the comments were kept to what is being done with Trek. The excess comes from all the overblown 'what if they do this' remarks. That is what the comments about hyperbole are referring to.

Keep the discussion on the Trek enhancements and provide reasonable points to support one's position. The extraneous rhetoric is of no value.

Also it is impossible to judge the quality of the work being done for each episode based on ONE beauty shot. As Nelson mentioned, reserve your judgement until there is a larger sample of work to base judgement upon.

That wait should not be too long. Sept 16th I believe, Balance of Terror, is scheduled to be broadcast. Until then try to keep an open mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks