What's new

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I'm surprised that Paramount didn't clean up some of the lines in the matte work.
Are you talking about "Director's Edition" of TMP? If so, many of the shots were digitally recomposited from the original elements to completely eliminate matte lines and to allow the first generation quality to shine through. This couldn't be done for every shot as there were cases where they didn't have all of the elements.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
I was referring to both. There are still problematic matte lines that crop up throughout the film In the DE as well. Don’t get me wrong, they aren’t horrible but they are noticeable. They did a marvelous job 0n the restoration. They could have digitally come back in and corrected them. They also could have done the same for the theatrical cut.

Last edited:

Britton

Screenwriter
They also could have done the same for the theatrical cut.
Glad more wasn't done to the theatrical cut based on the few hack job "fixes" that were done to it. Still not sure why it wasn't left alone what with the DE getting the 4K treatment.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Star Trek: The Motion Picture and my short film The Adventures of Terrific Man have an interesting connection - my high school guidance counselor, William J. Hickey, appeared in both! He was a crew member extra in Star Trek and played the President in Terrific Man.
BillHickey-TM.jpg TM_BW 8x10.jpg
BillHickey_ST-TMP02.jpg
BillHickey_ST-TMP01.jpg

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
No need since you didn't actually ask for a refund - right?
No. I express my displeasure and ask what the options are. Usually they apply some type of credit for the inconvenience and offer to replace or return for a refund. I certainly didn’t expect the result I got and expressed my gratitude.

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
We watched the 4K Director's Edition over the weekend and loved it. I remember seeing this in the theater when it came out, but I haven't seen it in a long time. The three subsequent Star Trek films overshadowed it, and those were the films I watched multiple times. I don't remember enough of the original release to identify what has been changed or added, and I still need to dig into the extras. But this version is excellent.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Star Trek: The Motion Picture and my short film The Adventures of Terrific Man have an interesting connection - my high school guidance counselor, William J. Hickey, appeared in both! He was a crew member extra in Star Trek and played the President in Terrific Man.
View attachment 153239 View attachment 153240 View attachment 153238 View attachment 153237
A large portion of the people were who were in those shots were Star Trek (Classic) fans who had been invited to participate. AFIAK the ones in Alien make-up were paid professionals with some human professionals as well. They were given general dialogue to respond to. As well generic information about what was on the viewscreen. It's arguably the same thing as having Civil War reenactors do um Civil War scenes in movies/TV shows about the Civil War.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
A large portion of the people were who were in those shots were Star Trek (Classic) fans who had been invited to participate. AFIAK the ones in Alien make-up were paid professionals with some human professionals as well. They were given general dialogue to respond to. As well generic information about what was on the viewscreen. It's arguably the same thing as having Civil War reenactors do um Civil War scenes in movies/TV shows about the Civil War.
Bill Hickey was very big on the Star Trek convention circuit in the 1970s and early 1980s, and was one of those Super Fans that were invited to that shoot. In fact, George Takei, Walter Koenig, and Nichelle Nichols encouraged him to nudge his way up from the fourth row to the second row between takes (or so the legend goes). Those in the front row were paid extras.

He was one of the producers of our annual high school musical, and also appeared in my follow up to Terrific Man which I’m beginning to transfer from Super 8 to HD video, Warren’s Revenge.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I've read complaints on another site about the DNR. The theatrical and SLV have less of it. Any thoughts?

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
My Complete Adventure arrived and I couldn’t be happier. The packaging is so small! The photos made it look like one big ole box of junk but is amazingly small. Well done!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've read complaints on another site about the DNR. The theatrical and SLV have less of it. Any thoughts?

Theatrical and SLV come from the same master, while the director’s edition was put back into post production and finished as if it was a new film. I didn’t see any excessive DVR but the producers of this edition did talk about removing original grain in some areas where it was inconsistent from shot to shot and then putting in new grain to retain a film-like look with more consistency. They also had access to original 65mm effects plates and elements and recomposited them digitally, which means that a lot of shots that were poorly done opticals with heavy grain in the original release are now very clean and very clear - but that’s not DNR, that’s just what the elements look like when you’re not seeing copies many generations removed from the original work.

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
Received my set from the UK today (happy to save $20 over the US version and get two extra discs).
Good lucking finding the bonus disc! Looks like they planned this release for only four discs. The fifth disc is there, but not where you'd notice it.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Received my set from the UK today (happy to save $20 over the US version and get two extra discs).
Good lucking finding the bonus disc! Looks like they planned this release for only four discs. The fifth disc is there, but not where you'd notice it.
Why the He** aren't I told these things! :D

Something in $Post #14 in this same thread ...
1663131231350.png
;)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
My copy of the TMP box is due today… but it hasn’t shipped yet. So, yeah, I’m not getting it today.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Just got an email from amazon, saying my Star Trek: The Motion Picture Directors Edition in 4K boxed set will be delayed till October 4. Did any of you get a similar message? And how many of you got yours?

--jthree

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
check to see if amazon sent you an email? if you got it from amazon.

--jthree
Been checking all day!
If it doesn’t come today, I’m going to Best Buy tomorrow.

Update: Got the delay email. Cancelled order. Went to Best Buy on way home, picked it up.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
So, I had a pretty lousy day. Had an appointment about 20 miles away this morning, but a bridge I had to cross to get there has been under construction and traffic has been really bad, so I gave myself 90 minutes, even though Google said it’d take 42 minutes (and it usually takes 25).

When the electronic traffic sign at the foot of the bridge said it would be another 85 minutes to my exit, I followed everyone else, jumped the divider and took a more circuitous route that added about 10 miles. I got to my appointment with 3 minutes to spare.

I go in, and the woman at reception says all their computers are down, so they are rescheduling everyone. I had to laugh, and I told her what I’d been though to get there. But I knew there was nothing she could do.

About that time, I got the email from Amazon saying my TMP set would not come today and would take another 10 days to reach me. Knowing Amazon, I knew there was no guarantee there wouldn’t be further delays.

I figured I could either drive past Best Buy on my way home (the web site said they had 2 in stock) or I could go to the park and practice primal scream therapy.

I went to Best Buy. They had both boxes - TMP and the 6 film set, which I’d also ordered and which was also delayed (supposed to arrive this Saturday). I bought both, came home and canceled my Amazon order. Amazon canceled the TMP box, but said the 6 film set was being prepared for shipping, and sure enough, it shipped an hour later, and is now supposed to arrive Friday. I’m going to refuse the package.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I’m going to refuse the package.
You would be better off simply returning it. Refused packages often get lost at the Amazon warehouse it gets sent back to by the carrier, and then you will have to fight with Amazon to get a refund.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks