What's new

Star Trek in HD - with revised special effects? (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah 2.0 is G4's Bastardization of Trek, I think more people should complain about that it truely is horrendous

Bryan Krantz

Stunt Coordinator
I never understood everyones problem with the ENTERPRISE intro. The show is supposed to be more contemporary and the images of mankind's progression to the stars demonstrated the link between present day and the Star Trek future. As for the use of a pop song as the theme, again a more contemporary touch. Such as the crew having movie night instead of having poetry recitals and putting on community theater (ie TNG)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
OK Just found a station carrying this in Western Mass. It will be shown on the same station that showed Enterprise's Syndication Run, WWLP Ch 22 in Springfield. They are showing in an an Hour Timeslot in what was Enterprise's Ungodly timeslot of Sunday Mornings at 5 A.M.

Ch 22 is an NBC Affiliate so look for these airings not necessarily on CBS stations but on whoever showed the weekend airings of Enterprise probably in the same timeslot, it looks to just be replacing Enterprise. Probably look to this as a Time filler in Between Infomercials.

So given this I really have to ask what's the point to these shows.

1st They're Edited 43 minute versions
2nd They are being aired in the Graveyard Portion of the schedules where
they will be viewed only with those with DVR's or who might work the
3rd Shift.
3rd: Most likely they will not be aired in HD this station does air it's NBC
Programs in Hidef and Cocast carries the Digital HD Station but I'm
98% sure this will be in SD especially at 5AM

So Again I ask who will see these, what's the point?

John H Ross

Screenwriter

I don't think it was the use of a pop song that was the problem (although it was hardly an ideal situation) - no I think the problem was that it was a pop song stolen from another movie ("Patch Adams" - where it was sung by Rod Stewart) and not an original track. An original song would at least have lent the opening sequence some individuality.

John

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Season 3 of Enterprise was a season-long storyline, about aliens called the Xindi attacking earth, which forced the Enterprise mission to change from being a seek out new life and new civilizations to being seek out new life and kill it. It was a heavyhanded George Bush theme that was wisely jettisoned at the start of season four when they brought in Trek fans to write the new episodes.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Well, in case the originals are not released in HD, I went ahead and bought the season sets at Costco. So far, the ones I've watched are indeed uneditted.

As a side note in reading these threads, it's interesting to read the views from different members on their take on Trek. Some go for the action, many like the "flawed" character approach (like DS9), others like the more soap opera story lines, as one stated, could go with any genre. But I havent read anyone referring to the science fiction nature of the show. And for me, TOS was the most consistent in maintaining this science fiction nature (although TNG came in second in this regard). TOS did have the advantage of using true sc-fi authors who penned the stories that the later series did not. To that end, we were introduced to a world that had evolved into a more utopian society, certainly by 1960s standards. TOS had a lot of great episodes:

(Borrowing from Friends little tagline)

1. the one about good and evil and what of those drives the various characteristics and traits of man.

2. the one about bigotry and how it is the character of a man, not his association to a species, that defines him.

3. the one about herosim and the drive to give up one's love for the greater good.

4. the one about man's innate characteristic to kill and wage war and how we could overcome it

5. the one about absolute law and order being the answer to acheiveing a peaceful abd tranquil utopian existence, allowing a small period of time of reckless abandon to satisfy our innate characteristic of "evil"

6. the one about absolute power corrupting absolutely

There are SO many more like this in the series that for me, makes Star Trek great. No tinkering with special effects, adding CGI people, CGI ships, changing battle sequences, etc. will improve on this or further develop these and other core themes.

By now, these themes and ideas may be considered cliche and trite, but in the 60's, this was radical. These were NEVER dealt with in prime time drama. "Fascinating" though that I find that these episodes are more relevant with our Bush times than the other series, which may indicate how we've come full circle.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So who here that has posted has actually purchased the entire franchise?? or is trying to do so??

Although I had sworn not to indulge in it, I have since decided to begin doing so because I was afraid if I didn't do it now, Paramount would pull them and vault them in a similar manner to what Disney does with their films.

I now have 3 of the 5 Series' completed (TOS, DS 9 and TNG) and all 10 Films and I have Season 1 of Voyager ... So far I am not impressed by voyager but I won't prejudge it until I watch a bit to see if I can follow whats going on...

And Keep in mind that Enterprise is set in the 22nd century while Vulcan is not yet as civil as it appears in other series' and movies. Ive caught some of that on the local UPN network where I live in syndication. I didn't think it was so bad

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I plan to pick up the Time Travel package and the original Trek season sets now that the prices are falling.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

Um, that would be me. Except for the Animated series which comes out in November. I imagine I'll plunk down the cash for that as well.

John H Ross

Screenwriter

I've bought the whole lot. TOS and TNG on DVD. DS9, VOY, Enterprise and The Animated Series on VHS. And the movies on DVD.

I'm looking to upgrade the 3 latter shows on DVD when the price is right - and looking at the current price of DS9 over at Amazon the time for that could very well be now! :)

John

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
"So who here that has posted has actually purchased the entire franchise?? or is trying to do so??"

Much of the franchise is sitting here in the final "version" I intend to buy in this lifetime. I won't have Voyager in the house; otherwise either my wife or I have the films and the series on our shelves.

I've found the local station that will be carrying this revamped version, and I'll look in to satisfy my curiosity. But having seen the episodes over and over again since 1967, I'm at the point where I can say that whatever Paramount chooses to do with 'em, it won't bother me. Like the author who was asked how Hollywood had ruined his books, and he replied - more or less - "Hollywood didn't do anything to my books. They're right there on the shelf."

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

I would'nt say it was a Bush theme, it was a thinly veiled 9/11 allegory. In the End thou Starfleet it on a Mission of Vengence, higher values prevail and Archer even ends up Befriending one of the main Xindi Leaders. I agree it was a mis-step even thou it was a pretty decent season, the events of Season 4 could of been happening in Season 3. The producers were all patting themselves on the back with the Xindi Storyline, it really was'nt that smart.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I only own 30 of the 40 volumes of TOS. I cant stand Spock's Brain, and Plato's Stepchildren, among others. I own the first 4 seasons of TNG. I have the Borg set, and the Klingon set. No DS9, or VOY sets on DVD. I own TAS on LD and will buy it on DVD. I have the first 4 movies, and Generations as well as First Contact. Been a Trek fan since 1971 when i happened to turn the TV just as a giant space ship was falling into an ameba.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

Star Trek 2.0 is regular Star Trek shrunken down to a window in the middle of the screen and while trivia about the episode and show runs at the top and chat from the Star Trek 2.0 website runs on the bottom.

It's not a good way to discover Star Trek but it's fun for the trivia. I DVR it and run it at 2X speed and read the trivia and dispose of the episode in about 10 minutes.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Same save that I don't have Voyager at all. If it ever drops in price to something reasonable I might consider, if only to be a completist, but I'm not particularly keen to acquire it. Likewise Enterprise, but since that's only 4 seasons and therefore roughly half the price, I am more likely to bite.

TAS I will buy on release in November. It's the only Trek I've never watched, so once I sit through that, I will have watched all of it I think -- I may have missed the odd episode of TNG or TOS here and there, and to this day I haven't managed to re-watch all of it on DVD yet; Voyager I watched in full during its broadcast here, DS9 I watched in full on DVD -- oh hang on, there's at least one or two eps I haven't because of a defective disc during my "run", which was only replaced later. Need to go back to complete DS9...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks