What's new

Star Trek in HD - with revised special effects? (1 Viewer)

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit

How is going to alien planets with fantastic environments and encountering un-humanoid and hostile life forms, or hermetically sealed and genuinely dangerous alien societies, on those planets, or being confronted with space
phenomena capable of wreaking havoc on our corner of the universe, boring?

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I *DO NOT* want a CGI USS ENTERPRISE.
The old one looked real enough and it had 3d MASS-
CGI is too perfect and somehow looks "wrong" in light and movements-flat 2-d.
Just build a bigger, more detailed model.

CGI just stands out like a sore thumb-you look at it and note while watching "CGI-good/ok/crappy" but youre still distracted by it...

REAL MODEL OF ENTERPRISE or else!

Roddenberry will personally see to it (with a helping hand from the great bearded one)that Paramount/CBS stock falls by 20% in a week!

capiche?

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

I feel the same way about it. CGI certainly has its place, but it's waaay overused in modern films and television.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Will, Thanaks a lot for the information on that site. I only wish I had looked earlier ...I've shelled out money at what I thought were bargain prices only to know now I could have done better so all I can do is laugh. I swore I wouldn't pay Paramounts prices but I'm doing it anyway LOL

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit

Standard ST-TNG episode- Riker has a reunion with his estranged father; Worf must come to terms with his young son. Boring. Can watch that sort of thing in Eight is Enough or Little House On the Prairie.

or

Troi must contend with her overbearing mother; Wesley experiences angst while he attends Stafleet Academy. Boring. Can watch that on JAG.

or

The Cardassian ambassdor beams aboard the Enterprise to negotiate a treaty. Boring. Can watch that sort of thing on CNN.

or

A computer malfunction traps the crew on the Holodeck in yet another storybook situation. Boring.

---

Standard ST-TOS episode- Kirk and company beam to a doomed and hostile planet, where they are stalked by a bizarre alien force. Captures the imagination.

or

The Enterprise must stop a lethal travelling cosmic organism before it can reproduce and threaten the galaxy. Ditto.

or

Kirk and crew encounter a unique alien civilization on an exotic planet whose population are enslaved to the dictates of an all-powerful mechanism that threatens to eradicate the Enterprise. Well, it works a few times at least.

These are pulp SF stories. The former four could be seen in any genre.

Blake Siefken

Stunt Coordinator
Trekmovie.com said the Lucased versions will be airing in the USA only. I really hope that means USA & Canada. It also looks like these will be shorter to fit more commercials.

Is anyone else looking forward to seeing what they'll do with Catspaw?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I had a thought about what the producers of this enhanced version might think about doing for a particular episode. i know this is a very unpopular idea of enhancing effects, I am there with you.

BUt I was imagining the thought process that went into this project. I would hope that Okuda would have found and used all those discarded ideas that Matt Jeffires had developed for other ships, the Enterprise and so on. They could use that material as the basis for the design work, so it will still maintain the same design philosophy that Jeffries used.

For example, in Court Martial, the Starbase that the Enterprise comes into orbit over for repairs could have a few throw away images of other ships in orbit or a space dock. Nothing too gratuitous, just quick 2 second shots to establish the setting. Same with the Menagerie.

The idea is the the CGI is not intended to be over the top, just imagery of the same design philosopy. Simple and appropriate for what Jeffries could have done in 1966. This is what I would imagine the Okudas and Rossi are up to.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

Manny Coto pulled off a miracle and made good Star Trek out of Enterprise in Season 4. But it unfortunataly was not enough to save it.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=241378
Talk about pompousness and elitism! (for the curious read how the others felt about that little remark)

I just find it irritating (and amusing when someone calls me "elitist") that Enterprise's most vocal detractors are the ones who didn't actually watch the show.
TOS and TNG had far more BAD episodes than Enterprise (or even Voyager) did. Just cringe awful.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
I'm ok with the new CG rendering, but I think I'm an exception on these forums, so I'll just leave it there as I saw what happened with SW.

As far as the series go, TOS was great, but I can't say it was that much better than TNG or DS9. Greek Gods in space, or Time Travel, or the "Dreaded space monster of ultimate doom!", it was fun but it had it's drawbacks as well. At least the later series set up their "Doom" scenarios with civilizations rather than single entities.

As far as Enterprise goes, I never watched it. Why? Three reasons.

1. I wasn't terribly interested in a Prequel, alot of energy went into establishing a setting, Enterprise was like a modern remake of TOS.

2. The insistance on bringing in species that had no place in the timeline. Ferengi? Borg? They don't belong there. TOS had established quite a few species that weren't really fleshed out in the later works, they should've been focused on. Not the modern mythology for the setting. Made worse by the fact that their use of the species completely threw later timelines out of whack. No one at Starfleet noted the log entry from Enterprise regarding the Borg 200 years ago? No one had sense enough to put up a big sticky note saying "Horrible, Evil civilization expected to arrive in 200 years!" Bah!

3. The intro. It's not Star Trek. It's like Lucas using Metallica's "Creeping Death" as the intro music for Episode 3. You don't establish a form of intro for 30 years or so, then toss it out the window.

Personally, I think what Trek needs is a good old fashioned all out war that starts it's first episode with the Federation losing pretty much everything. Spend a few years fighting a losing battle to regain the key worlds and struggling to survive and build up forces, then end the series with a 2 hour climatic space battle to rival anything. Trek's now been established as a setting, go the next step and deal with it as a setting rather than as a weekly "Let's see what's on this planet!" series.

The season long storyline theme has been established now as acceptable, Trek lends itself to that kind of show. Go all Whedon/Lost/24 on it and tell one heck'uva Trek story.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, but the "lose everything" is being done with Battlestar Galactica.

Star Trek is about hope & optimism. That is its basic foundation.

As I said before, folks didn't watch "Enterprise" because of misconceptions or (gawd) the theme song. The use of other races was actually cleverly done and the Borg storyline addressed a time loop (First Contact). Pretty much everyone agreed it was well done.

Watch the show, its on DVD. Netflix it or whatnot. At least seasons 3 & 4.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

Any attitude I may have showed on occasion pales in comparision to your regular, everyday posts on this forum. I could dig up any number of posts where you come off as a condescending jerk and/or a know-it-all, if that's the game you want to play.

I tried to watch the show. It was bad, so I gave up mid-way through season 2. I like how you automatically assume that anyone who criticizes the show does so out of ignorance or other negative characteristics. Because, you know, they can't possibly have a valid, differering opinion on something than you do. Oh no, because you're always right. :rolleyes

Alex-A

Stunt Coordinator
I'll add my two-cents worth here, and I fully expect to rattle a few cages here...

I haven't watched all of TOS. I have seen episodes here and there when I actually had the time a few years ago. From what I saw, it was quite interesting and caught my attention. Nearly every day I'd be waiting for the next episode to come on so I could see more of it. If these redone episodes get aired in Canada, I might have a chance to see them first-run. If not, I have other means of aquiring them.

Now, for the record, the original effects didn't bother me all that much when I was watching the show. I wasn't alive when the show first aired, not by a longshot. That doesn't make the show unwatchable. I enjoyed it every bit as someone who grew up with it did. However, I am still interested in seeing these new episode just to see what they have done. I am not sure if this site has been seen by any of you, but if not then go check it out: http://www.trekenhanced.com/ This site has clips of redone effects shots done by one man simply because he wanted to do it. Those of you who think redone effects is just plain wrong should check out the side-by-side comparison of The Doomsday Machine. If these new effects are anything like what this fellow created, I'm all for it.

As for all the bitterness around here regarding Enterprise and Voyager and all the so-called "crappy" shows, I believe some people need to learn that you cannot forcibly change one's opinions on a show with just mere words. If someone hates Enterprise, they'll always hate it. Same goes for Voyager, DS9, or any other show for that matter. Claiming that they hate it without ever seeing the show is moot. It's their opinion, leave it at that. I personally enjoyed Voyager, and Enterprise. Sure they have episodes that make you groan, but I will not let that get in the way of me watching a show that I enjoy. So people didn't like the direction they went with the Enterprise theme. Who cares. I thought it fit the show perfectly. Where have humans been, where we are right now, and where we're going. I found that much more entertaining and meaningful than a few starship flybys with credits scrolling by.

Sometimes I find it amusing to see all the people here berating each other because of the opinions they hold. You cannot please every person on the planet. What some people like, others will hate. It's a fact of life. That's my opinion.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I just saw the article on SciFi's web site today about revamping the original Star Trek series. My first thought was what the heck ...... But after a few moments of thinking about it I am actually interested in seeing what they have done to the series and how it looks compaired to the absolute original. I how ever really want to buy the original series on dvd now. Just to have the originals to watch when ever I want. As far as the updated series goes if I like what I see I will continue to watch it.

Its kinda like when Battlestar Galactica was redone. I am sure there where alot of people that where not happy with them making changes to that series ether. I was not sure if I would like the new spin off the original series even though alot of the original episodes where kinda cheesy. After seeing the new Battlestar Galactica I love it more than the original.

As far as Star Trek goes I have enjoyed every spin off they have done. I may not like every episode but they have done a great job keeping Star Trek alive. If I made better money I would most likely have every Star Trek series (not talking about the movies) on dvd. Heck I allready own all the Star Trek movies on dvd. Am considering purchasing some of them again in HD?

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
According to Comcast Digital Cable (here in suburban Detroit, MI) Star Trek 2.0 will be on G4. I just added it to my DVR future recordings list.

This is not an HD station (which sux) but I am excited to start watching TOS again. My dad is a huge fan from way back and commented that he can't wait to see the new enhanced show. He was in Vietnam when the original show aired and never got to see them in prime time.

To each his own, I say. If you hate the idea, don't watch it.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

I have to disagree. I think Trek has been at its best when it dealt with exploration and character interaction. Space battles are cool and all, but from what I've read and seen, Roddenberry never wanted Trek to be about war and battle.

Enterprise had so much potential to be great, but the frustrating and pointless time-travel story arcs, the uninteresting characters, the Vulcans as dickheads, and Scott Bakula as a starship captain all made it somewhere short of mediocre IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks