What's new

Star Trek in HD - with revised special effects? (1 Viewer)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Yea, soon it will be time to change the bottom picture from The Animated Series. But change it to what, i dont know. Might have to look for a Blade Runner picture to pimp that deluxe special edition for next year, or the year after...who knows.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I think this is a pathetic idea. I'm going to assert that, if Star Trek were simply given a clean transfer from the original film elements and put on in prime time, not to speak of the usual syndication time slots, it would do just fine, thus making alterations a waste from a business perspective. That said, it's only what one would expect. Star Trek has been treated shabbily from the get-go by television executives who didn't understand its appeal — NBC worked very hard to kill it in the first place, and Paramount has always seemed a little embarrassed by having a money-maker in among their stable of awful shows. (UPN programming? Ugh.) The spinoff shows have tried to remedy the percieved flaws of the original, in particular by trying to "attract a wider audience", without bothering whether they were driving off the existing fanbase in the process. Let's all say it together : Star Trek was an episodic series, which had severe continuity problems (some of which can be traced to long lead times for episodes, with insufficient communication among the authors, so that they contradicted each other by accident). On the other hand, the only "hook" the spinoff series have found for story arcs seems to be Galactic War to the Knife, which is almost always the lazy way out. The first few seasons of Deep Space Nine were interesting because, if you recall that Roddenberry's original pitch was "Wagon Train to the stars", it had the feel of "Fort Apache in space", but the later episodes, while entertaining, weren't as interesting, to me at least. Where a continuity has been established, it's generally against the original stories. If "Warp 10" is infinite velocity, and the "Transwarp Drive" just turns you into a slug, what were the Kelvans doing when they thought they were taking 200 years to cross intergalactic space at Warp Factor 14? Did anyone ask Dorothy Fontana when they decided to change the Klingon homeworld from "Klinzhai" to "Kronos-with-a-Q"? What about replacing dumpy Zefram Cochrane of Alpha Centauri with rangy Zefram Cochrane of Montana? Enterprise was particularly bad about this, but to be fair, they didn't really advertise it as any form of Star Trek, not even putting the name into the title until the third season, and I thought they did a wonderful job with the Andorians. I had to cringe when Archer introduced himself as an agent of "Starfleet", since that term always means the Federation Star Fleet, and the Federation didn't come into existence until after the Romulan Wars (heck, it was still new in Kirk's time — besides Journey to Babel, Garth of Izar was still alive!). Where did this paramilitary organisation of Archer's come from, and why couldn't the model artists have at least painted UESPA on the hull? I'll undoubtedly watch at least a couple of episodes, if it even comes on in my area, to see what they've done. I don't expect to be thrilled. We had lots of old shows on broadcast here up until about ten years ago, The Rifleman and all kinds of things besides Star Trek, but now it's all Spanish-language, "paid programming", and so-called Religious TV preaching about how you can enlarge your male member with the Prayer of Jabez if you donate to Pastor Bob. :frowning:

Bill>Moore

Second Unit

I'm one of those wackos. I have TOS, TNG and DS9 in their complete glory. I have seasons 1-3 of Voyager. I bought them as they came out (like the others), but real life circumstances prevented me from picking up the others as they came out and then I just wasn't willing to pay $100 for the seasons any more. When they drop in price like the other series have, I'll pick up the rest of Voyager. Despite it's many flaws, I still enjoyed it. Enterprise I have on my own DVDs I made of the show when it aired. Not sure how long I might wait before I buy the official released versions of the show.

I'm VERY curious to check out the enhanced version of TOS, but I'm skeptical about it, too. I don't really care for the idea at all, but would be ok with it if they also release the originals on HD DVD. These enhanced versions will surely be available, so it would be very much desired that the unaltered versions should be available, too.

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
I'd like to see this new hi-def, new music, new effects, new transfer, etc. If it sucks, it sucks. As said many times before, the originals aren't going anywhere and will continue to be available in a very good form (and most likely in hi-def sooner or later). The new versions may indeed breathe new life into the shows people have seen mant, many times. If CBS/Paramount wants to shell out the bucks on this endeavor, than more power to them. I look forward to their release.

BTW, Is there an all-encompassing list of the stations who will be airing the new versions in two weeks?

mike.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
"...bringing TREK to a whole new generation!!"

"2:05 am on a sunday morning..."

The ironies continue.

LATEST UPDATE! Paris Hilton is the new singer of the classic TREK opening theme!!!!!

Well, if they really wanna be modern...
:)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Where do we line up to shoot ourselves? (And by that I mean "Bullet In The Head", not needle in the arm...)

:D

Oh well, who knows what sort of abominations those money-grubbers might unleash on us.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I found a listing for it on my old UPN station. Looks like it's gonna be on 12 noon Sundays in the Albany, NY area.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Anyone in the Dallas area, this will be airing on the old UPN 21--at 3am! Good grief. I'm guessing it will not be shown in HD, since this channel almost never plays anything in HD outside of prime time. When an episode of Veronica Mars was played late because of a Mavs game, it was in SD. And, the weekend broadcast of Enterprise is always SD.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Dave-

I posted the following info on the other thread, but I think many here will find it interesting:

Trek Movie.com has station listings. These are not complete and they welcome any input for missing station information.

Additionally, on this site, there's an interview with one of the producers of the enhanced effects. Plus Roddenberry's son comments. Click on the News tab on top of the page.

http://trekmovie.com/tos-in-hd/hdtv-...-channel-list/

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sure Dave, I was looking for it too and I couldn't find anything. Former UPN station KBHK has changed call letters to KBCW since CBS bought them. I can't imagine KPIX showing Star Trek, so KBCW makes more sense. If it's on KPIX though, there's a chance its in HD.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Sorry for stepping out of left field for a moment here, but can anyone tell me where I can buy TOS right now, at the cheapest price, on Std-DVD? Have the sets come down in price any, or will they? I'd prefer to buy at the store rather than online. Thanks.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
TheDigitalBits.com has a report up on the site with info from the producers. Sounds like this could be okay, even though I hardly think it is necessary.

BTW, this isn't the first time this has been done. The Star Trek 2006 wall calender features CGI of the ships from TOS; some of them are well done. http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Ship...e=UTF8&s=books

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That was an interesting interview with the Enhanced Star Trek producers on the Digital Bits.

They said eventual DVD release. But no word as to whether an HD version of non-enhanced TOS will be out on HD. I suppose the odds are in our favor for both.

They sounded like they were feeling skeptical too like many here. The respectful approach to the project does sound promising. I'm glad to hear the Enterprise won't be doing barrel rolls. Also good that the original film elements are going to be preserved as they were.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
http://trekmovie.com/2006/09/06/trek...being-changed/

"...Remastered in HD, but not available in HD?
One of the areas of confusion lately is regarding the availability to see the show in HDTV. TrekMovie.com was told that some stations would be carrying the show in HD, but since that time no listings (including on digital HD stations) seem to be in HD. When asked about this Nogawksi said that all the remastered episodes are ‘available’ in HD format, however there are issues regarding affiliates abilities to store the show in HD so for now it is being distributed in SD. He went on to say that as time went on they would try and work with affiliates who wanted to show Star Trek Remastered in HD. So it appears for the time being that the only place to see Star Trek Remastered in HD is at CBS Paramount headquarters. Another lingering question that is also vexing our friend Bill Hunt at Digital Bits, revolves around the format for the HD versions of the show. CBS said that the show in syndication was in standard 4:3 ratio, but the new HD master was in 16:9 widescreen. What is unclear is if this widescreen version crops the original show, or if it has ‘letterbox’ black bars on the left or right. Expect updates as more info comes out about HD, ratios, etc..."

Sounds like it won't be available in HD at least for now...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks