What's new

Star Trek DS9 on Blu-Ray -- Remain Ever Hopeful Thread (2 Viewers)

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Be very afraid the cases suck.

I have a couple of sets that use these mega cases, and I've had none of the issues reported. The main thing for me is no overlapping disks and hubs that keep the disks in place without requiring too much effort to remove them.

My only slight grip is that when you have a separate shelf for keeping shows handy that you are currently watching, these take up more space then a single season at a time.

Has anyone ever done a comparison of the video quality between the UK PAL versions to the US NTSC versions. I have the PAL versions since they were so much cheaper. The only reason I would purchase these cheaper NTSC sets is if there is a noticeable improvement.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
7 discs seems to be one too many for the slim cases, so they have to go to the chunky ones like S7 in the pic is in. So the epikpaks save space and materials.
Exactly. My BR TOS set is in 2 "chunky," 7 disc cases and 1 "slim," 6 disc case. I thought that odd until I realized the disc count was different for S3 (S1=7, S2=7, S3=6). I'd have been quite happy had it been in a single Epik-Pak but at least it's standard cases instead of paperboard sleeves. I'm not crazy about overlapping discs in the Epik-Paks but that still beats some of the alternate methods of storage.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Exactly. My BR TOS set is in 2 "chunky," 7 disc cases and 1 "slim," 6 disc case. I thought that odd until I realized the disc count was different for S3 (S1=7, S2=7, S3=6). I'd have been quite happy had it been in a single Epik-Pak but at least it's standard cases instead of paperboard sleeves. I'm not crazy about overlapping discs in the Epik-Paks but that still beats some of the alternate methods of storage.

Same thing happened with the X-Files, which is where I first noticed it. All the seasons were six discs, except one, which was seven. That case was the chunkier one.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I do. At least Shout Factory releases quality complete series sets with lots of extras(and books!) and great cases.

And the booklets are incredibly informative, at least on the all-in-ones of Barney Miller and The Bob Newhart Show (I have those): history and genesis of the show, and a complete episode breakdown (although there is one minor foulup on the Miller one, in that the first season's worth is shown to have 7 eps. on disc 1, and six on disc 2 [Shout! had adapted the original Sony releases for the first three seasons' worth, and that first Sony release had 9 eps. on disc 1, and four on disc 2]).

Attached is a scan of the pages of that erroneous arrangement...

barneymillerbookletfirstseasonerror.jpg

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
NO NEW NEWS ON DS9 IN HD.

That said, here is a great new interview with Ira Steven Behr:
https://trekmovie.com/2017/08/27/in...-something-familiar-with-star-trek-discovery/

Anthony: Let’s wrap up with returning to the subject of HD. Do you know if there has been any talk at CBS of following up the project to redo Star Trek: The Next Generation in HD with one for Deep Space Nine? Or do the figures not add up for doing it with DS9?

Ira: I am only able to comment on what has been told to me. I have not been to any of those discussions if they have been held. What I have been told is that TNG underperformed expectations. So, I have no clue if that is true, but I know DS9 has a lot of technical issues with regards to the effects and stuff. And it is not cheap and that is the bottom line. These big corporations don’t like to pay money unless they see a payoff down the line. I imagine they don’t see a payoff as of yet.

On the positive side, CBS has been much more supportive of this documentary. The Indigogo campaign really woke up a lot of people and the fans should feel really good. The fans that contributed to the campaign did a great service – not just to documentary – but to the standing of the show within this corporate environment. So kudos to them.

I remain ever hopeful.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
What should it be?

"Star Trek DS9 in HD: Nope never gonna happen Thread"?

Yes. :)

I popped in "For the Uniform" on Friday night and, honestly, it didn't look horrible. Sure, I could tell the difference between the DVD and what the BD should be showing...but it's not awful. It can always be better...but I didn't want to run for the hills at the end of the episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks